Trans America Trail on a Husqvarna 701

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BSGrimes, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Good stuff
  2. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed. The 690/701 is pretty much the only bike that not only does both on-road and off-road well, it's the only one that is prepared for the real ugly stuff if it should happen to be ahead. Not even a 790 can do the stuff a 701 can.. well, unless your name is Graham Jarvis. :lol2
  3. Chillvibe

Chillvibe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I must have just missed you at the Salt flats, I was out there around 1 PM on Thursday returning from a trip near Ibapah mountain range south of Wendover heading back towards SLC. What time did you make it out to the salt flats?

I was quite surprised how hard and grippy the salt was, like 80 grit sandpaper.
  4. BSGrimes

BSGrimes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4/5?
  5. BSGrimes

BSGrimes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jarvis is such a freak. I wonder how many people he has inspired to crash their bikes or break their necks trying to replicate his tricks.
    flying.moto likes this.
  6. sati8d

sati8d REALLY?? Eh! Oh! ca va pas non??? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that I don't agree with.
    That guy trains his ass off, having started in MX, then switched to trials, then to enduro. Most of his moves are out of trials, speed out of MX.
    Don't bash a guy for working at it...plus some natural talent obviously!
    I rode enduro as a kid at 15 on a 50cc bike. Switched to a yamaha 50 ty. Trialing is so much fun and works incredibly to improve balance and power management.
    Doing wheelies to stoppies to kiss the tree with the back tire was something I practiced 100s of times to get it right maybe 50%.
    Nope, I respect the training he does just Tony Bob. Guys are awesome.
  7. BSGrimes

BSGrimes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha. I think you misunderstood. I meant he is a freak of a good rider. He makes it look so easy. A little deceptive if you don’t also recognize all the decades of training that goes into getting that good.
    td63 and sati8d like this.
  8. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Re: 5) Just do it!

damn straight!!

i just spent a week and a half riding my most favorite bits of CO and a few new ones, by pure “just do it” way... i still wonder how many think i plan my rides more than just crayon the map :photogdirections and all, and to my amazement the direction of pass riding has been luckier than not.... and oh, back to the topic, mid October riding the passes this year was good. no snow. but. worst part was all the little towns and old mining settlements including all the best hold in the wall eateries were “closed for the season” :/

mid October was already late. sub-freezing temps in the bag every night. but, no plan scored me an awesome (free!) teepee!!

[​IMG]

excellent adventure, Bryan! thank you for taking us along!! :ricky
  9. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey BSG. I've also used an R40 on my KTM 350 EXCF when doing the TAT a couple summers ago. But, great minds think alike - I think the idea of going to an R80 with just the sidebags is a compelling one. I may do that eventually. As you say, weight lower down and also easier to get your leg up and over. You might want to check out this new thread by legendary inmate TeamFTB - he's done exactly that and has some good thoughts about the switch.
    Safe travels.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/moun...o-bikes-and-why-i-want-the-r80-on-it.1473953/
    Vikingson57 likes this.
  10. LEONS_Plant

LEONS_Plant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oregon is freezing right now, I wish I could go somewhere warm!
    BSGrimes likes this.
  11. BSGrimes

BSGrimes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That teepee is awesome. I can’t wait to go back to Colorado when it warms up a bit.
    Vikingson57 and flying.moto like this.
  12. BSGrimes

BSGrimes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like it! I also have the side racks for mine but don’t want to have to use them.
    Foot dragger and Vikingson57 like this.
  13. Ran65

Ran65 XCWILD

Oddometer:
    Great report. I'm planning on riding the TAT in 2021. On a modified KTM500. Great tips. thanks.
    Vikingson57 likes this.
  14. Vikingson57

Vikingson57 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brian, How many rear tires did you go through on the ride, I saw you mention changing them a couple of times. What tires were you running?
  15. BSGrimes

BSGrimes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I started on a MotoZ Tractionator Adventure and then switched over to the Tractionator Rallz.

I burned through the first set of tires running them low pressure on tarmac. Tire pressure was probably the biggest lesson I learned in this. With all the switching back and forth between dirt and road I finally set on running a more aggressive tire at normal road pressure as a good compromise. Adjusting pressure back and forth would have been too much of a hassle. Not going to air up and down 6 times a day.

I also probably changed my rear tires sooner than I should have, but it’s an epic trip and I wanted to have full knobby in certain sections so it was worth it at the time. In hindsight, I could have done it in two rear tires, but I changed in Moab so now am on a pretty fresh set. Better to have too much tire than too little.
  16. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fun reading along. So did you make it back to your 20 ? There was a time I pulled loads into n.y.c...... Then I started refusing all loads there. No one payed nearly enough. Most difficult city in N.A to move a big truck. Take Care Petepilot ( rtd)
  17. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Ah. I was wondering about the siderack thing. It seems like most everybody runs them on a 701 or 690. And end up leaving them on all the time cause they dont pop off and on all that quick. You've ran your tail bag and smaller sidebags for long rides and looks like no problems.

Ive read where they say 2 or 3 kilograms is what the rear of the bike will support. "supported by threaded holes in the rear gas tank" is mentioned.
    It seems like you have had no problems with loading it up with no sideracks.

Couple friends have these bikes and the oil useage is a thing with both bikes,worsening to where its a continual stink riding behind them,and they blow black smoke under hard throttle meaning running rich. Blue smoke = oil. Black smoke = rich. Im not sure what the fix is.

Im DR650 mounted since 08,but I loved the 17 701 I rode. DR as is normal has needed no repair in 50,000 miles and has been beat like a rented mule off road and on. 80mph for hours on end is pretty easy on it,and average trails are no problem.
  18. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what your point is. I have Mosko bags and they definitely pop off. I think the trick to the racks is to get some like the Vanesche to extent down to the foot peg brackets. As for the smoking bikes it seems like someone needs a better bike. Or did I misunderstand your point?
  19. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your friends need to have their bikes looked at. That is not 'normal' in any way.
  20. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I dont mean to piss you off. 2 of my friends have these 701's,both burn oil. The bike in this report burns oil. Im thinking of getting one at some point and wonder what sort of fixes have been found.
    I know bags come off.
    Yes side racks are made,most people use them. I wonder how much can really be put on the back with out racks.