Trans-America Trail Prep

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jcbr6, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Bajaexplorer

Bajaexplorer Alien

Oddometer:
    Found one link on adv, but it was broke.

Other links I found on web just did not give the information that I thought should have been there.

Meaning current temp, snow buildup, etc.

I will look some more when i get a chance, gota get back to work right now.

Found this one. Maybe they will start updating again when spring gets here.
    BushDucks Passes

Seems like there should be a web site updated daily.
  2. FBR

FBR Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I have read, the stator and clutch basket bolts should all be locktitghted on the DRZ. I have taken out, cleaned, locktighted, and reinstalled just about every bolt on my bike. I used the medium grade (blue). It was also a great way to find what tools I could need on the trail. I only use the tools I picked out to take now when I do anything to the bike. The list is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The stock kit will do 95% of what you will need, but I added a few tools (wire strippers, vise grips, allen wrenches, etc).
    I am doing the TAT on a DRZ as well, at the end of June in hopes that the passes are open.
    Good luck, maybe we will see ya out there!
  3. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    never heard that about the clutch basket.....bring some bailing wire and zip ties, along with some common nuts and bolts.
  4. Bajaexplorer

Bajaexplorer Alien

Oddometer:
    This one might be what was talked about before.

This link came from advrider, posted by (well cant find the thread now).

http://weatherspark.com/#!dashboard;ws=29941
  5. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:

My 2000 Drz went through 5 stators in five years.
  6. jcbr6

jcbr6 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Has anyone had these bolts come loose and cause damage? Or is this just done during normal inspection?
  7. FBR

FBR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they come loose and if they fall out cause a lot of damage. When I checked mine everything was tight, but I only had 400 miles on it. Sounds like it is a fairly common problem. Only took an hour of work for piece of mind. I think I read about it on ThumperTalk.
  8. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:

Sounds like my old BSA Victor 441. The stator was located next to the primary drive chain and small metal flakes would imbed in the stator and damage it. At least that was the conventional wisdom at the time.
  9. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I've had two stators crap out in 3 years. I would buy a new one from Ricky Stator and put it in before the trip......I added a kick start but haven't had any luck starting it with it well when the bike is cold.

always lock tight the stator not needed for the clutch basket.
  10. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    Like a number of you I am hitting the TAT this year solo. One item I have decided to take with me is what Bestrest calls a motorcycle recovery system. It's basically pulley system to help pull your bike out of deep mud, over unclimbable obstacles, or getting your bike on the trail should you take a little unplanned detour. Looks like a good piece of insurance for a solo rider..

I had the misfortune of having my third gear explode last year and totaling my tranny and one of the cases on my 2001DRZ. Knowing I was going to do the TAT this year I took the time while the bike was apart to lube every bearing/pivot, put on new radiator hoses and check every piece on the inside of the engine. Also did all the locktite fixes. Certainly something can still go wrong and I am thinking about a stator replacement JIC.

Good thread, thanks for all the insights. Here is a great weather trip planning site that has helped better pick my start date of August 1. http://weatherspark.com/#!dashboard;ws=29941

DH
  11. Bajaexplorer

Bajaexplorer Alien

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about taking a big game lift. Weight ratio is better as multi-loop pulley.

Can't find them now, but the snatch blocks were only about 3in width, with something like 4/1 lift ratio.

edit - I know why I can't find them, 40 years ago seem like just last week.
  12. FBR

FBR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering, are you guys running some aux stuff (hand warmers, chargers, etc) that is burning these out, or just junk stators? Its looking like I better start looking into a aftermarket set up.
  13. Dark Helmet

Oddometer:
    I will have to check that out. The one from Bestrest I am modeling after is a Z-rig 2 pulley system that reduces weight by 2/3. Link here: http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-340-motorcycle-recovery-system-mrs.aspx

Weight, a big consideration, is about 2.5 lbs.
  14. Dark Helmet

Oddometer:
    Thought I would list my DRZ mods for the TAT. In addition to having rebuild my engine as mentioned earlier, I put in new rings, new radiator hoses, locktite fixes. Lubed all bearings and pivots.

-new chain
    -rear shock rebuild with Goldvalve and heavier spring for increased gear
    -changed fork oil
    -Racetech fork springs
    -Seatconcepts seat for those long days
    -Trailtech Vapor computer. Need a much more accurate odometer than stock for roll charts. Also has Tach and radiator temp light
    -Trailtech lighting kit for improvement over stock lighting (between light and computer reduced front end weight 2.5 lbs.)
    -Highway Dirt Bikes handguards
    -Giant Loop tank bag
    -Spot GPS locator
    -emergency rescue insurance through Spot (Pretty good deal, covers two Emergency rescue costs per year, $50k coverage per. ~$17/yr)
    -Happy Trails pannier racks
    -Wolfman Expedition panniers
    -Ortlieb large duffel
    -bike already had full Yosh exhaust and 3x3 mod and jetting
    -bike retrieval system mentioned in above post
    -Zumo 550
    -Roll chart holder

DH
  15. jcbr6

jcbr6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sounds like a good setup.
  16. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    hum, didn't know about the insurance offering by Spot...that's a good deal.

Hope you have a steel rear sprocket....

BTW- the stock DRZ ODO is pretty darn accurate...speedo not so.....at least mine was. Easily adjust up and down to.

heated grips are nice to have...not a necessity..but nice to have.
  17. jcbr6

jcbr6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got some work done on the DR.

Made a tool container to fit on the tail section.

[​IMG]

checked and lubed the steering bearings.
    [​IMG]
    They needed grease. There was only a thin coat.

Checked and lubed the swing arm bearings. Also noticed the bearings in the shock linkage needed attention also.

[​IMG]

Lubed all locations and going back together.

PennADV365 stopped over with his DRz400, Going to make another rack for the back of his bike. (similar to mine)[​IMG]
  18. jcbr6

jcbr6 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Did you ever check what your stator output was ?
    Did you ever check what the current draw was with all electrical components on?

I havent done the "free power" mod yet, but thinking of doing it before the trip.
  19. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I only added 3 electric items, the heated grips, gps and ONE led light for the high beam. I can turn off the head light when using heated grips at low rpm. just wired a switch to the head light ground.

If you're only running a GPS off the battery don't worry about the drain, but would add a volt meter. The new stator I put in before starting the TAT wasn't quite up to snuf on my way home from the TAT. It supplied enough volts, but was replaced AGAIN after I got home. Was putting out 12.7 volts.

My extra LED light only comes on w/ the high beam.

monitored voltage with an idiot light. The $28 one
  20. jcbr6

jcbr6 Adventurer

Oddometer:

How much draw did the extra led light have?