Trans-America Trail Prep

Discussion in 'Americas' started by jcbr6, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Matt791

Matt791 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For information about the passes try http://bushducks.com/.

I think the lists are fine. Your bike prep looks like it is good. For my WR I would run my stock jetting till I got to Colorado mountains and then jet for 6000 ft. Run that till Utah then go back to stock. Once you get to the sand in Utah you will want the richer jetting. Takes alot of power to get through sand and a bike that is jetted a little rich will run cooler. Just my 2 cents.

Have a great trip. My son and I are trying to get our schedules right so we can do that this or next summer.
  2. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    hell I don't know???? :roflI just used one. depends on which type you get. I put it on for emergency running at night and for being seen sometimes in high traffic..... could have used two at night though.

Jetting will be a hit miss I assume??? Some people have issues and some don't I was lucky as my DRZ had a slight surging/lean issue at 500 feet, but at 12,000 I noticed the surging GONE. Power was down some though and as luck wold have it due to a busted chain an trashed 15T sprocket I had to use the 13T for Colorado. Went back to a 15 T at Utah.

If you have rejetted the carb w/ jet kit and have an adjustable needle, you can tilt the DRZ carb and pull the top to lower the needle. It takes a bit to line the needle up though.

15/44 is good 95% of the TAT. I was glad to have the 13/44 for CO, but it revs higher than I'd like at 55/60mph. If you hit mud the 15 might be a bit much. I think having the 15T with a 14T as a backup would be a good choice. Don't forget to add the right size socket.

The Dunlop 606 is the tire you want though!!! Possibly the Michelin T63, but I'm not sure how well they hold up as far as miles go. If you have a decent set of 50/50 tires use them up and swap out for 606's at Moab. Of course if you hit mud you'll want 606's sooner. The Perelli MT21(?) up front is favored to, but I've got no experience with those.
  3. jcbr6

jcbr6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Added some final touches to the racks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now going to take this and the rack to see about getting powder coat.
  4. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    One less, interesting comment on the odometer. My speedo always seemed pretty high, though never had a way to check accuracy. Since you can set the wheel size exactly to your tires measurement, I knew the Vapor would be very accurate (of course accuracy diminishes with tire wear). Since riding with the Vapor it seems to confirm that the other speedo was off a bunch based on seat of the pants (65 or 70 seems much faster now and engine reving higher).

I did get steel sprockets and am going to drop a tooth on the countershaft.

EDIT: One Less, re-read your post. As you can tell by my post I am equating speedo in accuracy with Odometer. Since they are fed by the same mechanical process I equated one with the other. In aver had an owners manual so didn't know it was customizable. Thanks for the insight. Vapor was $120 so it didn't break the bank plus I feel more comfortable with the accuracy. The radiator temp gauge is also reassuring for the desert sections.

Thanks!

DH
  5. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I wasn't referring to calibration of speedo or ODO's. You have two trip meters, each can be set count up or down. The permanent ODO not resettable. My speedo was off maybe 5mph???

somewhere on line there is a manual on the speedo stuff for the DRZ, thumper talk,
  6. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher

Oddometer:
    subscribed! I am doing 2 weeks of the tat the first 2 weeks of September.:clap
  7. rbrhsv

rbrhsv Arizona Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Planning on the central (AR to CO section) of TAT in July!
  8. jcbr6

jcbr6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Worked on the bike today. Was able to fab a mount for Driving light (nice to have extra light on the trail). Also made a headlight guard to help protect the lens.
    Will add to the pile of metal parts to get powder coated.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. jcbr6

jcbr6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had to rework one of the mounts in order to mount the new tool tube.
    Got it mounted today.
    [​IMG]
  10. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    +1 on the weight issue,the more weight on the bike the more chance of crashing or breaking the bike,and more weight makes for an unwieldy bike in the dirt. Socks and underwear can be washed along the way in sinks,a small 1 man tent may kind of suck but it will work,ultra light sleeping bag,etc. Light is right!
  11. rrtips

rrtips LifeUnloadedRTW.com

Oddometer:
    Setting up a Honda 650 to do a 3 week run in July as far as it takes me. Gonna start in Tenn and let the dirt take me wherever it goes.
    Anyone else hitting the trail about that time?
    Paul
  12. rbrhsv

rbrhsv Arizona Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I can't think of anything else to add so I guess it's time to hit the trail!
  13. jcbr6

jcbr6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the new tank in today.

[​IMG]
  14. Anciano

Anciano Bushpilot

Oddometer:
    jcbr6

I started the TAT with a new (800 miles) DRZ400. I suppose I am the opposite of most of the people who have replied to your thread. I didn't do anything to the bikes motor or suspension. I didn't tear it apart to grease wheel, steering head or swinging arm bearings. I did add a rear rack, skid plate, rakes for bags, an electrical hookup for my gps, a four gallon tank, bark busters and a SAE plug direct to my battery. I ran the SAE plug out to the rear of the bike. I used that plug to run my air compressor and charge cell phone and Ipod.

I rode with four other guys. There were many flats and my air compressor aired up everyone of them. I didn't have any flats myself. I didn't use heavy duty tubes, but I do run 20psi front and rear. I don't air down in sand. I hardest I have ever hit rocks was in sand.

Not everyone in your group needs to carry everything on your list. One first aid kit will do for 5 people, one air compressor, one set of tire irons etc. I haven't broken a lever since bark busters were invented. Chains are so good only an abused chain is ever broken. As long as you have vise grips you have a shift lever. I hope you have bought Sam's GPS tracks. Maps and roll charts are a pita.

I rode the Continential Divide solo, on a 13 year old DR650 using the same philosophy.

Wayne
    Beejaytee likes this.
  15. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I get the impression most that have replied have bikes with higher mileage. Well I wouldn't feel the need to go over a newish bike as much as one where the history isn't known. Would I feel the need to grease all the bearings in a bike w/ 800 miles??? IDTS....well except the steering head bearings on a DRZ as they are known to be pitifully greased from the factory. It's best to go over a bike with unknown history in the comfort of your own garage.

I would still bring extra parts (cables, nuts and bolts, foot levers, extra front sprocket) a good tool kit still other things. Would I prep the DRZ that I've owned for 3 yrs as much if doing the TAT again???? No, because it has been maintained by me now for 3 years. I would inspect all wheel bearings and swing arm bearings! I bought the bike used and checking bearings I found bad rear wheel bearings and all the swing arm bearings were shot. IMHO it is foolish to take a used bike of unknown history on such a long journey and not go over it with a fine tooth comb.

BTW- if you have had the 13 year old bike and maintained it for many years you have confidence in it, sure I'd take it too. But a bike which has had unknown maintenance then it's foolish not to go over it. I think that's why most posters go over the bikes thoroughly. I have a 30 year old bike with 125,000 miles which is TAT or cross country ready today, if I so desired. Why because I've had it for 6 years and know the bike.
  16. jcbr6

jcbr6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought this bike and have very little time on it. When I pick up a used bike I like to spend some time going over as much as i can so i dont find out the hard way something is wrong. (plus I just like working on bikes)

My bikes rarely brake down on my rides but that is also do to keeping it well maintained before i leave. I am usually the guy on the ride that has more tools than needed. I do often get to use the tools when other people brake down on the trail that dont check over their bikes before the ride.

I am glad to hear that the DRZ is a good bike for this ride. With the bike being stock, did you have any running issues at higher elevation?
  17. Bajaexplorer

Bajaexplorer Alien

Oddometer:
    That price is way more than you need to spend for what you want.
    Harken did have double sheave ones.

The following pic is with a double sheave (pulley),
    the one I saw had 3 or 4 sheaves.

It was small and light weight.
    can't find them any more in inet.

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=9758&page=5&

Look at post 41.
  18. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    for a pulling rig if you must have one, maybe harken with a fiddle block or cam cleat as you would want to cleat the line off to hold the load.

I had no problems at elevation, but my bike was a little on the lean side at 500 ft it was lean surging and at 10,000 plus it actually smoothed out.
    Plus as fate would have it I was running a 13/44 gear instead of the 15/44. So I had plenty of power. I trashed the 15 sprocket an d chain outside of Gunnison Co. Had to run the 13 until Moab. 15/44 is a good ratio for the majority of the TAT. I would run a 15/44 and keep a 14 as back up.

The 15/44 has a sweet spot a 62 mph. the 13/44 gets a little wound out at 55mph. Some people might not mind winding out the RPM's but I prefer to keep the rpms down.

BTW- JD jet kit and 3x3 mod, 434 Big bore...stock carb and almost stock exhaust. It was drilled out at the tail.
  19. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    Baja, I agree, not planning on buying that rig, but I am modeling mine after it. Figure I can do it for below half that cost. I feel that is good insurance traveling solo.
  20. kingrj

kingrj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the TAT through Colorado and Utah last summer on a bone stock DRZ400 and had no problem at over 12,000 feet. Oh..it was down on power but it still ran ok. If you re-jet richer you may have to pull off your airbox cover to get over the high passes but stock you will be ok.