Trans America Trail / TAT 2021: HONDA TRAIL CT125 Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by anelog272, Jun 15, 2021.

1. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a theory on why the cows keep trying to murder you. They're not afraid of you because they know you're a vegan and you're not gonna eat them...
  2. 12pack

12pack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    awesome storytelling, just started reading this today and just got up to date here.

Good thing I brought my laptop to the hospital today, made my chemo infusion not an unpleasant freakin ordeal. HAHA

Enjoy the trip, maybe I will be able to get the time someday.

And you need a new riding partner...... Netflicks? over going out and imbibing at a local watering hole? Geeez.... fuck that :-)

CHEERS GUYS
    Kyron, cb200t, i4bikes and 4 others like this.
  3. rokon140

rokon140 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what he said.

And you need a new riding partner...... Netflicks? over going out and imbibing at a local watering hole? Geeez.... fuck that :-)
    Motochimp likes this.
  4. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Callipygian Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, that's most of today not productive after finding this report this morning. Epic!

I'm heading out end of the month on a big tour on my GS, and I feel like I'm kind of going easy mode after this report.
    Night_Wolf and anelog272 like this.
  5. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As I was catching up on this report today, I figured out why your bikes struggled to the top of California Pass. You need to stop by Walmart and buy four "0" number stickers (two per bike) to go on the identification plates, following the "125" labels. Once your bikes identify as 1250s, they'll have all the self-esteem needed to climb steep passes.
    gmtech, modiorne, dp064 and 5 others like this.
  6. trialstech

trialstech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don’t think we missed anything big on a Tuesday night at the local bar in Emmett ID. Hotel imbibed and didn’t have to walk far to fall asleep. I’m good with the decision.
  7. trialstech

Oddometer:
    …also. I’ve been a participant in a number of these, uh, raucous shenanigans with Ang in the almost 30 years I’ve known him and I’m just saying let’s try to make it to Port Orford first.
    Night_Wolf, sledrydr, xcsks and 7 others like this.
  8. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:
    You are going to have the adventure of a lifetime. The CT125 is a beast that you can beat to death and it doesn't care. But it has its limitations for sure! Hit me up when you start planning and I'll tell you everything I know - which is quite little. All I can say is - you're going to have a blast no matter what happens.
    klaviator, r80rt, trialstech and 2 others like this.
  9. Star Rider Chuck

Star Rider Chuck n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ang, based upon your report I think I will bring an extra rear brake lever. and definitely a 13 tooth counter sprocket.
  10. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:
    DAY 22 July 14, 2021
    MILES: 227
    HOURS: 10:40

Woke up at 6:30am and made some coffee. Sat outside while John slept some more and watched those two big Harley’s wake the place up and speed away. We were both moving pretty slowly after our wild night of Netflix and beer, but we started to get it together. Then we heard this familiar sound and in our doorway appeared Steve. Good morning!

[​IMG]

Caught up with Steve and he sped off. We always know we’ll see him again until we all make it to Port Orford. And even then, I feel sure we’ll see him again.

We got our shit together and headed off. Dirt and farmland and rolling hills once again.

[​IMG]

After hours we got to the Snake River which in American Falls I thought was the same river that carved out the Grand Canyon because I know nothing about everything. But Johnny Pow let me know the other night that it’s the river that Evel Knievel tried to jump in 1975. I was 8 years old and I still remember that day. Fucking Evel man! That dude was my hero. I had the little Evel toy with the red launcher that I’ll wager a bet many of you old fucks had as well. That was a treasured possession.

[​IMG]

I was on some swim team and we had a meet at a fancy country club. As we walked past the clubhouse by chance we saw Evel himself putting his golf clubs into a
    1974 Stutz Blackhawk (that intel is from my mother - I thought it was a Spitfire...). My parents made me walk up to him and the first thing he said was, “See this in the trunk? That’s mink lining.” I had no clue what the fuck he was talking about - but it did look like an overly expensive way to line a trunk. I got his autograph on a napkin that I have in a file cabinet right now. We later heard a story about his escapades at this country club near Roswell GA. There was a par three with a tee way up high that overlooked the green below. After a few drinks and a few bets, Evel flew a golf cart off the tee and destroyed it. I have no idea what the bets were on or who won. What I do know is that Evel Knievel is a true American hero. What says American hero like someone willing to do the most idiotic thing just for the fuck of it? I’m trying to forge a connection between me and Johnny Pow and America’s greatest treasure. It’s not working I know - but it was worth a shot. Perhaps if I jump a CT125 over the Snake River I might get some respect. Hmm. How far is it? How far can I jump if I’m going 45mph? There will be some drawings and calculations happening tonight.

Anyway - we got to the part of the TAT where some massive highway crosses the Snake River. Johnny Pow had been planning what we’d do here. It was either, get on the highway and defy death for 5 miles, or get on some dotted line road and defy death for 30 miles. I hate getting on the highway on the CT. Hate it. It’s so stupid and so dangerous. So we got on the highway and it wasn’t so bad. Then we crossed into Oregon, gained an hour to the Pacific time zone, and got back into the dirt. I had imagined crossing the Oregon state line would mean big trees and forest and elevation. But it was just stupid Idaho with a new name. No offense Idaho - you blew me away. For real. But I wanted something different.

It didn’t take long. That’s a massive lie. It took three hours to get to something cool Finally some much-needed trees and some elevation. Thank you OR!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We entered the Malheur National Forest and then we were rewarded (I’m not sure for what) with this insane paved path from a fairy tale that was beyond belief. Some of the most enjoyable, fast, twisty, fun riding of all time. We LOVED this road and had a freaking blast bombing it. The cows are always watching and judging and trying to commit murder. Fucking cows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If the rest of the day had been this road I would have been fine with that. Forest, massive trees, big views. But oh no. Here comes Sam. Had to throw in some dirt and a bunch of technical stuff. Thanks Sam! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then who do we come across? Steve. Steve not having a good time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Being tire-changing experts at this point, we helped Steve get it done. His compressor was fried so he used mine to fill things up. Got the tire back on the bike and off he went. Said we’d meet him at the bar in John Day… if there was a bar in John Day… It was Steve’s first tire change in 15 years of riding. Lucky bastard. Never fun.

The rest of the day was more of the same. Meaning, gorgeous and fun. But long!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally made it to John Day after close to eleven hours. Motel, shower, shot of Jim Beam, and we met Steve at the brewpub. He bought us dinner and beers as a thank you for helping him, which was entirely unnecessary but so appreciated. Honestly - I still owe him plenty for all of the push starts he gave me going up Engineer and California pass back in Colorado. We had a great dinner. Talked about our plans for avoiding the wildfires going west and chatted a bit about how the hell we're getting home when we’re finished with this trip. Which is soon.

Back to the hotel for another sip of Jim Beam and bed. Fairly uneventful day and I’m thankful for that.
  11. trialstech

Oddometer:
    The ride today was long and we exhausted our fuel. W both had to use our reserves and I’m happy to report I figured out the deal with the Roto-Pax. It took some fiddling but it worked great.

Tomorrow we will try to head over almost to La Pine which is where the first of our possible wildfire issues might occur. The second being maybe above Crater Lake, which might be a good detour. I’m guessing we hit the coast Saturday.
  12. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Almost to the end.
    anelog272 likes this.
  13. Star Rider Chuck

Star Rider Chuck n00b

Oddometer:
    Did you guys opt for mesh outerwear or true 4-season gear? And if you took the ride again were you happy with your choices of riding apparel? I am looking at the FirstGear Adventure Air Jacket. Ny thought is if I get one large enough I could always use a heavier base layer in the higher altitudes.
    PDarnall likes this.
  14. simi.d

simi.d Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    I'm going to miss these updates.

Watch out for the sting in the tail :-)

20180913_01.jpg
  15. Groupie

Groupie n00b

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of making it to Port Orford first! I'll buy your first 5 rounds of shots when you get there! Keep yourselves safe and my brother out of as much trouble as humanly possible. I know that's a big ask LOL So glad you two are doing this together! Xoxoxo Adele
    SlowBo, Night_Wolf, dp064 and 4 others like this.
  16. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:
    My jacket and pants are mesh - probably a decade old and was cheap. Bilt. The protection seems okay but hoping not to test that out fully. Black was not a good choice for this trip! Someone suggested getting something the color of dust and I fully endorse that. I had to Wd40 the zippers a few days ago. Putting on rain gear is a hassle- but worth the lightness of the mesh…I think…
    DirtScaresMe, toypro1, simi.d and 2 others like this.
  17. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:
    Either this message is too cryptic or we're still too asleep! I have a feeling it's one of those, "You'll know it when you have to deal with it" things? It also looks like Sam may have changed up the route a bit...
    upload_2021-7-15_6-43-57.png
  18. trialstech

Oddometer:
    It looks like the red road on your map is Snow Creek Road which is not on our route. I take this to mean me must try it! :photog
    staticPort, simi.d, dp064 and 2 others like this.
  19. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:
    We've been over this Johnny Pow. Warning means stay away, not go toward.
  20. trialstech

Oddometer:
    I’m not that pleased with my gear. Mine is not mesh and although ive never worn mesh that sounds like a good idea, and can layer under and add rain cover as needed.

my gear is Oxford Montreal 3.0 and I feel like it’s bulky, hot, and not particularly waterproof. The jacket requires a waterproof liner to be added which is a slight pain, and the pants have a quilted insert but I don’t feel like they are waterproof. I only got in rain twice in CO though.

once we get moving there has been enough ventilation to work okay but standing around with no shade in the 90°s gets hot quick.