Trans America Trail / TAT 2021: HONDA TRAIL CT125 Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by anelog272, Jun 15, 2021.

1. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    2old2Bbold ................. bingo!

Angelo, I was commenting on your crazy leap of pure ecstasy whilst celebrating on the beach at Port Orford.
    And you SAY that you've lived in NC and yet didn't get that Michael Jordan pop culture reference. :nah
    Some NIKE marketing team somewhere has failed you greatly my friend. :bluduh
    Looks like something has happened to that picture though? I couldn't get it to reappear?
    And paradoxically, some computer science teacher somewhere has failed me greatly as well. :confused :lol3

You know, my first thought at seeing your impressive jumping ability was, "Angelo is SO MUCH MORE than just a pretty face!"
  2. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:
    Oh! Okay - now I get it. And yup - it makes sense that I totally missed the Jordan reference. My sports knowledge is just a hair below my knowledge of quantum physics. Every few years or so I figure out how much extra life I've gotten by not watching sports and not going to church. Figure... what, 3 hours a week or more every week since I was a lad? That's like an extra 230 days I've gotten! Of course I've wasted those 230 days on music and motorcycles and other useless endeavors, so really it's a wash. But more importantly - thank you for being the first person to ever have suggested that I have a pretty face. Ha!
  3. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:

Postmortem Part One

I think that we left off in a Mexican Restaurant Lounge trying to decide if we'd start with the drum set or the dance floor. That seems like a lifetime ago. Let me see if I can battle through the tequila fog of that evening to give you some idea of what happened.

First of all, we started with Johnny Pow on the drum set and me on the dance floor. JP was playing this deep ancient primitive groove and I was performing an innovative blending of modern ballet with an interpretation of a flamingo being shot to death with purple paint pellets. I could have done a better job but my flip flops kept coming off and I was afraid of stepping on sharp shards of tortilla chips. Then we switched places and I played the drum part to War Pigs by Black Sabbath while Johnny Pow did the 90's punk rock pogo dance. For like an hour and a half. Torero's lounge hadn't seen this much talent since that particularly exceptional plumber installed the new bar sink back in 2009. There were beers. There was tequila. There was rejoicing at our triumph. There were firm reprimands from management. A bartender cried a little bit. (At the time I thought they were tears of astonishment at our incredibly moving performances. The civil suit paperwork tells a very different story.)

Then Johnny Pow and I both got out on the floor to recreate our entire trip in dance. We ended with the Hee Haw hoedown dance we'd done on the beach in Port Orford. We took our bows to silence and more reprimands from management.

Now, I have gone on and on about what a good match Johnny Pow and I are as riding partners. And I stand by that. But there is one conflict that we can not seem to overcome. I like Frank's Hot Sauce. Johnny Pow likes Cholula. Over the 30 years we've known one another, this is a recurring topic that we revisit often. This is an Israel/Palestine situation. It is a topic that we are both passionate about. Passionate but respectful. Until that last unnecessary tequila shot.

Johnny Pow: "I think our dance interpretation of you almost getting killed by that baby cow was awesome. Wish your fucking flip flops would stay on man."

Ang: "I know. I'd dance better in my riding boots. Can you pass me that hot sauce for this last shot of tequila?"

Johnny tries to pass me some Cholula hot sauce. I laugh and say, "Yeah right. Pass the Frank's man..."

I swear I said, "Yeah right. Pass the Frank's man". I swear it. But Johnny Pow apparently heard me say, "What kind of a fucking asshole loser would chose Cholula over Frank's Hot Sauce? You know, Cholula is what the Nazi's put in their tequila. You knew that right? You're a fucking Nazi man."

This is where things got ugly. Johnny Pow opened up the bottle of Cholula and shot a drop right into my left eye. I screamed and grabbed the superior fire power of Frank's Hot Sauce, tore off the lid with my teeth, and tried to wedge it up Johnny Pow’s shorts to get some on his saddle sores. Direct hit! Johnny yelled like a flamingo being shot to death with purple paint pellets while grabbing a second bottle of Cholula. Just then my flip flop came off again and he used the distraction to his advantage by bending my neck backward over a bar stool and inserting both bottles of Cholula into my nostrils. He tried to squeeze the contents into my brain which luckily didn't work because they were glass bottles. Just as he was realizing the anti-squeeze properties of the bottles I swung my legs forward and up and filliped over JP landing on my feet. We spent the next ten or fifteen minutes emptying all of the hot sauce bottles all over each other, disregarding brand altogether. Then the cops came.

[​IMG]

I could hear Johnny Pow in the cell next to mine running the water in the stainless steel sink. I imagined he was trying to get the hot sauce off his ass sores. I was blowing red hot mucus from the bottom of my soul into my stainless steel sink. I whispered, "Frank's forever..." and Johnny Pow whispered, "Fuck you..." back.

The holding cells in Crescent City weren't too bad and breakfast was exactly the same as every free breakfast offered by every motel on our trip. No fig bars, but good enough. Johnny Pow and I were released at the same time but we didn't speak to each other on the 6 mile walk back to the motel. He walked down the right side of the road and me on the left. I was depressed and the inside of my sinus cavities felt like they had been filled with Cholula hot sauce, which they had. My flip flops were a shambles and made the walk slow going for me. By the time I got back Johnny Pow was loaded up and riding out of the parking lot. I loaded up and did the same heading in the opposite direction.

I'm writing this from Upper Liard in the Yukon - about halfway to the Dalton Highway. Judging by the Spot GPS website link Pow gave me at the start of our trip - it looks like he's headed to the Panama Canal. We had talked about doing the TET on Shriner bikes while wearing Fez hats as our next ride. I guess that’s all over now.

[​IMG]

That's the scenario I imagined as we set off from Crescent City to Medford. It cold have easily gone that way. I assumed it was going to be a miserable hung over slog, but was pleasantly surprised by riding through a fantastic redwood forest and following an amazing river for most of the way. It felt like another day on the TAT. We got to Medford and had a nice meal at a brewery (Common something or other). Checked into the Super 8 and tried to get our shit together. Everything we own was covered in dust and smelled like a flamingo being shot to death with purple paint pellets. Disgusting all around. We re-arranged our packs to put what we had to take with us in one bag and stuffed everything else in bags to be left on the bikes and shipped.

The next morning the shipping went way smoother and took way less time than I'd thought it would. Took maybe 15 minutes. The guy looked over our bikes and marked dents and scratches on a little drawing of a motorcycle in his paperwork. There wasn't much left unmarked. We signed off and kissed our little bikes goodbye. Sad.

[​IMG]

We grabbed an Uber to the airport and saw Steve riding his bike to the shipper on our way out. We saw him again at the airport and had some final beers before I boarded the first of three flights to get home. Johnny Pow's flight was held up - and then he got into a whole mess with weather and flight delays. He was supposed to make it home by midnight, but didn't get there until 11am the next day. Brutal. I came very close to missing my connection to Asheville in Charlotte but ran the 80 miles between gates and made it.

Then, this trip gave me it's last little kick. Arrived in Asheville at midnight and grabbed my bag. Went outside and opened the Uber App. No cars available. Lyft- no cars available. I called every taxi service- "yeah we can be there in an hour and a half..." I called and texted the house. Everyone was dead asleep. Or - just ignoring me. Good Lord. So me and a group of other stranded folks kept calling all the cab companies and refreshing our ride apps. Finally I somehow snagged a Lyft and shared it with another person who was headed toward downtown Asheville. Made it to bed by 1:30am. My own bed.

That was five days ago now. I've caught up on all my work - thanks to my daughter who kept everything running and made the catch up easy. I hopped on the Royal Enfield Himilayan to try my hand at returning some failed video equipment to Best Buy (success) and popped it into first, stalling it. I forgot that most bikes have clutches. I also tried to upshift using the back shifter that doesn't exist on that bike. Very weird being on anything but the little Honda. Looks like Little Ugly Homefry will make it home by Aug 8. I have no idea what to do with her. I know I should sell her down the river. But, we've been through a lot together. We have a history now. Not sure. Johnny Pow is full force into making plans to fix up his DR650 inspired partly by Steve's sweet ride. Some guys invited me to go try out a Zero electric dirt bike, which I just might do. Looks like fun. But I know that the result will be a deep need to purchase a Zero electric dirt bike.

I’ll try to do a report on Little Ugly Homefry’s post-trip condition when she arrives.
  4. Fatfrog

Fatfrog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is some funny shit! Franks all the way!!
    Night_Wolf and anelog272 like this.
  5. Trainee_adv

Trainee_adv Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    epic journey and FANTASTIC writing. I shared it with all my coworkers who inquired what the hell I was laughing at.

Thank you for taking us along!
  6. Star Rider Chuck

Star Rider Chuck n00b

Oddometer:
    Great trailer!
    r80rt and anelog272 like this.
  7. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The trailer was fantastic! I've really enjoyed your writing. Thanks for bringing us all along.
    anelog272 likes this.
  8. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is just too much fun. Love the trailer and especially the take on that old Jerry Reid song. I actually have that one on my motorcycle play list. Roll on brothers!
    anelog272 likes this.
  9. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on riding the TAT!!

I think you missed your calling on life. You should have been a professional writer! This trip was bound to be epic since you did it on CT125s but your writing really made the ride report way more entertaining.

I hope this won't be your last report!
    anelog272 and Night_Wolf like this.
  10. dp064

dp064 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya know.. word on the street is that the next Scooter Cannonball Run is coming on 2023.. best not to sell those CTs yet.
    anelog272 likes this.
  11. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We gotta loooong way to go
    An' a loooong time to get there…

I got this stuck in my head now and soon it'll become quite annoying.
    I knew I shouldn't have watched that trailer ;-)
    anelog272 likes this.
  12. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:
    Seems like cheating on a CT125 - but Johnny Pow said there's some sort of handicap situation at play. Hmmm.... Might be due for another dumb idea in 2023!
    Night_Wolf and dp064 like this.
  13. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:
    Oh man - I have a 2 inch stack of rejection letters that'll prove I tried to become a professional writer in a different lifetime. Let us know when you're up in the area again! Johnny Pow is talking about doing the SM 500 on the Himilayans sometime soon.
    dp064 and klaviator like this.
  14. ROAD DAMAGE

Oddometer:
    Do you have any of your past writing that you'd be willing to share with us? :brow
    I know that your ride report here has seriously whet some ADV appetites to read more of your offerings. :nod

I sorta get the feeling that there is a great story behind your and Johnny P's friendship.
    (I can neither confirm nor deny that I might have been a dance instructor in a past life ....... but it was obvious from the picture of you and he dancing a jig on the beach at Port Orford ............. that it wasn't the first time that y'all had danced arm in arm together!) :wink: :lol3
    anelog272 likes this.
  15. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:
    That's so nice. There's a book in Amazon's bargain bin from a zillion years ago. If anyone wants one (plus a TEAM CT125 sticker - I think we have some left) just send me an address and I'm happy to send it. There are several boxes of them in the crawl space that have been sitting around for a couple of decades.

[​IMG]

Cool Moths Never Come to the Light on Amazon

Yup - Johnny Pow and I have a colorful history. We had quite a bit of fun throughou our 20's. Which in my opinion is a decade that should be set aside for having as much fun as possible. There's a little section in this video that explains it a tiny bit. It's at 2:40-ish. If you click this link it'll take you right to it on YouTube:

How Ang & Johnny Pow Know Each Other

We should have taken some dancing lessons from you back in the day for sure!
    ROAD DAMAGE and ChicoProf like this.
  16. HamburgFalke

HamburgFalke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, I am late to the party . Read through your whole report over the last few days and I enjoyed it a lot! Entertaining, personal, thoughtful and never rambling on for to long. Thank you for letting us participate in your crazy adventure. Here is one hoping to read about your crossing of Europe on the TET in the future...
    anelog272 likes this.
  17. ROAD DAMAGE

Oddometer:
    Angelo,

I'm in for a copy of "Cool Moths" and a sticker! :thumb YEAH!

I'll PM you my mailing address, and then you can PM me your PayPal or Venmo or whatever you use.

I really enjoyed the "Day 1" video.
    The music and narration were both nice. Everyone has a story ............. and your's and John's sounds like a fun one for sure.
    Good luck on the swearing cessation program. :D
    On yeah, I wanted to give a special mention to your water crossing narrations.
    THAT actually might be your true calling ............... "water crossing narrator."

Thanks for the fun update!
    RD
    anelog272 and dp064 like this.
  18. Soil Sample

Soil Sample Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^What he said. :lol3
    PM inbound, let me know on the payment method that works best for you.
    anelog272 likes this.
  19. trialstech

trialstech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for your feedback here on this thread, assistance, or maybe just reading and following along for fun and/or a laugh.

We are still waiting for our CT125's to arrive back home. I've been doing some riding on my RE Himalyan and am planning on doing the SM500 on it over Labor Day weekend. Maybe Ang will join.... I've also decided to bring my old DR650 back to life. It's been parked and neglected since around 2009-2010. It was fine when parked, but of course it'll need everything gone through. Also, inspired by Steve's built-out bike, I plan to do similar. Suspension, tank, intake and exhaust, etc. My first challenge is to locate the key to this bike... So anyway that rebuild will be my project for the next winter (or more) and maybe that might replace the REH depending how I like it.

Also, it's time for the first service on the REH but I think I can handle it myself if I get my shed/shop in better shape, which I intend to do for the DR as well.

Stay tuned for videos on Ang's YT channel.
  20. trialstech

trialstech Been here awhile

Oddometer: