Trans America Trail / TAT 2021: HONDA TRAIL CT125 Edition

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by anelog272, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you were going to cheat on your diet at Oark already, you missed out on one of the best hamburgers around :lol3
    mxer201, anelog272, toypro1 and 4 others like this.
  2. ScottFree

ScottFree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tip: if you get one of these, be sure to get the kind where the business end (the part that threads into the valve) spins freely on the cable. I made the mistake of buying one whose business end was crimped to what looked like speedo cable, and all it did was tie itself in knots when I tried to thread it into the valve.
  3. Kegler

Kegler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed!
  4. okietrailboss

okietrailboss Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might go to Cycles Unlimited in pryor to see about rack repair an while your there look up @ Throttlemister
    anelog272 likes this.
  5. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:
    Good news- oil and chain change in Tulsa. Bad news - need a rear sprocket. If anyone has suggestions for where to order (rocky mtn?) and a shp on the route who could throw it on I might ship it to- LMK! I hear they’re easy to change out so just looking for a place to ship somewhere a day or so from trinidad maybe?
    ChicoProf, trialstech and simi.d like this.
  6. Alfred_Bham

Alfred_Bham Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look at your Front Sprocket again!! If your Chain & Rear Sprocket need replacing, , , the front is probably needing replacement as well!!

7. okietrailboss

okietrailboss Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try TulsaPowersports 918-744-5551 Honda dealer
    anelog272 likes this.
  8. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:

DAY 9 July 1, 2021
    MILES: 151
    HOURS: 12

(Which included finding/buying a chain and bringing it to a place who could cut/install and change the oil. And a trip to the GD Verizon store.)

It rained all night which was kind of nice. The sound was relaxing and helped me get to sleep. That and the last swallow of bourbon I had. Got up at 6 AM and was thankful the rain gave me a break so I could pack up. Weather on the inReach says 80% chance Of rain and thunderstorms for the next two days. Put on the rain gear and changed the go Pro filter to clear because it’s looking like it’s going to be a dark and dismal couple of days.

The road from the TAT To the campground last night was super steep downhill on a long winding road. The CT would’ve taken forever going back the same way. So I made a route to get back on the TAT a bit beyond where I’d gotten off. When I went to turn off on the dirt road that was supposed to take me back to the TAT it said “road closed” and I took the sign at its word. Or words I guess. I wasn’t ready for an adventure that early in the morning. Google reroute of course doesn’t work when you don’t have cell service so I wandered around trying to find a way through. Two dead end dirt roads. I made it to Lincoln where I gassed up so I missed that section between Devils Den and Lincoln. Just as I got on the road and was seconds from the TAT the sky opened up its big stupid maw and vomited heavy rain accompanied by a light and sound show that scared the shit out of me. I parked in a self serve car wash. No cell service so I was going a bit stir crazy. Rain Drops Keep falling on My Head always gets stuck in my brain when it rains. My parents bought the soundtrack to the Butch Cassidy an the Sundance Kid movie when it came out and it’s been a favorite song of mine since I was whatever age that was. I’m a huge Burt Bacharach fan. His horn arrangements are genius. I can’t remember who sang that song- BJ something maybe? (What do any of us really know without access to Google?) So I spent the next hour waiting out the storm trying to remember and decipher the lyrics. This is me singing.

[​IMG]

“Rain drops keep falling on my head just like the guy who's feet are too big for his bed, those, raindrops keep falling on my head they keep falling. Because I’m free. There’s nothing worrying me…”

What the fuck does a guy’s foot size have to do with any of this? Am I remembering the lyrics wrong? Anyway, I started a thesis paper on the topic which kept me busy for 20 minutes. Having no service is the worst possible scenario for a bored modern human. What did we used to do?!

The rain died down but I knew it was a trap. But I was so bored that I willingly fell for it. Because I’m free. Nothing’s bothering me mother fucker. Which would be the fitting last words of a lightening-struck charred idiot on the side of the road outside of Lincoln AR.

I made it maybe 15 or 20 miles down the TAT and came to an irrigation ditch that had flooded over the road in a little dip that I couldn’t cross. I mean - it was no Knob Creek. But it looked too deep in the middle where the water was pouring in. And the water was creating this current that looked nasty as hell. The current would have pushed me over for sure. I pictured myself falling over in that mess and all my stuff being taken away into the woods. I decided to live to fight another day. I know what you’re saying looking at the photo. It looks like a puddle, right? Trust me on this one.

[​IMG]I bypassed, and then it started pouring again. I kept going. But I wasn’t going to get back on th TAT at this point. The mud was already getting gross. I took zero photos and hardly shot any video. My whole job today was to get rained on. I did my best. [​IMG]

I powered down 51 toward Muskegee. The rain got to be too much so I stopped in a gas station and had a lovely lunch of peanut butter crackers and sat there waiting for the rain to stop being such an asshole. It really never did stop being an asshole. I also called a few places about a chain and had no luck. So I just kept going. Got to be too much again so I stopped under a church overhand and made some more calls. Found a chain at Cycle Gear and someone to cut/install it and do an oil change at Synergy Motor Sports across the street. No idea how long it took me to get from Lincoln to Tulsa. All the bike stuff took hours. But I was so lucky with Synergy. Ryan the manager, “I get it - bring it in” when I told him what I was doing. Within five minutes of arriving there he had my bike in the shop where Zach took care of business. I was so psyched. Until they told me the rear sprocket wasn’t going to make it. Well gosh darnit. So a whole new problem to sort out.

Then on to the Verizon store for a 2 hour odyssey of nonsense. I’d wanted to get to Stllwater today but at this point it was already 7pm. That wasn’t happening. So I found a motel West of Tulsa. Unfortunately there were 7 drug deals and 4 prostitutes blocking the door to the “lobby” and I didn’t feel like this was any place for someone as innocent as my Little Ugly Homefry. So we headed out and found something with no drug deals and no prostitutes. I’m sure some of you are saying, “I would have done the exact opposite!”

My stuff is spread out everywhere trying to dry. This day won’t be one I remember for too long, hopefully. Other than the cool folks at Synergy - today is a wash. I have no plans to get back on the TAT in OK. I have to bust my ass to get to Trinidad to meet Johnny Pow in time. His travels start tomorrow!

9. DNLUSK

DNLUSK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Bunk House in western Oklahoma is a great place to spend a night. You can camp or spend a night in the bunk house. It is right on the TAT. They will treat you like royalty and the food is awesome. They happily let you have parts shipped to there location, TAT riders often have tires shipped there.
  10. simi.d

simi.d Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    One of the few things we did to the Groms was to upgrade the OEM bicycle chain and sprockets to an overkill 428 set that will probably outlast the engine. Think we've had to adjust the tension once in 3 years :lol3 Add that one to the shopping list for the next adventure.

Thoroughly enjoying the RR. Keep on rolling :ricky
    Stretch79, +venture, juno and 13 others like this.
  11. Jolly Roger 250

Jolly Roger 250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent report. GAIA tip (at least what I do): change the colors of the tracks to one that you like, and that are a different color of the roads it shows. I love the color blue. So, I change all of the tracks to blue.
    Ginger Beard and anelog272 like this.
  12. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep on keeping on brother! Way to hang in there. If it was easy anyone could do it. You met my friend Steve today. He is solo on a DR. Or maybe it was your partner.
    anelog272 likes this.
  13. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:
    DAY 10 July 2, 2021
    MILES: 308 (good lord)
    HOURS: 9:46

I’m shooting vlog-type videos throughout this trip so I spend a lot of time talking to the mic inside my helmet. Over the last 6 days or so things are starting to get pretty weird. First of all my ass has become a recurring character. My ass calls me on the phone constantly asking me when we’re gonna take a break. I have some neurotic tendencies and one of them is what my ass calls “delicate criteria“ about when we’re going to stop. We have to hit a certain mileage number and it has to be a scenic setting and there has to be shade - to start with. My ass doesn’t seem to particularly care about any of these things so it’s a constant argument back-and-forth. The other day I had to promise to massage my ass if we were allowed to hit 100-mile mark before the next break. It was degrading for me but the massage was given. I am a man of my word.

I’m also hard at work coming up with alternate lyrics to the theme song from Smokey and the Bandit, of course using our tagline “we’ve got a long way to go and need a long time to get there“. Between John and I, this is something that will actually happen. I’m contacting the Harry Fox Agency to get the rights as soon as we get home. There will be a recording. Put your pre-orders in now.

Then there’s a recurring skit where I am apparently in some sort of space vessel that only has the capacity to move extremely slowly down Earth’s roads with the call letters CT125 where I’m radioing into Mission Control to coordinate landing zones, receive etymology reports on the word “reckon”, and whatnot. This is complete with character voices which seem to be my interpretation of actors from The Right Stuff.

These videos are either going to be deeply funny, deeply humiliating, or just plain stupid. I’m hoping for the full trifecta. My other hope is that there’s a nice mental facility located in Port Orford.

And all of that is fluff to cover for the fact that I’m doing some boring slab riding and have very little exciting news to report. Trying to get from point A to point B in an efficient manner is NOT what the CT125 is built for. I was 90% sure I was going to skip that TAT through Oklahoma no matter what. The weather made it 100% I have a few rules for my trip:

• Be safe, don’t get hurt, and don’t die.
    • Don’t do anything that isn’t fun if you can help it.
    Crossing the Arkansas river here:

[​IMG]

There have already been plenty of non-fun things that I couldn’t help. I figured I’d take the bull by the horns on this one. I see the photos from folks going through OK on the TAT right now - and it don’t look fun to me. So I got up at 6p and on the road by 7a. And I prepared myself for some boring ass slab riding. I took 51 through Stillwater to Canton and then swung up to 412 to Guymon. Talk about getting loopy. What started as gorgeous open scenery slowly turned into boring as shit scenery. Same scenery - but Jesus Christ, can you change it up sometimes Oaklahoma? The wind was atrocious. And Little Ugly Homefry is not at home on the 65 and 70mph roads. I constantly pulled over to let folks by before they got the shotguns off their racks. But also - I kept thinking about the truckers trying to make a living by not wasting a bunch of time - and I just decided that I’d pull over every chance I got if I was holding anyone up. A good bit of it was four lane which was no problem - but there were long long stretches of two lane as well.

This was the scenery for much of 9 hours. That exact photo. Just for 9 hours. No curves. No hills. Just the photo below. Stare at it for 9 hours and let me know how you're feeling aftward...

[​IMG]

I got totally loopy as described above and who knows what I said into the GoPro today. There were drone problems to deal with. The gimbal failed and I couldn't fix it. I had to ship it in to DJI and hope to get a replacement out here. What a perfect time to not have a drone - right before boring old Colorado. Damnit! Finally figured out a place to ship my sprocket replacements in Moab. Called my Honda dealer in Asheville who found the parts in a warehouse in Wisconsin. Put the order in. Then he said, "Oh, sorry man. Our shipping guy left for the day so we can't to the order until Monday." I asked why he couldn't just call the damn warehouse and have them shipped? "Can't do that..." An answer that was not satisfying in the least. So - I am hoping I can get through CO on this sprocket. I'll call on Monday.

I have nothing else to report. Oklahoma is gorgeous for 5 minutes and then boring as hell for 8 hours 55 minutes. Grabbed a sweet hotel in Guymon. Talked to Johnny Pow and he made it to Sante Fe after being thrown straight into the fire on landing in Albuquerque. I think he’ll report here too. I plan on hopping back on the TAT in Boise City and trying to make it to Trinidad tomorrow if the Gods are with me. Hope to see Johnny Pow in La Veta on Sunday.
  14. trialstech

trialstech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    36CA4BF8-22B1-4B9F-AE16-D54DB3BB6DC1.jpeg Johnny Pow here. After six months of preparation and anticipation, and various changes of plans - the day finally arrived. The day for me to begin, what I now will call: John’s TAT Disaster (Part One).

Moving my flight date up really snuck up on me. I was stressed trying to get things covered at work and busy with all various other things, when all of a sudden it was the night before I leave. I went through my packing checklist and located all the merino wool socks and t shirts that went missing after wearing them once. Charged up all my various electronic gizmos. Went to bed at midnight and set alarm for 4:30 to catch early flight to ABQ, where my bike has been waiting for a couple weeks. Woke up at 3 am and couldn’t go back to sleep, my brain boiling over with nerves.

All was fine until about 30 minutes after take off, when the cabin was dark and quiet, just the whoosh of the engine noise and the air conditioning, I was about to catch some needed sleep, when suddenly I remembered something I forgot. It wasn’t on my pack list, but it’s extremely valuable nonetheless. I raised up and put my hand over my face. I forgot the keys to my bike.

Fffuuuuuuccckkkk

I wanted to punch myself. So instead of napping I ended up buying the inflight WiFi, and going down the spiral of how to undo what I have done. FedEx key? To where? Warehouse closes today for 3 day holiday. Give up and go home? Then I remembered that the spare key had a code on it which supposedly you can get a Honda dealer cut cut a new key from. 18 texts and phone calls to my aggravated but helpful wife later, I think I have the code, but have to change planes in Dallas, and the shop in Albuquerque isn’t open yet. I decided to catch a tiny bit of half sleep on the next leg, sitting next to a kid in a Boy Scouts uniform (must be a convention happening). Landed in ABQ, and talked to the dealer who’s said they don’t make keys but recommended a locksmith. So I Lyft to the locksmith and for 100 bucks got a replacement key, then hailed another ride to the warehouse.

2B26B039-BEB0-4CDB-98E1-7535EC742317.jpeg

They pulled my bike out, it still had the camping dry bag and stuff nothing was touched. Good news. I tried the key, wouldn’t go in. Bad news. Called the locksmith out and he said he would come check it. It took about and hour or more so I made camp under the trailer of a parked big rig in the shade and put on some sunscreen, and my hat. Repacked my stuff and figured out where some new things would go.

The dude came out and brought a second key..that one didn’t work either, but after some filing he got it to pop in and turn. Hooray I’m in business. Before I could thank him and offer a tip he jumped in the van and said come back to the shop so I can tweak it more. “OK I said, but I gotta get gas first I’m on E. See you there”.

This is where I discovered how different the new 241’s are on my bike. I haven’t ridden even around the block yet on them yet. They seem taller (2.75” f/r) and kind of more twitchy steering. I’ll get used tot hem, but was real careful today.

I also noticed how freaking slow my bike is. Was it the few extra rounds in my pack? The altitude hell. I can barely pull away from a stoplight and was top speed at 45 on flat roads. Something is wrong.

Anyway so I pulled into a gas station and that’s where I remember the key also has to open the seat to get to the gas cap. It took work and some crunching but I got the key out of the ignition and into the seat lock and made it work. After a couple more times it seems to go in both ok. Not sure the long term affects but whatever, after this trip I might hate this bike and want to push it into a lake.

I decided I was done with locksmiths and called the dude and said I’m good, gonna roll on. Maybe I’ll send a thank you card and a cash inside.

Angelo told me the drone was dead and I offered to to go see if Best Buy had one before leaving town. Albuquerque seems huge. Takes forever going from light to light. Anyway this is when I noticed that the USB port I originally installed is not charging my iPhone at all. That thing is total garbage. So in front of the Best Buy I decided to hook up my awesome backup Optimate charger to the battery pig tail under the seat, when I realized that all the electronics for that were locked in the little harbor freight Apache tail box on my bike and the padlock key was at home also. I am irate at myself, and it is blazing hot and I’m tired of dealing with locks and keys and heat and parking lots. I looked if they had the drone, no only the fancy kits with everything sorry folks I was too pissed off to go in and buy that. The truth is we may be too busy trying to actually ride over the passes in CO and drone flying may be sidelined anyway. I called another locksmith supposed to be close by. He wasn’t he’s mobile and an hour away. FUCK IT. I’ll bust into it later. I decide right then I’m getting the hell out of Albuquerque, so I set gps for Madrid NM, and started slogging through town.

it was hot, but as I was looking at the very impressive Sandia, I saw a little storm kind of blow down the mountain and across town and then minutes later I’m riding though it. Like a little grey cloud filled with high wind and cold rain. It was then that I remembered that my jacked isn’t. Waterproof unless you zip in the nylon liner, which is way down in my pack.. I decided to just get wet and keep riding try to get away from this mean little storm.

Pretty soon I was at the intersection of Highway 66 and the Turquoise Trail. I turned left. Ah yes by they way it was now I think 3:30 local time and I hadn’t eaten anything all day except a Clif bar and only had a few cups of water. I vowed to make it to Madrid and drink water. As I got closer, the rain went away and the scenery turned awesome. I stopped like I said but didn’t find the place that interesting so I rolled on to Santa Fe.. more traffic.. decided to go downtown and found a restaurant here I consumed who knows how many calories of Green Chili Stew (2 orders, the first was sooo good), and a green chili chicken breast sandwich called The Santa Fe. It was awesome. Washed it down with two beers and decided my journey would go no further today so here I am in the hotel and I just noticed this huge grease smear on the back of my elbow from the shipping warehouse parking lot and now I guess that will be happening every time I put my jacket on.

E261831F-8692-4D42-B639-E7D00B46AE6D.jpeg

Trying to figure out how to meet Ang. I’m kind of afraid to find out how the bike goes over the mountains to La Veta. Regretting not bringing the smaller counter tooth sprockets.
  15. simi.d

simi.d Enthusiastic Noob

Oddometer:
    This has the makings of an EPIC adventure.:rayof

I'm so jealous! You guys are going to have such a great time... and riding with another like minded adventurer will make everything so much easier.

We've never needed it.. but we always adventure with a spare key hidden on the bike or in our riding gear :lol3
  16. Jolly Roger 250

Jolly Roger 250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am from Oklahoma, but managed to escape to Georgia back in 84. When (and if) someone asks me how flat it is out there, I tell them you can watch your dog run away for two days. This does however include Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa. Be safe. Looking forward to the next update.
    duhrider, red clay, ismatts and 2 others like this.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

My mom has a house in Madrid, it is an interesting little town but can appear uninteresting at first glance. I spent 2 months there a couple years ago, right after she bought the house, fixing it up.

Keys can get exhausting on long trips. I disable all the locks on bikes that I can.

Altitude robs 3% power from a motor for every 1000’. You are running at a 15-18% loss in power right now. It will be 40% on some of the big mountain passes in Colorado.

Are you guys aware of the Tent Space thread in trip planning? It can be helpful to find other members of this forum, during this trip. Unfortunately, I would say 1 in 5 people on that map reply to messages but I have met some really great people that way.
  18. r80rt

r80rt Dirt road nomad

Oddometer:
    I removed the seat latch on day one, I hate to use the key to raise the seat at every gas stop. Excellent ride report!
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  19. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was not sure if that was an option, I would be doing that ASAP. I always gut all the locking parts from the gas caps on my bigger bikes. I disabled the keyed ignition on a couple bikes and put a hidden switch somewhere.
    r80rt likes this.
  20. anelog272

anelog272 Some Guy Rides

Oddometer:
    DAY 11 July 3, 2021
    MILES: 202
    HOURS: 7:20

Up at 6am and had some coffee and toast at the hotel. While my stuff was locked up I jetted down to a Walmart 10 minutes away to do some restocking. I needed a pair of shorts, some charging cables, some rain pants (split mine), some underwear, and some nail clippers. The nail clippers were essential. I have grit and grime in my nails from who knows how long ago. It’s disgusting. That is a key piece of kit. Got back to the hotel, packed up, and headed off for Boise City. 60 mile slab slog that took way too long. Gassed up there and got back on the TAT and started worrying about fuel. Nothing between here and Trinidad.

I figured - it can’t still suck here, right? Wrong. It was fine for awhile. Passed the Bunk House I’d heard about and wish I’d stayed there. Then it started getting nasty. Here’s the mud. I made it to about 100 yards from the New Mexico and there was a mud bog I knew I wasn’t going to make it through. Too deep of a puddle and I knew what was at the bottom of it. Now way.

[​IMG]Unfortunately I’d pulled up to take a look and I got stuck right there. Had to find a way off the top heavy bike which isn’t easy with nowhere for a kickstand. Then I had to push it from the front to get it out. A pleasant 20 minutes. I turned around and wandered through the fields passing oil rigs trying to find some pavement. Finally did. I bypassed and got my ass out of Oklahoma and into New Mexico. Thank the lord.

I thought to myself that an imaginary state line isn’t going to make any different. The trail’s going to suck here too. But I got back on and it didn’t. It was totally different. Hard pack - fast riding. And the landscapes started to open up. Again - thank the lord. I felt like I was really entering the West. Great scenery. Then the mesas started showing up. Lot’s of cows and antelope running around. Great fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The riding was awesome. After tons of cattle land it came out to this plateau with a windy downhill overlooking an amazing canyon. Gorgeous.

[​IMG]Then more mesas and more awesomeness. Finally came to a set of rock building and it got a bit confusing. Picked my way through, went the wrong way several times- and then finally found the payoff Sam had in store. A great climb up a rocky trail with a sick view. Then tons more ranches and scenery. Crossed in to Colorado somewhere in there and made it to Branson where I’d hoped to see some gas and was disappointed. Uh oh.

There was a turn off on a dirt road with a sign that said “Trinidad 8 miles”. Only 8 miles- perfect! 20 miles later I realized there must have been a number before the 8 that I’d missed. There’s no way I’m making it to Trinidad on this tank of gas. It was okay - I had some spare. But I wanted to try to make it to Topar to see if they could help with my rack and time was of the essence. That was the longest god damned 8 miles of my life. Had to have been 30. And believe it or not - I did 145 miles on that tank of gas. I know, I know. It’s not possible. But it happened. I didn’t have to stop. I filled up in Trinidad and sped off to Topar. Google said they closed at 1pm and it was about 3pm. I went anyway. And as seems to be the way on the TAT - good people hooked a brother up.

First I had a nice chat with the woman at the desk. I never caught her name but turns out she’s the owner Tony’s wife. So sweet and helpful. I showed her my problems and she said, “Tony likes you TAT riders. He’ll help you.” And help me he did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love Tony. Even if he couldn’t have helped me, bullshitting with him for two hours was the highlight of my day. But of course, he could help me. This guy can do anything. He fabricated a bracket right there. He welded it on the bike. He helped me get the racks all back together. He even painted the bracket and weld points. Holy shit man! I can now mount a god damned howitzer on the side of my bike. No problem. This thing is a TANK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I’m not even going to tell you what he charged me. It was nothing. Not even close to what it should have been. I mean - two hours of his time. He said, “Ahhh, we shot the shit most of that time…” Yeah - we shot the shit - while he worked his ass off and created something out of nothing. Again - grateful and blown away. This is a huge worry off my mind. I wish I’d taken photos of how I had it para-corded together. It was so dumb. He also gave me a secret spot to camp if needed. Went back in the office and chatted with Tony and his wife a bit more. Signed the TAT book. And then took off to find Johnny Pow!

We met at the Tower 64 motel which is funky and suited us just fine. Especially since the La Quinta and hotels like that wanted over $200 for a night and were all booked up mostly anyway. It’s the fourth weekend. People are out and about. We high fived and caught up and drank some beers. I adjusted and lubed my chain. We made a plan for the passes tomorrow. We said a little prayer that the tiny Hondas will make it. And now we’re working on cooking up some grub.

Great day. Met great people. And hooked up with Johnny Pow at long last. I love it when a plan comes together. Wonder CT125 Powers… ACTIVATE!