Trans America Trail - What bike should I choose?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Made from scratch, Jan 22, 2018.

?

Which bike do you think would be best for my Trans America Trail ride?

1. XT 250

9.2%
  2. WR 250r

52.7%
  3. KLX 250

5.3%
  4. CRF 250L

7.6%
  5. CRF 250L Rally

25.2%
  1. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, you might be. I weigh 210 without riding gear. I carried about 45 pounds of gear. That's a total of about 270+ on the bike. I was on a less powerful Honda crf 250 L (I did upgrade the rear shock to work with that load). I did both the MABDR and TAT together- 8000 miles. The bike worked flawlessly. My point is the wr, same basic size/power category as the crf, will be perfect. IMG_2287.jpg
    Hakatan likes this.
  2. dwighop

dwighop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’ve got 3 others in the stable. 350 sxf, v-strom, and h-d touring. Really don’t want to add another machine for one (tat) ride. Keeps thinking I will find the unicorn everybody else has missed.
  3. RobR

RobR up to no good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm late to this thread but I'll throw in my 2 cents because 11 years ago I was were you are now. No real riding experience ,other than a 80cc dirt bike as a kid. I stumbled on this site, heard about the TAT and the CDR and knew I had to do it. After tons a research, I ended up with a WR250R, mainly because of the fuel injection and reliability. I don't regret my decision. I then spent the first summer riding dirt with a bunch of locals and flew to Vegas and took a dirt riding course.

I talked a good friend, who is a lifelong rider, into buying a WR250R also and coming along. We ended up not doing the TAT because of the boring flats in the OK and TX, instead we shipped the bikes to Vegas, where we spent several weekends over the winter riding (we both travel for work, so taking a weekend to ride every month instead of flying home worked great). Then we did the CDR, and the bikes have been moving around storage units in the West for the past 10 years.

Don't ride home, 2000 miles round trip on the slap on a 250 will suck. Store it, and grab a cheap SWA flight home and back. I highly recommend A1 Storage on Baylor near the ABQ airport. The managers are a retired couple that live onsite and are really nice and helpful, plus they have good rates. You can walk there from the airport. We have stored bikes with them on 2 different occasions.
    Fast1 and Hakatan like this.
  4. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably the typical dreamer that post their big adventure in Trip Planning then never even buy a bike. He's moved to another forum of another sport posting about another dream.
    Fast1 likes this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Seems the DRZ has been a very popular bike to ride it. No doubt a well setup WR250R will do it just fine.

No matter the bike expect to need to do alot of prep mods on any bike you choose.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Still a useful thread for other planning.
    I'm going to cross post this in the ADV route master thread
    sieg likes this.
  7. san1k

san1k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread.
    Addapost likes this.