Trans-American Trail planning with a OCD Engineer

Discussion in 'Americas' started by candrewscott, Dec 8, 2014.

1. candrewscott

candrewscott Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the Delay team.

I have been working like crazy to be able to afford this trip and take a month off. It also seems like every day I have off and could ride its been raining and nasty.

I have been slowly procuring all the supplies I need. Here is the list;

Pro-taper handle bars (found the bike down on the street with a nicely bent bar)
    grips
    GPS mount
    tires front and rear (Kenda K270s)
    cables (throttle and clutch)
    break pads
    Klim Dakar pants and jersey
    Scott goggles
    Frogg Togg pants
    RK Chain
    Front and Rear Tubes
    Tire Pump
    wicking undershirts

Still Need;
    dry bags to carry everything
    tool carrier (smashed my old welding tube awile ago)
    Purchase the maps
    Air Filter

I'm Sure there is more that Ill need and just cant remember now.

Hopefully I can do some good riding in the next couple of weeks. Ill keep you updated.:clap
  2. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rural King bags are cheep but are slow to ship. They look as good as made in USA ones though.
  3. candrewscott

candrewscott Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These Pro Taper bars are amazing!!:clap. I have been using stock steel bars for years and putting this set on is a huge change. They are close to stock in dimensions but the aluminum makes the bike feel alive. Its a drastic improvement for $70.
  4. candrewscott

candrewscott Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent news about the trip:-) My recently retired father is going to join me at 12 camp sites while Im away. He recently bought a travel trailer and is looking to do a cross country road trip. He is going to carry my spares and could come to my aid if needed.

I am in the final stages of planning and prep. I'm pretty sure all the gear I need has been purchased. The bike is prepped except a final oil change and new set of tires im going to do the day before I leave.

The current plan is to start in Assateague Delaware on August 3rd. Im starting there because I can get my bike to the beach. Not really ride on the beach but as close as I can get on the East Coast. Do the whole Atlantic to Pacific thing. From there I'm going to take the back roads to Front Royal Va and start on the OHV trails to go down to Harrisonburg Va then hit the GW national Forrest for the first nights camping. Its about 450 miles but a good portion is paved roads or trails that I know and have ridden many times. I'm back-country camping in the GW forest for the first night of the trip so starting hardcore.

Day two the plan is to follow GPSKevins route that cuts through WV heading down towards Ashville NC where I'm meeting my father. I have always wanted to do the tail of the dragon so I'm taking rt 129 into Tn then picking up Sams Route in Tellico.

Getting super excited:jack Still working out the best packing setup. Everything is in my 80L Seal Line duffle. I packed everything and mounted it up and it is huge and awful. I'm going to try and strap the tent and pad down the sides. I'm just worried about the muffler melting stuff.

IMG_2754.JPG

Any thought on best mounting techniques?

Thanks Team
  5. kingrj

kingrj Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You will NOT want all that weight up top like indicated in your photo! You have get the weight down lower on the sides somehow..Giant Loop maybe? Like shown your bike will be almost unmanagable on tight switchbacks in the mountains and in the sand stretches in Utah...
  6. candrewscott

candrewscott Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to report Motorcycle stolen from my parking spot adjacent to my condo.

Have Insurance but will take time and Im sure I wont get enough to buy anything decent.

Thankfully none of the gear was on the bike so if I can find a ride I might be able to make it happen.
  7. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That SO sucks. Really sorry to hear it. The Baltimore and DC papers have had articles recently about how the hoodies look for dirt bikes because they are so good for doing bad things in the city.

It's VERY common for bikes like yours to show up a week or so later with some damage.
  8. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bummer, hope you can make something good out of this.
  9. candrewscott

candrewscott Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so team

Crazy couple of weeks

bought a new bike to do the TAT. got the time off and that is a rare thing.

got a perfect condition (still perfect after pulling it down) 990 adventure

I know its bigger than what everyone advises but its literally my dream bike.

more power than I know what to do with. pulls the front up in second just because

crazy different.

I did the low octane computer change thing that lowers the hp by like 10%

Ive got a rack and new tires coming. I know this is crazy but I cant let them win (the hoodies)

Thanks team
  10. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on getting your dream bike.
    Wow, what a magic trick. Put a KLR in a hat and out pops a KTM!
    LOL
  11. JLRzr

JLRzr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What the hell? They really stole your bike? Oh well, Awesome news on the KTM... pretty cool.

Did you make your launch date? Is your dad still hooking up with you at the camp stops? Great opportunity to enjoy being with your pop.. happy for you.