Trans American Trail Questions

Discussion in 'Americas' started by yoshadventure, Feb 8, 2008.

1. yoshadventure

yoshadventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I'm a Newbie Adventure Rider and have a few qestions.
    I know the trans american trail website says the trail is geared at riding it east to west but has anyone riden it west to east?
    Has anyone riden the trans AM trail using GPS only, not the TAT maps and roll charts?
    This would be my first long enduro trip and I always wanted to see more of the States.
    I live in Seattle WA and was thinking of heading south to OR and starting the trail backwards.
    Any recomendations/advice???
  2. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt More or less in line

Oddometer:
    Yes on all accounts. Use your map software to draw a Track to follow. Not a route, as the GPS will try to auto route you to the wrong turn. It's alot of work drawing the Track, but that's all part of the process.
  3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I did most of it backward with a friend of mine only using the supplied roll charts. It was a PITA. Doable though. The KTM odo was exact to the roll charts, the BMW odo was off about 10%. Made a huge difference for us.

The oregon section will provide the most difficulty.

Can't help with the GPS stuff, I don't know much about that stuff.

J
  4. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I just did a basic offroad route by state, not using the autorouting function. I turned that off in the GPS and on the PC when I made the route. 'Course, that was before you could draw tracks.

The point is, I never carried the maps or the roll charts, just the GPS data. And in Oregon, some of the roads are gone that the route would have you use, and you'll have to 'adapt' when you get there.

It's a really fun ride. Enjoy it.