Trans Australia Trails - Share your GPS Tracks

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PeterWebtrax, Sep 24, 2010.

1. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep it is easier to pay up and go on an APC rally. I have and it was well organized and fun, with some back up if things went wrong.

However Homer doesn't have GPS tracks in my area and we probably can put a better ride in my area than he can. Similarly every contibutor to TAUT probably knows their local area pretty well and it happy to share their knowledge with others.

To get the benefit of the tracks listed on TAUT hit the search button and then select the State and region of the state you are interested in researching. If you tick the track you want to look at most of them come up on the map. You can then see if you can link them up and use them for your trip.

Once you have downloaded to your computer onto Basecamp ( free from Garmin) you can alter the route if you want then load it onto your own GPS unit.

You can't beat the price of this service: free! Homer quite rightly charges a fee to compensate him for his time , talent and training!
  2. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:

I dont know the guy who posted that but it is certainly not a tracklog from a motorcycle. It is just a copy of the Bicentennial trail.
    There are sections all the way thru that track that are not ridable, it is surprising through how much you can do and good options where you cant.
  3. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's right that he should, but I don't think Homer makes anything out of the rides, it's probably break even at best by the time you factor in what's involved. Big love job IMHO. The man just loves riding, and sharing with others.
    His and any other concept of providing gps tracks for riders to follow is putting together the resource of gps track digital info , roads and tracks that are there but in sometimes unknown condition, pre ridden, offering it as a gpx file, and off you go. I know many times tracks shown on shonky, T4A, and the purchased products simply aren't there. Been frustrated many times when a "shown"track turns into a drain, driveway, or a locked gate. The TAUT tracks will be mostly pre ridden hence a far lower strike rate of "Fark it" moments.
    Look fwd to using the tracks:clap
  4. bull600

bull600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done Kym :clap:clap

Now I've just to get onto the Fleurieu stuff as a bit of an add on. Let's keep pumping the TAUT site - I reckon it's great and the more on board the better. Certainly all my tracks have been "ride tested" :wink:

Cheers:thumb
  5. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually I think it was reading your RR's that got me keen to add to TAUT Greg.

I like your use of Ride with GPS to show daily ride legs, but I just haven't got around to it yet.

I plan to ride to Adelaide using your track soon.
  6. bull600

bull600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Give us yell when you intend coming over and let's see if we can catch up :wink:

Cheers:thumb
  7. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    ditto the first reply... much of the official bicentennial track is bitumen or private property, it doesn't have much good rideable stuff at all.

you'd be better looking at the EAST COAST AUSTRALIA - Cape York, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne 13000km 4 weeks. this does use quite a bit of the rideable sections.

i put that together with the help of others, all those tracks have been ridden by someone on an adventure bike. i've done pretty much all the ones from sydney up to 150km north of brisbane, the rest were contributed by others.
  8. PeterWebtrax

PeterWebtrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the Bicentennial Track was one of the first posted up on to Taut by Ross when we were setting it up. So no idea where it was sourced from.

As it has no description, I will put a warning message on there that it is of unknown quality for use as a motorbike adventure ride.

Thanks to Kym for finishing up the Great Dividing Range track. Now, who is going to be first to ride the whole thing and fully document it?

Does anyone know if anything came of the other attempts to create an aussie equivalent of the US Back Country Discovery Routes last year? I was meant to follow up with several folks trying to to do it, but didn't. Now I'm retired I should be able to spend some time on it.

Cheers
    Pete
  9. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    Those early ones were either taken from an earlier thread, ridden by me, or sent to me. I reckon if feedback is received that any trail don't or no longer has ridable sections it should be moved to a NEEDS FIXING page
  10. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i can definitely say that the parts for northern nsw and southeast qld aren't worth using as a fair bit of it is private property or bitumen roads when there are other great dirt roads nearby.

i reckon this would probably be the case for the vast majority of it so personally i think the file would need to be clearly described as not being entirely rideable.
  11. digga1111

digga1111 bann ed

Oddometer:
    are all the tracks on this web site legitimate tracks that have been ridden before?
    was just looking at the bicentennial trail from killarney to cooktown. isn't a fair bit of that restricted access?
  12. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only one way to find out :D
  13. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    definitely digga in my experience, i assume someone put that up just in case someone wanted to research riding as much of it as possible? probably needs to be made clear in the notes...
  14. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Depending on area, but yes there are parts that cross private lands, that are not open to motorised vehicles.

It is worth noting as well the parts that you are only allowed on with a bike (pushie) or horse - some of it is on passable on these modes of transport.

This website is worth checking out http://www.bicentennialnationaltrail.com.au/
  15. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    I've ridden all my tracks that I've put up !!
  16. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bicentenial trail and one of the high country routes have not been ridden fully. The second would be good enough to guide you though. The author ( Bygdaddee? from memory) did it after I asked him to because his RR seemed rather interesting, but his GPS played up on the ride or something. As B1 said the track notes should tell you whether it is a route file ( planned on computer) or a track file ( actually ridden)

I think most of the others are track files (actually ridden).

The purpose of the library on Taut is to give you guidance like having a local guide, but it is up to you to use or modify as much or as little of the GPS files as you want.

For example I liked the look of Bull600's Limestone coast file. I wanted to fill in the gap on Taut between S.A. and Melbourne. So what I did was ride over to Millicent to intersect with his track and then back home to Portland. After that I did a ride that went over near Geelong and Ballarat. Preston Paul then linked my track with others over the other side of Melbourne that go way up the east coast.

So riders could download those GPS files, and if they wanted to, swing from one part of Bull600's ride, then use mine, then onto PP's. Or they could add in bits they want to do using a mapping program ( Basecamp for example).

I like the way you can select multiple GPS files on the website and it comes up on the map. Then you can see where they go and how to modify them for your needs. Well done Peter Webtrax!!!

When I retire in 3 years exactly, I plan to ride up the east coast using taut tracks on GPS. It is a great service to each other and it is free!!!!
  17. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Some of the BNT is;
    on public road (thus usable by registered motorcycle)

on private property
    on National Park property
    not suitable for a bicycle (as in too tough to be enjoyable) (the BNT provides alternative routes for bicycle in parts)
    goes through locked gates (the BNT provides access by various methods .. depends on what the land owner/controller wants to do)

Note the word 'some'.
    Certainly some of the BNT from killarney to cooktown crosses private property and is NOT open to the public in those places.

Some of the public accessible BNT GPS data is out of date .. as in the real BNT does not go that way.

I'd not advise a motorcycle rider to base a ride on BNT data alone.
  18. PeterWebtrax

PeterWebtrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aw shucks Kym, you've got me blushing...

Taut would be a lot better if I actually got stuck into updating the functionality. You'd think now that I'm retired I'd have plenty of time, but no such luck.

Maybe by the time you retire I'll have enough time to join you on the GDR ride.

If anyone out there has good Javascript and PHP skills, and would like to upgrade Taut with some much needed new features, please get in contact.

I'm being distracted by the idea of developing another site that will allow groups of riders to plan a trip online in realtime based on tracks sourced from Taut, Google Maps, hand drawn, wherever. For example, I could put up a route, you could see it on the map, make changes, which I would see happening on my screen as you did it, etc, etc. A bit like sitting around the kitchen table with a map and pencil, but without having to be in the same spot.

Re the Bicentennial Trail, the original one was one that RosscoACT put up there, based on a route file that he sourced from somewhere else, so I'm fairly certain it was something that hadn't been ridden. But in the early days we were just trying to give others an idea of what we were looking for.

I can either take it off (as we have B1's track there) or just put info in the description saying it is the actual Bicentennial Track and not suitable for motorcyle riding.

Cheers
    Pete
  19. mr bones

mr bones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried to get on to Trans tracks website & it's not working for me.
    Anybody else having dramas or is it just me?
  20. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    na sumthin wrong in there