Trans Australia Trails - Share your GPS Tracks

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PeterWebtrax, Sep 24, 2010.

1. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Pete

I have no knowledge of how they got there from ORE.
    Certainly nothing to do with me.
    They dont even exist on ORE anymore.
    They are very old and were mapping experiments from many years ago when I was learning how to create routes.

I dont care what you do with them as long as my name is removed from them so I dont get hassled by disgruntled members.

Unfortunately we live in a society where people are always looking for someone to blame, they need to accept responsibilty for their own action.
    Sadly this is happening less and less.

Like I said, I just do not want to be hassled by people who didnt like my route or hurt themselves or scratched their bike.
    Noely likes this.
  2. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    yep some people
    [​IMG]

and blame everyone else for there decisions in all of life
  3. PeterWebtrax

PeterWebtrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, understand completely.

I've removed the 4 tracks now. Get back to me if any others crop up.

Now, where do I put that 'dude, use your own f...ng common sense' message, and in how many languages. After all, the person who posted the "Byron Bay to Steep Point" ride said it was a 'moderate' level ride, and it's almost a straight line, how hard can that be?

Cheers
    Pete
  4. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Out6ack

Out6ack Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    It's a great site Pete, keep up the good work mate.
    Angry Pete, Perentie and Hoots like this.
  6. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    First place I look when I am going somewhere, try to incorporate as many adventures as possible in the trip.
  7. bull600

bull600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a back up to what others have recently said about the site. It's a fantastic resource and I encourage everyone who has GPS data that they are happy to share to get on board. When tied in with a ride report it's a really great planning tool.

Thanks for all the work Pete :clap:clap:clap

Cheers :thumb
    Angry Pete and Hoots like this.
  8. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    When posting a track I usually try to include what bike I was riding and the level of rider expertise on the ride.
    For example , if I am riding on my DRZ 400 but it was an easy ride and my companion is a novice, then other can judge that it might be OK for bigger bikes too. You can always PM the poster for advice about the ride/difficulty rating for bigger bikes .

The other thing that needs to be stated is, if it gets hairy stop and zoom out your GPS and look for an easier route out. It is obvious to all that are experienced riders. Sitting on my bum in slimy Mt Gambier forest tracks taught me that lesson. Beware green elephant snot limestone roads. It looked easy on the map. Possibly it was in the middle of summer!
    Achar likes this.
  9. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    pete, i'd recommend throwing a disclaimer up. i did some research on that when doing a lot of public rides and judges are increasingly giving legal weight to disclaimers in response to the public disgust with the US model we've adopted of suing anyone and everything at the drop of a hat.

i've summarised what i found in a thread here guaranteed to put anyone to sleep. :)

it has a link to a legal disclaimer which you could adapt for the site if wanted. thankfully you are quite safe because no one is giving you money for the tracks so it would be hard to prove you owe them a duty of care but a disclaimer is handy to have as extra protection.

no one is likely to read small print, so possibly you could have the brief disclaimer on relevant pages with a link to another page that has all the fine print?

great job as always on the site, no doubt 80% of guys use the tracks happily but you won't hear from them, another 19% will say thanks a bundle, then the dickhead 1% will whinge and complain about a free resource, oblivious to the hundreds of hours of work you've put into it.

:baldy
    wassie, bikeroz, griffo1962 and 4 others like this.
  10. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Sounds familiar.

Disclaimer: This comment may or may not have anything to do with anything - but if you are reading this then obviously you have nothing better to do that read real small text.
  11. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that, great stuff. I did read it, and didn't (quite) fall asleep;-) A lot of the links referred to aren't available anymore, or you need to do a search on the site, as they have new addresses. But your disclaimer will be very useful as the basis for a Taut version.

As you say, unfortunately the people who need to read (and understand) the disclaimer are usually the ones who can't be bothered doing it.

I'm thinking I will put a popup box on the track download links which will provide a very short disclaimer, plus a link to the full page, and a checkbox which will need to be clicked before the download will begin. Eminently hackable if you didn't want to click the box, but I think it would be seen as 'taking reasonable steps' in the event of a dispute.

Re any 'duty of care', I don't think we can be seen to be organising anything. Best analogy I can think of is that we are providing a post office like service that enables people who have been on rides to transfer a copy of that ride to someone else. What they do with that GPS track, eg sit at their desktop day-dreaming about doing it, or going out and actually doing it, is totally outside our control.

Whether the contributors of the tracks have a 'duty of care' to ensure that the tracks are safe etc, given the 'riding motorcycles on dodgy dirt roads in inherently dangerous' argument, I don't think they do. Your idea of an 'easy' ride may be completely different to mine.

Anyway, I'm happy to make the above changes, and see how it pans out.

Cheers
    Pete
    prestonpaul likes this.
  12. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    I always read the small text. It's the stuff in the small text that can hurt you. :D
  13. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:

+1

A BIG!! thanks to Peter & all who contribute. I just used the East Coast & a combo of B1's Brissie to Sydney routes for a trip south. Couldn't have been happier with the ride. :)
    RussellM, XRman and nevgriff64 like this.
  14. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    ??? you obviously didn't follow my track correctly griffo if you missed the 100+ metre plunges off cliff faces i always like to work in for a surprise. :)
    RussellM likes this.
  15. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:

lol ;
  16. Out6ack

Out6ack Whale Rider

Oddometer:
    So it WAS deliberate!
    Thanks a lot B1...
    (Sent from my hospital bed;)
  17. Young-Gun

Young-Gun KTM Tragic

Oddometer:
    I led a ride planned in the most part from one of the tracks on the TAT site. There were parts where the farmer had cultivated over the track which in effect became impassable, so we met the farmer and he pointed us through his backyard, then we got terribly lost with dead ends and locked gates and ended up riding through some amazing countryside, places none of us had been before... WHAT AN ADVENTURE!! :clap
    OFB likes this.
  18. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Great to hear people are using Taut for the reason it was created. At the time I developed it there was no website where you could show multiple tracks on the one map to link tracks together to meet your own needs.

We now have about 270 tracks that you can mix and match.

And well done to those who recognise that the tracks are an indication of a 'possible' track between A and B. It's up to you to exercise your good judgement when you tackle them.

Cheers
    Pete
    ktmgeoff, Hoots, B1 and 2 others like this.
  19. Spots

Spots Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the site. It's a really good resource and I appreciate the effort that's gone into it (for all involved).

Out of curiosity: should we be notifying anyone about sections of tracks which are now inaccessible either physically or legally? Or does that fit into the notion above that "a path _may_ be available between A and B"?

e.g. Yesterday I loosely followed a loop from TAUT ("Brisbane, Ripley Rd, Duck Ck Rd, O'Reillys..."). I discovered that one of the dirt roads is now closed at both ends due to a bridge collapse - and the creation of a huge earthen wall to prevent accidental access to said bridge. It was trivial to route around using other roads, but it got me thinking about the data integrity of the site's tracklogs in a more general sense.

Or another example, my understanding is that the section of that tracklog which routes along "Steele Rd" near Logan Village is now passing through enforced/surveiled/etc no-go areas nowadays.
  20. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Yes, it would be good if you notified someone. Who is the next question.

If the pop-up description of the track includes an "AdvRider user" name (as opposed to the Taut user name), and you think they are still an active user, it's probably best to PM them and ask if they would mind updating the description with the info you supply. Ensure you put a 'date notified' into the description, so readers will have an idea if it is still likely to be an issue.

If you don't get a response, or they don't know their password, or they're not interested any more, feel free to PM me with the same info. I can then put my 'god' hat on and edit the description.

Cheers
    Pete
    RussellM, Hoots and Spots like this.