Trans Australia Trails - Share your GPS Tracks

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PeterWebtrax, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a good idea in principle, but is it practical?

I think it might be better to go with a disclaimer that people have to read and accept before progressing to the track description

Something to effect that they acknowledge that the tracks and information pertain to a particular point in time and may no longer be accurate - and that the descriptions and grading are individual / subjective, and may also have changed - etc etc etc

The tracks on TAT should really just be viewed as a starting point / guide - anyone who downloads a file and heads off into the bush without any other research should be prepared to expect the unexpected
  2. PeterWebtrax

PeterWebtrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not expecting this to be a substitute for the disclaimer (which I'll get up there one day, soon, promise), just extra information that may help the viewer.

Especially if it is a long-term closure due to rock-fall or legislation type of change. And this is likely to happen more and more as some of the tracks on Taut get older.

'Caveat emptor', and 'you get what you pay for', both spring to mind.
    Cheers
    Pete
    Hoots likes this.
  3. RussellM

RussellM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The problem with this approach is that as the data quality degrades, and if no one is going back and fixing tracks, or at least marking issues on them, then it is no longer a "trusted source" and the whole thing collapses and becomes irrelevant. This is true of any data centric system, usefulness has a directly proportional relationship with data quality.
  4. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely true

But as long as the date that the track was uploaded is apparent, then the user should be able to make their own judgements as to how much faith to put in track conditions / closures / etc

And again, tracks taken from TAUT (or anywhere else) are just going to be a starting point
  5. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Ok, I've finally got around to putting in the disclaimers on Taut.

The disclaimer is a bastardised version of B1's, and given I'm no lawyer, may be next to useless now, but still.

There are now warning messages on the front page, and on the pop-up track information window, advising that you should read the disclaimer.

When attempting to download a track, you will then get a prompt requiring you to agree that you have read the disclaimer, and more importantly that you understand it, before you will be able to continue and download the track.

Hope that helps to save me being dragged into court because of someone else's lack of common-sense.

I've also tried to fix up the problem we had with the track list disappearing off the bottom of the page under certain conditions. Doesn't always work right, but should be better than it was.

Also, we are now up to 300 tracks, with Lentil and a few others putting some good tracks in recently. Check'em out, and keep'em coming.

Cheers
    Pete
    Baz131 and mcguyver like this.
  6. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good onya Peter. Appreciate the work you put in to this. Its a great resource
    OFB likes this.
  7. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is fantastic

My only suggestions (for what they're worth) would be:

(a) Just have a Disclaimer, without the terms and conditions (ie leave all the info there, but just give it one name)

(b) Make the text Disclaimer a bit bigger and more visible on the main page - and maybe give it it's own tab on the menu bar

(c) Add a hyperlink (to the Disclaimer) to the pop-up question screen that appears before tracks can be downloaded

Might also be good to put a call out to see if an inmate lawyer could run their eyes over it from a legal perspective ...
  8. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Your wish is my command, sir...

---
    My only suggestions (for what they're worth) would be:

(a) Just have a Disclaimer, without the terms and conditions (ie leave all the info there, but just give it one name)

Got rid of the Terms & Conditions, as they weren't really T&Cs. Not sure they are all Disclaimer either, but...

(b) Make the text Disclaimer a bit bigger and more visible on the main page - and maybe give it it's own tab on the menu bar

I've removed the T&C's reference so Disclaimer heading is more visible.

I did already have a 'Disclaimer' item in the menu bar, rhs. Need glasses;-)

(c) Add a hyperlink (to the Disclaimer) to the pop-up question screen that appears before tracks can be downloaded

For technical reasons (read I'm too lazy to put too much time into this) I can't put links into the pop-up from the download icon in the list, but I can from the information pop-up visible when you hover over the track title, so that was done.

Cheers
    Pete
  9. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you're smiling ...

Just a suggestion ...

I'm always happy to ... :stfu
  10. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Yep, always smiling...

Happy to have feedback. After 40 years in IT, I've learnt that I'm the worst person to review my own work.

Cheers
    Pete
    lentil likes this.
  11. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Join the club :D
  12. motog

motog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All

I just got back from a couple days riding with a few mates through the Wombat and Lerderderg State Forests. A hastily planned trip was made fantastic by using a few of the trails I found on the TAUT site. Particularly the Wallan to Daylesford trail and another one starting in Blackwood. I'll post some photos later.

Thanks to those who uploaded the trails and thanks to Pete for hosting the site.

Jim
    Out6ack likes this.
  13. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Ain't that the truth.
  14. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Disruption to Taut website due to hacking

I happened to notice yesterday that Taut has had a massive increase in users since I looked at it last.

We now have over 45,000 users registered!

Yeah, right. We actually now have 45,000 fake users registered by hackers trying to find their way into my server, I presume. As far as I can tell, they haven't got any further than registering users, but that could be 'famous last words' by the eternal optimist in me.

I've spent today working on it, and don't have a full solution. I have temporarily removed access to the 'add new user' functions which should stop any more being created. Unfortunately I've had to removed the 'Add/Edit track' functions as well. This means you won't be able to load up any new tracks until I find a way to make it all more secure than it currently is.

And given I have some other more important things to work on at the moment, that may mean several weeks before anything more is done. So just hold off uploading new tracks until I post another message here saying all functionality has been restored.

My main problem is that I wrote most of the code back in 2010! So I have to work out how I actually did it before I can fix it.

The good news: We now have about 420 tracks listed on Taut.
    And how many have I ridden. SFA.

Cheers
    Pete
    dunc, Ed Muggles, Hoots and 7 others like this.
  15. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    Hope all goes well. I need to upload some more tracks. And like you, Pete, I haven't had chance to ride any ( lately ).
  16. SidecarLeigh

SidecarLeigh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Getting a Zumo 959 soon, so I'll need some help .....please, Cheers Leigh
  17. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Taut has just gone back online. Locking it down to stop the hackers didn't take long, but I then got side-tracked by other un-related problems.

You'll notice that quite a few of the menu items have disappeared. You can't log in, add new tracks, edit old tracks etc.

But you can still do all the searching and displaying of tracks on GoogleMaps, and download tracks.

If you run into any problems, get back to me on info@transaustraliatrail.com.au

Now I need to ponder my options re stopping any future attacks.

It has made me realise how much I've forgotten in the 5 years I've been retired from IT work. I may have to make some hard decisions about whether I can continue to host and maintain Taut.

So I'll put out my gentle request for help, again, to anyone with web development skills, preferably PHP based who would be willing to take on maintenance of the site. It doesn't require much, but it does require some TLC after my years of neglect. The web world has changed a lot since I developed it. So if you've got a hankering to make Taut version 2 all your own with new tech, feel free, I'll be happy to help.

If that doesn't bear fruit, I may need to consider more drastic actions, eg transferring the data to another site, or worst case, shutting it down. Neither of which I want to do, and I won't do it unless I run into more problems, which hopefully won't be soon.

Cheers
    Pete
    LivingdeadCamo and Suncoaster like this.
  18. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    I'm not the right person to help you on this, as I don't actually have a 'real' GPS, I use my phone. But there is a thread on Advrider dedicated to the use of GPSes, which I'm sure someone else will be able to point you to if you can't find it.
  19. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    Great to hear it's back up Pete, and again thanks for all the work you've put in over the years. I've referred countless people to the site when they ask about adventure riding route options. Just a bummer I don't know anyone who could help you.
    Dukehunt likes this.
  20. Dukehunt

Dukehunt Lost in Translation Nev 2.0 Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I second 1CB's comment Pete, sorry I can't help either but I use and recommend the site quiet a lot, it is a great resource for travelling our country by backroads.
    It's a great site and I would be sorry to see it go.