1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Trans Australia Trails - Share your GPS Tracks

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PeterWebtrax, Sep 24, 2010.

1. PeterWebtrax

PeterWebtrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, not the error I was expecting.

I've tried it through an external website checker, and it is saying 'the site is down', but not telling me why!

Could someone enter the following two addresses into your browser, and tell me if you get different responses, and a snapshot if you do.

Ensure you copy all the text on each line, and paste it in to the browser address line.
    http://transaustraliatrail.com.au
    https://transaustraliatrail.com.au

And could anyone who is comfortable with using the command line try the following command (I'm assuming you are using Windows).

tracert transaustraliatrail.com.au
    (traceroute if you are on Linux or Mac) and send me a snapshot of the output.

We'll get there eventually.
  2. MultiDV8

MultiDV8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same result with either address.

Here's the Trace route . looks OK to my limited IT skills.

trace_transaus.png

I also just tried that address using my android phone on Telstra and same result - not found.
  3. Creechure

Creechure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ditto :hmmmmm
  4. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm going to have to go away and do some thinking on this. It is the right IP address you are going to, but the 2 links should have given you 2 different results (as I haven't set up the secure version).

Weird. I'm sure it will be something simple. But I've got to get back to working on the go-kart for now.

Cheers
    Pete
  5. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    % traceroute transaustraliatrail.com.au
    traceroute to transaustraliatrail.com.au (14.200.207.153), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    <snip>
    5 au-ns-1813-ipg-01-eth2-2004.tpgi.com.au (203.220.35.25) 3.232 ms 3.250 ms 3.265 ms
    6 syd-apt-ros-crt2-he-0-3-0-3.tpgi.com.au (203.29.134.66) 7.878 ms syd-apt-ros-crt1-he-0-3-0-2.tpgi.com.au (203.29.134.1) 13.452 ms syd-apt-ros-crt2-he-0-3-0-2.tpgi.com.au (203.29.134.2) 9.610 ms
    7 202.7.173.70 (202.7.173.70) 6.635 ms cbr-trn-nor-crt1-be-10.tpg.com.au (202.7.173.66) 6.563 ms 202.7.173.102 (202.7.173.102) 6.417 ms
    8 60-240-23-4.static.tpgi.com.au (60.240.23.4) 5.734 ms 60-240-23-68.static.tpgi.com.au (60.240.23.68) 5.595 ms 60-240-23-4.static.tpgi.com.au (60.240.23.4) 5.550 ms
    9 * * *
    10 * * *
    11 * * *
    12 * * *
    ...etc
  6. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pings ok?
    % ping 14.200.207.153
    PING 14.200.207.153 (14.200.207.153) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 14.200.207.153: icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=10.1 ms
    64 bytes from 14.200.207.153: icmp_seq=2 ttl=56 time=10.1 ms
    64 bytes from 14.200.207.153: icmp_seq=3 ttl=56 time=10.1 ms
    64 bytes from 14.200.207.153: icmp_seq=4 ttl=56 time=10.2 ms
  7. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys, I'm still flummoxed trying to work out what is happening, or not happening...

I have 3 websites on my server, and they are all functioning ok from my machine. But using various tests from outside my network it appears that 2 are working and only TransAustraliaTrail.com.au is not.

Could a few of you just check the following 3 addresses and see if you are seeing the same thing.
    webtrax.com.au
    aikidocanberra.com
    transaustraliatrail.com.au

I can remember castigating other companies in the past for not checking their sites from outside, and now I'm feeling very sheepish that I've done the same thing.

Cheers
    Pete
  8. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
    all 3 dont open on my computer
    the same page as i put up last night on all 3
  9. felixblack1

felixblack1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same
  10. saltyD

saltyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get the same results on all three.

• traceroure barfs at 60-240-23-4.static.tpgi.com.au
    • pings all ok.
  11. Goosefeather

Goosefeather Captain Slow

Oddometer:
    3 sites - connections all time out
    Chrome on Windows 10

All three PING ok . . . interestingly the three names give the same reply IP address?

PING.jpg
  12. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys

The 3 websites are on the same server, which is why the same address.

I'm still no closer to solving it. I spent an hour and a half talking to TPG tech support this morning, and "it's been escalated" now, but I'm starting to think I stuffed up the reconfiguration of my router last week when I had to do a factory default reset on it.

I can't see anything wrong with it, but it might be easier to just do the whole factory reset again, and check it step by step.

Cheers
    Pete
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    It pays to back up your router config files and also keep version control (so you can go back to a known good one) for just such scenarios.
    I know it's a bit late for this episode, but for the future.
    Good luck sorting it Pete.
  14. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Yeah, normally I would have it backed up, but TPG don't allow you to do that on the standard router they supply. PITA.

It's not a big deal as I only have a few things to modify, and I'm getting real good at doing it now.

After 2 days of talking to TPG, and being assured that the constipation is not coming from their end (so to speak), I thought I had found the reason this afternoon, and after 3 hours of testing and changing settings I had to admit that, no I have not found the cause yet. Faaark!

Another day of this, and I might just have to bite the bullet and move it to a 'proper' hosting service, not my dodgy one.

But on a very positive note, when I was in the depths of despair working on this shit today, I got a message from an inmate who has kindly offered to help out. We still have to have a chat about it, but I really am hoping he can. Otherwise I might have to pull the plug on it.

Cheers
    Pete
  15. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    During the last week or so I have been looking over a new model modem/router another ISP/RSP is going to supply to customers, they have crippled the ability to do backups of configuration & firmware as well, they took my blunt comments about the totally unprofessional delivery in that manner well, it is just unbelievable to me that anyone would do that in thus day & age & so I dont recommend the ISP supplied units :lol3
  16. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Ok, I have managed to salvage something from the wreckage...

I know what the problem is now, but have absolutely no idea what is causing it. I won't bore you with the gory details.

So, in my inimitable way, I have put in an awful hack to at least make the Taut track search visible again. I cringe every time I think about it, but needs must.

The downside, for you, is that it is only accessible from a slightly different address. One address only, nothing else.

Which is: http://transaustraliatrail.com.au:8080

I've had to gaffer tape a number of changes into the code, so I may not have caught everything. If you see anything not working, please PM me.

I'll be taking a break from it for a while as I try to catch up on all my delayed jobs. Which means there is still no track uploading functionality. But the good news is that I have a partner in crime now, who is going to help me with the updates to bring the software up-to-date and make it more secure. I could also have to move the site to an external 'proper' hosting company as my belt-and-braces home setup is not working properly at the moment.

Cheers
    Pete
  17. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for all your hard work.
    Rider 101 and SaAdvRider99 like this.
  18. bigborett

bigborett Hipster Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like he^ said.

People like yourself make it better for us dumber ones.
    mrsdnf likes this.
  19. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Ok, TPG have provided a way to clear the problem (well I think that is what it is doing).

So the site has gone back to its original address: transaustraliatrail.com.au
    The temporary address will continue to work for a while in case your browser wants to remember it.

I still have to do some more checks, but I'm hoping this is a complete fix, and a permanent one. Fingers crossed.

Cheers
    Pete
    stumps, BergDonk, Weld75 and 4 others like this.