Trans Australia Trails - Share your GPS Tracks

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PeterWebtrax, Sep 24, 2010.

1. PeterWebtrax

PeterWebtrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oops, sorry about that. Should be right now.

Looks like I will have to keep an eye on this to see how much data is transferred when all the tracks are displayed. I'm hoping that Google caches most of them so it won't come direct from my machine.

Cheers
    Peter
  2. mike-s

mike-s 2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer:
    Bookmarked!

Will certainly try downloading and uploading as my bike gps (explorist 210) can work with .gpx files
  3. Lupine128

Lupine128 That's MR Band Aid!

Oddometer:
    registered, bookmarked, will try out up and downloads tonight.

looks like a good start tho.
  4. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Minor update...

The GPX files now download correctly rather than displaying in the browser.

Cheers
    Peter
  5. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    Can't get a scroll bar on the tracks list - too many now to to see on the screen. Scroll bar on the window though.

Mac PPC/Safari
    Mac Intel/Google Chrome as well.

(Don't use Firefox)

viz
  6. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Ok, I've had to revise the layout so all the tracks could display in the track list. That has meant ditching the accordion collapso/expando thing. It clashed with the tooltips and map.

But it looks like we have passed the limit where Google will display that many tracks on the map. I'm assuming nobody else is seeing tracks on the map when the page first loads. When you do a search and restrict the number of tracks, they do display.

Cheers
    Peter
  7. Tagati

Tagati tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer:
    Townsville, Capital of Free Australia (NQ)
    I concur

Also when I do a search for Qld tracks the Qld Bicentennial trail does not come up?
  8. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Had a look @ the website, not bad, still working out how to pilot it!
    map information is not accurate in some sections, ground I've walked on!
    How do we operate the 'feedback' section? wouldn't play ball for me,
    then computers are smart, it's probably seen me coming & said 'not again!'
    Cheers
    Baza
  9. Tagati

Tagati tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer:
    Yeah the thing to be careful of is there might be a need to show if a track has been ridden or drawn. If it has been ridden the info should be spot on. If it has been drawn then it's only as accurate as the map used
  10. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Can't agree more, checked out some tracks I've ridden [& walked!],:eek1
    missnamed roads - farm roads, etc. :deal
    Sounds like a good project - count me in :rofl
    Baza
  11. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    +1 for this, just had a bit of a look. Downloaded a few tracks and had a look on mapsource, I think i'd be only interested in the "ridden" files as I could create drawn files myself when planning. Can this be displayed on the tab ?
    Still they do give you a few ideas but you can't be sure the creator has done their research so it would be safer to DIY..
    Just a thought :D
    Great work !
  12. Tagati

Tagati tEAM iDIOT

Oddometer:
    There is a way you can check when you have it up on Mapsourse. (I don't guarantee it's foolproof)
    Click on the "Tracks" tab on the left window. Then right click the track, Then select "Track Property's" (should be on the bottom of the menu). A legit track should have elevation, Leg Speed, Leg Time, info there. If it has that info then it is accurate because someone has been there. If not its probably drawn.

As for names of roads and farm's TauT has no controll over that. The map your seeing is the Google Map's map and TauT can not change that info. They can put an overlay on it but that's it. Now when you download a track your just getting a track. not a map. So when you view it in Mapsourse your going to see road names and farm name's that are on your map.

Hope this helps
  13. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    Yah that's better. (Though would still like to see a separate scrollable window for tracks).

I've got some other ideas on usability, but need to experiment some more e.g. highlight on track and map zooms to show it. That may be out of what google maps will allow you to do...

viz
  14. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback folks.

Re the tracks, I'm assuming they are recordings of tracks that people have actually done, but the file can also include the 'route' that was planned. When I convert the GPX to KML for display I get gpsbabel (the conversion program) to limit the number of points to 50 to keep the size down. But I could also be losing critical information. Basically what displays on our map is meant to be an indication of the track path, the real data is in the uploaded GPX file.

First call for help. If anyone has time to play with some of the GPX files and the various options in gpsbabel to find the best compromise KML output, that would be very helpful. I'm flat out working on another project that has to be done in 4 weeks, then I'm off overseas for a month, so I'm not going to be much help for the next 2 months.

Re the feedback link, it relies on being able to start up your email client. Probably best to give feedback here anyway, so everyone can see it.

Re the user interface, the scrollable list of tracks will come back. Still need to work out what tracks we display on the first look at the page. Currently thinking I might display the list of tracks, but not on the map, there would be a separate button to display them once tracks of interest are selected.

Re some tracks not showing in their correct states. That is probably because some users who shall remain nameless (RosscoACT) have uploaded tracks without filling in the appropriate fields in the form. The software has no magic to allow it to work out what state the track is in, you need to tell it.

This is something that needs to be stressed. The tracks on their own are not going to be much use to people if we get a thousand or more on the site. Every track needs to be classified properly so users can search and find exactly what they want.

Second call for help. If anyone has Javascript/AJAX/PHP/Cake skills who can donate some time that would also be much appreciated. Especially on the Javascript/AJAX side where I'm not real flash.

Finally, don't expect this all to be finished in the next couple of weeks. I would expect us to take at least 3 months to get this working well. The main thing is that the database can hold all the tracks and entered information while we test and improve the user interface over time.

Now back to work for me.
    Cheers
    Peter
  15. itsgunnahurt

itsgunnahurt Gravity Enhanced!

Oddometer:
    Hi Peter,
    Awesome work!
    I registered yesterday and had a bit of a play round with it.
    Something that bugs me: "Hilight" and "Donwload" just typos.

The interface is good, easy to navigate, though it took me a little while to work out how to see the tracks when I first logged in the other day. i see them today.
    Also being able to filter the tracks is great, I haven't tested this too much though.

Is it possible to select a number of tracks, say with a check box so you might be able to "join" up a number of tracks and build a trip?

I downloaded a few tacks in put them into both Oziexplorer and Google Earth, this worked OK for me.
    Haven't checked for accuracy of the tracks (out of scope), but then you'd have no control over that anyway.

My setup:
    Ubuntu Linux
    Firefox 3
    Google Earth 5
    Oziexplorer running under Wine

Great idea and looks good so far.
  16. Goosefeather

Goosefeather Captain Slow

Oddometer:
    Loaded a two-day trip as a trial.

A couple of thoughts - The "type" options are currently Trail (mainly dirt) and Road (mainly tar) . . - perhaps add a 50:50 option,

or perhaps have categories based on % dirt 0-20-40-60-80-100?

or perhaps differentiate single track - double track - fire trail - dirt road?

I know it's hard to classifiy a big trip, as that may be a mixture of all the above - maybe an alternative is to show the class of bike ridden - e.g. 250-400 / 650-800 / 950-1200 - that may give others ome idea of the ride suitability ??

Good initiative!
  17. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    starting to fix one by one
  18. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went for a ride today and took the GPS, but lost power to the GPS early on (not sure why yet) so I didn't get anything.

Sorry Guys.
  19. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    Younger brother is a senior systems engineer, platform SUN unix boxes etc. Bit of a Java expert I understand. However to get him involved might take some serious arm twisting - let me know if you hit a wall and I'll see what I can do

viz
  20. Silky

Silky Awaiting Baby...

Oddometer:
    Just a quick question, I noticed that a few of my tracks have been put up, which I have no problem with. But what happens if someone has a major screw up following one of my tracks?

Ordinarily I don't care on ADVrider as it's a US website, but how does this translate to an Aussie registered site?

On another note, I agree with excluding tracks that are drawn rather than traced with the GPS unit. Or at least caution that it is a rough guide only.