Trans Australia Trails - Share your GPS Tracks

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PeterWebtrax, Sep 24, 2010.

1. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Silky has a point

The website needs a disclaimer re accuracy of tracks and a friendly warning of use at your own risk, nothing scary

Perhaps a check box on registering to indicate acknowledgement of own risk etc

All very boring really but we live in a modern world & while we would all hope those looking at and using the tracks are experienced travellers there will be the odd one or two eventually & could bring down a lot of good work by good people
  2. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    That was me. Could you say which ones are yours so I can give you credit? It's actually more than that, it's important to have people be able to ask questions of the author where possible. Unless of course you want to remain anonomous.

On the liability issue, I guess we should put something up like "We recommend that no one under any circumstances uses these tracks for anything, ever. Motocycling is dangerous and you would be mad to even get on one let alone ride one on the street, and don't start about dirt. It is simply not safe. We strongly suggest that you stay at home and read about people who ride motorcycles. DO NOT USE THESE TRACKS IN A GPS UNLESS YOU ARE A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL"
  3. WestOzKLX

WestOzKLX Elsie with Allspeeds

Oddometer:
    Track added. Looks the goods so far.:thumb :thumb :thumb
    Question:
    Can you make the actual track line that comes up on the G'Earth map a different colour than black, say red or bright green. I ask because in Map mode all is good but trying to follow the trail in the Hybrid or Satellite modes makes this quite difficult.
  4. Silky

Silky Awaiting Baby...

Oddometer:
    The tracks that are mine are listed, which is cool. I was a bit surprised really that one wasn't asked but I'm cool with them being used.

I guess the issue was seeing my tracks up there, having someone use them and then if anything went pear shaped, the blame would come back.

Not that I really care if someone uses my tracks, hell if I can ride them, anyone can.
  5. PeterWebtrax

PeterWebtrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Re other peoples' tracks being posted, I took the first 10 or so from the GPX thread, most of which had been put there by Silky.

I meant to say when I opened it up that the people who posted those tracks originally should register and send me a message and I will allocate the tracks back to them. If they are not claimed I will take them off.

Re licences and disclaimers, I really don't want to head down the legalistic track. I looked at Everytrails licence and you basically agree to absolve them of any risk and hand over your first born child as a surety. But they do have extra info uploaded, eg personal photos which would have copyright issues.

I'm not sure what the situation is with a track. It's not really a creative work, so not sure it needs a licence. But I'm no lawyer and sure some will disagree.

Cheers
    Peter
  6. Silky

Silky Awaiting Baby...

Oddometer:
    Yeah no worries, just wanted to make sure that it would all be cool. I've registered an account under the same psuedonym.
  7. Silky

Silky Awaiting Baby...

Oddometer:
    Hey Pete, did you also upload all those GPX files up to Everytrails.com?
  8. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Looks like I loaded up the Colo to Bilpin one when I was testing Everytrail to see if it would be suitable for our needs. It was meant to be kept 'private'. Sorry about that.

I think I have deleted it now, although EveryTrail doesn't give any help or indication on how to delete a trip.

Cheers
    Peter
  9. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peter

I agree with you about preferring not to go down the legal route but I would not like to see yourelf or any contributor on the wrong end of any legal nasties

I recall a few years back a participant in a week long organised social ride event who was described by other riders as an accident waiting to happen then attempt to sue the organiser after the predicted major fall.
  10. Silky

Silky Awaiting Baby...

Oddometer:
    Hey Pete,

No Objections about it being used, just wouldn't mind a heads up about it.

Probably not a bad idea to tell whoever put it here as well, Just want to remain in the loop.
  11. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This is part of what I use - it may be of some use!
  12. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Re the track colour, I have had trouble finding a colour that works in all of the potential displays, as some are light and some dark backgrounds. Plus I'm colour blind, so I hardly see red tracks at all;-)

Might need to change to the 'earth' view in Taut and find a colour that stands out there so that if the track is downloaded to Google Earth we can be confident that it will also show up well there.

I can do a mass colour change for all tracks, so I'll try out a few options and get your feedback.

Cheers
    Peter
  13. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Viz, thanks for the offer, but I think he'll tell you that Javascript and Java are completely different languages and he probably never touches Javascript. Happy if I'm wrong though.

Cheers
    Peter
  14. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Leith

Looks like a good start for a simple disclaimer. Although I do like Rossco's approach. If we tell visitors that we are only posting these tracks so they can see how dangerous adventure riding really is, they can't say we are encouraging them to do stupid things.

I'm sure the legal eagles will tell us that the disclaimers aren't worth the paper they're not written on. So you can't win either way.

Cheers
    Peter
  15. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    Well there you go - shows how much *I* know about any language :D . (Would not surprise me though if he did know - boy's a genius). All is not lost - I have another friend who does this sort of stuff (Javascript etc) for a living - sent him and email and got no reply - which is a bit ominous (does not generally do freebies). However he has a huge amount of knowledge, and what he does not know he learns; if his interest is tweaked he might be able to cast his eye over any problems. I sent him a link to the site and also to this site to read the comments.

Let me know if you come up against a wall

viz
  16. hahnelw

hahnelw Just Mapping Another Ride

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

Great concept. Just uploaded one and it seems work well. Just cant get any of the tracks to overlay on the map.

Cheers

WH
  17. PeterHOz

PeterHOz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great idea, registered and keen to help.

I don't see the tracks on the maps at all (firefox 3.6.10). PC running windows 7.

Suggestion - is there an issues log available somewhere ? - spent some time reading all the feedback before posting the above.

Keep up the good work
    Pete
  18. WestOzKLX

WestOzKLX Elsie with Allspeeds

Oddometer:
    Just click the search button first and then select a state for example or add a place name. The tracks that are relevant then come up. The map wont display all the tracks.

An issue I recon with the tracks that have lots of waypoints. Seems to be a problem. The tracks uploaded with just the track file or with just a few waypoints seem to work great!

Opines!
  19. Dan_B

Dan_B Sunny Coast KLR'r

Oddometer:
    Cape York one is still displaying contents of XML instead of downloading. The other QLD ones all download correctly.

Should be picking up a Garmin 60 Csx tonight hopefully, so will be able to add/test properly.
  20. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Can anyone else confirm this with the Cape York trip?

I've just tried and it downloaded on my machnie.

Cheers
    Peter

PS I'm away for 3 days so don't expect any progress till next week.