Trans Australia Trails - Share your GPS Tracks

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PeterWebtrax, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Dan_B

Dan_B Sunny Coast KLR'r

Oddometer:
    Yeah that would have worked, but for consistency it would be better to be the same as all the others. It's working fine here on my home computer, so either has been fixed, or work computer was playing silly buggers (Could have been cached from when I opened it a while ago).

I use Google Chrome, and all of QLD seems to working fine now.
  2. PeterWebtrax

PeterWebtrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I suspect it must have been cached, cos the new setting comes from the server and is set the same for all files.
  3. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Ok, few last minute changes before I head off.

I've put selector check boxes on the track list. By default the tracks won't display on the map. You can then click a check box to make a track appear/disappear on the map.

I've also put a short-cut checkbox up the top of the list to display/hide all tracks. But be warned it will get very confused if you use the individual checkboxes and then the short-cut one. It ain't smart.

There seems to be a limit of about 10 tracks before they stop displaying on the map. Still don't know what the limit is, or why it is happening.

Have fun
    Cheers
    Peter
  4. Dan_B

Dan_B Sunny Coast KLR'r

Oddometer:
    Check boxes seem to work well Peter. Good job!

Once I've connected the GPS up to the PC, I'll have a play with loading some tracks off and play around.
  5. Not for Highway Use

Not for Highway Use Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer:
    Had another look at the site.

Great jobs fellas:clap

Now just gotta find the time to ride'm:deal
  6. holmesie

holmesie I like stuff...

Oddometer:
    >looks at watch<

>taps foots<
  7. InertiaDRZ400

InertiaDRZ400 AusSafari Addict

Oddometer:
    Awesome, you have created the online version of an offroad Tom Tom !

Not that impressed.

Im not a fan of anything that take the venture away from Adventure.

Steve
  8. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl :rofl your distain is duely noted:rofl :rofl :rofl
  9. Dan_B

Dan_B Sunny Coast KLR'r

Oddometer:
    So I've finally gotten the bike back, scored a GPSMAP 60csx cheap, the RAM Mount turned up today, so I'm hoping to be able to start to add a couple of local tracks around Townsville.

The first one I'll do is Tagati's trip to Ravenswood. Haven't been on that road before, so keen to see it, plus it'll let me get used to how it all works. Used to navigating waterways by GPS, not motorbikes :D

I'm thinking I can do a couple of little half day trips that can all link together to form a day trip, or several day trip. Should be easy to do as they all seem to start/end in similar places. The little half day trips will also help me get back into the dirt riding (been out of it most of this year due to broken bike) and also get some of the others up here who want to ease into it. Also I know Droopy can't always get whole days away, so might be good for him too.
  10. rosscoact

Oddometer:
    cheers Dan,

make sure you upload the trail and include any comments along the way. Cheers
    Ross
  11. Dan_B

Dan_B Sunny Coast KLR'r

Oddometer:
    Yep all will be logged and uploaded Ross. Although having looked further into it this afternoon with Corey (MadGalah), it seems your National Trail link has done a lot of the more common runs here!!!

Gonna have to find more now :D
  12. eRRmmm

eRRmmm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is looking good fellas, will be a fantastic resource once it gets more tracks uploaded. I uploaded a track and downloaded a few others and it all worked perfectly (I'm using Firefox). I need to re-do a few rides and record gpx files so I can upload them....

One suggestion that I thought might help especially in the future when there are lots of tracks: it may be difficult to work out which track I want to download just by name if I don't know the area (town names etc), but looking at the track line on the map I can see where I want to go. It would be great to have some way to label the track without making a mess of the display. Perhaps a popup of the track details when I hover the mouse over the track? Or click a track and it highlights it in the list? Maybe even right click a track and download gpx? I understand this is probably more technically challenging than it appears but it would be a nice touch.

Any plans to promote the site to get more riders uploading tracks?
  13. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    After a long delay (just to give you guys time to test the original version;-) I have finally got around to producing an updated version of Trans Australia Trails.

Check out Version 2 at http://transaustraliatrail.com.au/

Most of the changes are on the 'Find tracks' page, as this is likely to be the most used page on the site. A brief description of some of the changes is on the front page.

Looking for your constructive feedback. It would also help if folks could load up some more tracks to make it more realistic. We currently have 54, but a few of those won't display as they are the wrong format.

Also, someone in Tasmania must have a GPS track to share.

You might notice there is a big difference between the way various tracks display, ie some are plain line with no waypoints, others have well documented waypoints. I have no idea what sort of GPS they are coming from, and how the waypoint descriptions are being added, so I might get in contact with some of the well documented ones' authors to find out, and post the info on the site. It makes a big difference to the usefulness of the track when it is documented well.

I will now start working on improving the admin pages, ie for uploading and editing tracks. Currently you are still restricted to uploading GPX type files. I should be able to set this up so it can convert from other formats automatically. Not sure how well it will work yet though.

Once that is done, say 3-4 weeks (the eternal optimist that I am), we should be able to 'go live' and promote it more to make it 'the' place for adventure riders to put their tracks.

Cheers
    Peter
  14. carmima

carmima All Orange :-)

Oddometer:
    Great work Peter and thanks for the effort...it's greatly appreciated :clap
  15. rosscoact

Oddometer:
    Get stuffed, I told him to do it, I should take the credit :lol3
  16. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Well you obviously didn't tell me hard enough, given how long version 2 has taken to arrive.
  17. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Also forgot to mention.

The site looks like shit in IE6. Usable, just, but the track list is stuck down below the map, etc, etc.

Life's to short to worry about 10 year old web browsers.

If enough people complain, I might deign to look at it.

Cheers
    Peter
  18. carmima

carmima All Orange :-)

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3 you bloody crack me up - the only thing that keeps me sane half the time :huh
  19. PomInOz

PomInOz Directions by Zen

Oddometer:
    A 10 year old and highly insecure browser that even MS don't want to support anymore. Can someone tell the IT dept where I work that!! :baldy

I'd not worry about it Peter. Develop an iPhone app instead. :wink:

(Rossco...I told him first this time!!) :rofl
  20. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey wow, this site is great! How come I never heard about it until now?!

There's only one ride in my area, and it's a biggie (cape york, 2600km's). So I won't be able to try that one out anytime soon... But I'd love to explore/add some one or two day rides.

I'm planning to do a ride in 3 weeks that would be perfect, but looks like I may have to cut out most of it due to flooding. Planning to do the real ride once a few river crossings open though.

Can you add a help section, explaining clearly what rides are welcome, and what aren't? I'm guessing my last two rides (a trail ride with some nasty creek crossings, and a simple cruise down the entire length of the bruce highway) are probably not suitable, but more specific guidelines would be great!

Also, if you need any help/advice/whatever with technical aspects of the site send me a PM. I'm a programmer with 10 years experience, the last 6 or so at the largest web development shop in this part of QLD, and I've also worked on a few iPhone apps recently. Most importantly I love riding and am a GPS geek.

Anything from design, to programming, to hosting... I can probably help out, or help you get in touch with someone. Don't have much free time, but this seems like a worthwhile project!