Trans Australia Trails - Share your GPS Tracks

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PeterWebtrax, Sep 24, 2010.

1. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like DSMRA's ride grades: https://www.dsmra.asn.au/grading_system.php

Perhaps you could contact them, and ask for permission to copy it.
  2. eRRmmm

eRRmmm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's going to be difficult to get it perfect whatever system you use. That DSMRA system looks ok, but it still doesn't give enough info. I can ride most trailbike tracks on the TDM, but I'd get into trouble in particularly steep or deeply rutted or rocky sections. Perhaps you could insist on bike model and tyre type in ride descriptions?

Another problem is the rating needs to cover the entire track, so while 95% might be easy dirt roads, if a section is deep sand etc it needs to be rated as harder. An easy clay road becomes difficult with some rain, an easy sand track after a rain becomes difficult when it's dry and soft. Encouraging good info in the ride description seems the best way. Links to ride reports are excellent.
  3. PeterWebtrax

PeterWebtrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the rating can only be a general advice. My classic example would be the Lorella Springs OCR, which was a 3000k doddle on nice dirt for most, followed by 30k of horror for many who weren't prepared for it, including me. That info needs to go into the description.

I might try putting some 'advice' type help messages next to the fields in the form to guide people in the right direction. I can't really force anyone to do anything. But, as admin, I do reserve the right to go in and modify info to my tastes if I feel disposed.

Also, some people are managing to put good info in the waypoints attached to the track. This displays when you click on the waypoint. I guess it depends on what software you have with the GPS and how easy it is to use.

I will probably go through the tags and do a severe cull on them soon. We don't really need town names etc in the tags as they can be found by searching on the description. I would like to make the tags specific to types of tracks, eg loops, day rides, cross Aus East West, cross Aus North South, etc.

Cheers
    Peter
  4. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Did he have the broken foot by then? -

Honestly he should write a book, amazing fellow.
  5. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    How does someone edit an existing track? I clicked "Edit tracks" but that takes me to a login form that doesn't seem to work (it keeps telling me i didn't fill in the password field).

Anyone who has ridden a track more recently than the guy who originally posted it, would have a more accurate idea of how difficult it is.
  6. mattherat

mattherat it was like that when i got here

Oddometer:
    this is a great idea, could be very useful :clap
  7. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Yes, we both had fractured ankles courtesy of little Suzie the ankle biter (DRZ). And only one compression bandage. Made for fun times (not) when paddling through the mud.
  8. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    Oops, that is the 'you got the password wrong' message. My bad. I can (probably) reset your password if you need me to.

Cheers
    Peter
  9. alexgg

alexgg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm I cant agree. I know many tracks that are very hard if not impossible on R1200GSA but not very difficult on my KLX250... I think that level of difficulty is directly related to the type of bike. I uploaded few tracks specifically mentioning type of bike and tires in the description.
  10. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure i typed it in right... but it works now. :huh

Anyway, question still stands - that page only shows my tracks (don't have any). How do I edit other people's tracks? If I do a ride someone else uploaded, there's a good chance I'll want to edit/improve the listing afterwards.
  11. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    At the moment you can't edit other people's tracks. It will only show yours. I wasn't thinking of allowing this, but open to others ideas on the matter. My general feeling is that the original poster should control the base information supplied rather than allowing a wikipedia style 'let anyone edit'.

I was thinking of adding a 'comment' function, so you could add your ideas to the original posters, without changing their info. This would allow others to keep the info up to date, eg for changed conditions, gates, etc.
  12. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    My experience is if you let people make edits, they usually contribute good stuff. And lots of people who post stuff once don't go back and maintain it later.

A good middle ground is the ability to suggest edits, which must be approved by either the original poster or an admin. But I think it's easier to just allow anyone to edit and have a history log that you can restore back to if someone vandal's the website.
  13. eRRmmm

eRRmmm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see your point, continuous improvement is a good thing, but I disagree that others should be able edit tracks that aren't theirs. If I post a track and it has my name on it I accept responsibility for what is in it (especially if there's a ride report attached to it). If someone edits it there is no longer accountability and it could end up a dog's breakfast IMHO.

If you want to edit a route, copy and edit it in Mapsource or whatever then post it as an alternate route for the same area. Then others can choose which track they use.

The ability to add comments to someone's track blog style might be useful as long as it wasn't abused. I know we're asking a lot but how about a rating system? So folks who ride a track can come back later and rate it out of (say) 5 stars. Then, (I know, more work, sorry :D) the ability to search for a ride in a particular area, and display ratings, would allow site users to select the best rated track, read the comments, and make an informed choice....
  14. Pilbara

Pilbara In the flow...

Oddometer:
    Can you all buy one of these please:D

Then we can share tracks and rides with ease and if someone would please organise the topo of Australia to be added to the unit that would also be greatly appreciated.

Then I can buy one.:deal:evil:rofl

Looks the part though dunit!

Cheers
    Pilbara
  15. PeterWebtrax

Oddometer:
    I'm in favour of the comments option as well at the moment, mainly cos it will be a lot easier to implement. The original software I used to base TAUT on was a photo album thing which had comments built-in, so I should be able to resurrect them fairly easily.

Ditto for ratings, should be able to do that as well for the same reason.

Cheers
    Peter
  16. APC Rally

APC Rally Banned

Oddometer:
    Could I suggest that route have the dates attached so when you are selecting a route you can use the latest one and then the moderators can do a stocktake once a year and flick the out of date ones.
    With building the Apc rally and doing a fair bit of riding over the years at different events I could help grade about 50% of the tracks so far because i have ridden them which could give the grading system a start point then other riders who have ridden the tracks I havent but have ridden some of the ones i have graded could apply the grading system.
    I think that all routes should be graded using a larger heavier bike with panniers full of gear as the bench mark.(fully unsupported adventure riding) This will mean that the grading is conservative. The dirt to bitumen % is a good quick reference as well.
    For example Urbenville one day ride 540 km 85%dirt level 4( Easy)
    Grade 1 easy
    Grade 5 intermediate
    Grade 10 extreme.
    Grade 1 is bitumen Grade 10 is the french line across the simpson.
    Some might think it strange that i want to help this project considering I am trying to make money from from the APC rally concept but i beleieve it will be my job to to improve on the routes and find new ones. This will be a great asset for riders along as the routes we submit are absolutely free of private property or areas we are not meant to be. If people are not sure they should not submit it.
  17. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    What about seasonal changes in ride difficulty? The cape is a piece of cake for half the year, and the other half you need a few mates to carry each bike through shoulder deep water.
  18. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
  19. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    is this still happening ??, got some good stuff from the site
  20. eRRmmm

eRRmmm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I reckon the folks who put the site together have done a great job, I've posted a couple of tracks there, but I just need to ride more with my GPS so I can contribute further.

It possibly needs more promotion, as for it to be really useful it needs more tracks in it. The more people using it the more tracks will get posted which will attract more users and so on....