Trans-Canada Solo Ride (Toronto - BC)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by rrbarna, Jun 9, 2006.

1. rrbarna

rrbarna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be finally leaving for my trans-Canada ride tomorrow with my KLR650 and have everything packed and ready to go except one thing...

I don't have a route planned once I get to Alberta/BC

Can you guys please send me link to websites with a nice list of routes, sights to see, must-do's, etc.... on or offroad.

I'm very busy at work and have no time for route planning.... I'll be doing that each night by doing research at internet cafe's whenever I can. I look forward to hearing from you guys and browsing the rest of the great site for suggestions including the ones I recently got in a separate thread.

Thanks,

Barna
  2. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    IMHO, part of the adventure is spontaneity. Just get on your bike and ride...the rest will take care of itself.
  3. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Get to the Roclkies, then start playing. SE BC is really nice, and has more road choices. If you've got gps, Canada Metroguide V3 or V4, no newer has a lot of the older roads which will suit your KLR. Alternately, Canadian Tire sells the Backroad Mapbook series, which covers BC and Ontario. Dunno if you'll find the BC book in a GTA store, but once you get west you should be able to get it. Very good books for messing around off the beaten paths.

Duffy Lake road will drop you down into Pemberton, nice ride. Think it starts near Ashcroft. Go into the archives here and search for Loadedpalooza. Rides that Loaded set up, and they posted map routes in those IIRC.
  4. TG6

TG6 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out http://www.dualsportbc.com for any rides out in BC. There are alot of riders from all over BC on there and you can get a wealth of info from them, no matter what area you want to ride in...
  5. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    But when you get just west of Thunder Bay, and see a turnoff to highway 11
    at Shabaqua, turn left on to Highway 11. Follow it to Atikokan, then
    take HWY 622 (may not be on your map) back to Highway 17, about 40 km out of Ignace. It's a MUCH nicer ride trust me!

PM me, let me know when you'll be near Dryden, I've got a camper you can crash in, and of course, the all important beer.
  6. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Stay off the Trans Canada and you'll see all the best stuff. From Calgary go either west on 1A to Canmore and points west or south on 22 to 3 west into BC. Go crazy from there. Try and stay off #1 as much as possible especially in summer. Too many tourists. SE BC is probably the best of the best. Creston to 3A north to Nelson on the free ferry. Awesome all over that area.
  7. rrbarna

rrbarna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info you guys - great stuff!!!

Keem 'em comming!

Cheers,

Barna
  8. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best route through BC (IMHO) east to west is Hwy 3 to Creston and north on 3A cross the ferry and head north to Kaslo and 31A to hwy 6 follow Hwy 6 to Nakusp and on to Vernon (DROOL) then go South to Kelowna (ho Hum) and west on 97c to Merrit (ho Hum) the #8 from Merrit to spences Bridge (one of my favorites) then South to Lyton and North to Lilloet where the Duffy lake road (MC heaven) will lead you into Pemberton, Whistler and . these are not dirt roads but are exceptional motorcycle roads.
    Just my $.02
    DD
  9. rrbarna

rrbarna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ZZR Ron,

Great Suggestion! Nice road, but I was crappin my pants when I realized even if I do get back on 17 there won't be a gas station for at least 70km. I started riding slow for the last 150km @ 90kph steady to conserve gas... it paid off bigtime as I got to enjoy the scenerey more and most importantly, got to the nearest gas just as the engine started sputtering on reserve!!! :clap

I'm in Winnipeg, MB now... don't know where I'll end up tonight. The weather's been co-operative so far so I'll probably stake up the tent again tonight.

Cheers,

Barna
  10. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Damn! I think I saw you on the Trans-Canada, between Ignace and Dryden.

Red KLR on Saturday right??
  11. rrbarna

rrbarna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's Me!! :)
  12. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
  13. maplebar

maplebar soft, doughy, sweet

Oddometer:
    In Moose Jaw, SK right now, heading to Regina tonight. It would be cool to meet up, I'll be rolling into Manitoba tomorrow (Thursday). I'm camping, you?

My favorite road in BC was the road up Harrison Lake/the Lillooet River. Plenty of dirt and rocks, and hot springs halfway through to soak (Skookumchuck Hot Springs)..see previous posting for more info, I don't have a map in front of me. Basically you follow Harrison Lake from the South (gas up first) for about 100 miles of mud and dirt, then you hit Mt. Currie (gas again) which will link you with Hwy 99 back to Whistler/Vancouver.

There are also lots of nice logging roads on Vancouver Island. Get a current Forestry services map somewhere...I can give you mine if we meet up. You on Hwy 1?
  14. road2blue

road2blue road2blue

Oddometer:
    CLOSE but no cigar. For sure take the southern route through Alberta....At Medicine Hat, head toward Lethbridge. Stay on Hwy 3 through the crowsnest pass....at Cranbrook, head out toward Kimberley and find the Gray Creek Pass to shoot you across the mountains and pop out at Kootenay Bay...from there head south into Nelson or North toward Nakusp....Nelson is a good stop which should not be missed then back track north to Nakusp, across to Needles and through Kelowna....an excellent trip! good luck.

Grey Creek PAss is impassable with a car, rough in a 4X4 and fantastic on a motorcyle - I did it a few years ago with a loaded R100GSPD.
  15. rrbarna

rrbarna Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. 1200GSCanuck

1200GSCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    enjoyed them totally, reminded me of trips I've done out that way a few years back. my favourite shot is the first Picher Creek train foto...very cool. Must suck to be back in Trawna