1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Trans canada trip

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Scottylechien, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Scottylechien

Scottylechien n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi! New to this forum, I am looking to come all the way from Quebec to British Columbia for my vacation (I will do a covid test before I go). As you can guess, I'm not familiar with any of your roads and am looking for recommendation especially for sporty roads in British Columbia or Alberta since I don't think I'll find any in Saskatchewan.

Thank you!
  2. vanbeekbrett

vanbeekbrett Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am mid trip in BC right now, from Sask. Definitely not a ton in terms of sporty roads in SK. I drove through AB no advice here for that province. But our route in BC has taken us on some incredible twisties. We started in Vancouver, 99 north to Cache Creek (Pemberton-Cache Creek section was the best of it), then from Cache Creek 97C to Kelowna through Merritt, then north to Vernon and onto 6 through Lumby, Nakusp and to New Denver where you can get on 31A which is known as one of the best. We then went up to Revelstoke on 31 through trout lake but that is a lot of dirt so you may have to go another way. We rode a couple dirt days after that as well. If you can handle some dirt I recommend going Lillooet to Gold bridge on Carpenter Lake Road, has some of the best twisties but does require a couple sections of well maintained gravel roads to get to. And you have to ride back on the same road if you don’t want to do the mountain gravel pass.
    shuswap1 and Scottylechien like this.
  3. vanbeekbrett

vanbeekbrett Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also if you get to the island, Campbell River to Gold River on 28 is a great ride, excellent roadhouse in Gold River as well.
    Scottylechien likes this.
  4. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
  5. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A road not many people take about is the one to Mica Dam from Revelstoke. Out and back, but good pavement, turns and scenery. No fuel up there so plan for that.
    Scottylechien and shuswap1 like this.
  6. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want a sporty road in Alberta you keep riding until you get to BC.

Basically, once you get out of Ontario the Transcanada is boring as fuck. It’s all straight lines and It bypasses pretty much everything. Might be interesting if you’ve never seen it before, but once you’ve seen it...
    HatesSnow and shuswap1 like this.
  7. kirbybikes

kirbybikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Typical Southern Alberta twisties
    IMG_1458.JPG
    Lornce likes this.
  9. vanbeekbrett

vanbeekbrett Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Make time to go through Drumheller on your way through AB. Cool town hiding in a valley in the badlands, dinosaur statues everywhere and a really good Dino museum.
    Night_Wolf and Scottylechien like this.
  10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I'll say take the loop road back to your house and say home. Save the trek for another year.
  11. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out the Cassiar Highway in BC. Actually any highway in BC has amazing scenery.
  12. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Not everyone appreciates the prairies, but I do.
    They have the biggest skies anywhere in Canada - horizon in every direction - you can see down the road forever.
    @Lornce did an excellent ride report a bunch of years ago, worth a look.
    I'm thinking next year will be a cross Canada ride to stay in-country another season.
    Baja and Utah and Portugal and Spain and Australia will still be there in 2022.
    MGV8 and Scottylechien like this.
  13. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    In Alberta, once you are West Of Calgary there are plenty of twisty, Highway 40 over Highwood Pass (highest paved road in Canada) is a beautiful twisty ride. Route 66 to Elbow Falls close to Bragg Creek is pretty spectacular. If you want to keep going the end of Route 66 has Powderface Trail a gravel road that continues West. Been so long that I traveled it, I'm not sure where it dumps you out. One way (left) puts you on Highway 40 & I can't remember where heading right leads. I stopped riding gravel after I tossed my Wee Strom down the gravel, IIRC when we turned right
    MGV8 likes this.
  14. Scottylechien

Scottylechien n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your input!