Trans Euro Trail (TET) thread

Discussion in 'Europe' started by davidlomax, Jul 19, 2017.

1. morse

morse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Supergood answer. It sure does seem very nice country and if we decide to ride there, I will contact you with more questions.

My hope is that someone from the northern part of Balkans speaks up here and I find out that there IS some country closer to us, where it is possible to ride TET in the end of March.

Initially we planned to take a van and have the bikes in the back. It means first night will be in Warsaw (or somewhere in Poland) and the second evening we would like to be in the starting point and unload the bikes. It is 1900km from Warsaw to Krystallopigi, Greece - this is too much (and your suggestion was to start from the center not even Krystallopigi, which is in the north). In this case it would be better to send the bikes ahead and take a plane - which is also a possibility.
    plumer1kt likes this.
  2. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Col de la Boaire
    Part of the Via del Sale (Ligurian Border Ridge Road) about 5miles east of Fort Central/ Col de Tende. https://isn.page.link/sF6Y

All local info here.
    http://www.limoneturismo.it/pagina.php?id=76&lang=eng
    Capped to 140? bikes per day through the season.
    Not as clogged up as the Stelvio...but getting there :-)
    Fine to ride on pretty much any bike incl. heavy tourers by a practiced hand nowadays, like the Assietta.
  3. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  4. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheers.

Things were pretty bloody rough up there on the BiancoBlue R/RT1100's in 2007, hehe.
    Back then there were maybe 20bikes/ week on it through peak season, no tolls, not even winter closures, boom gates/ signs/ etc

Huge improvement after the local community took an interest in maintaining/ upgrading the road as a tourist-attraction and limited traffic to certain numbers
    which makes it somewhat "exclusive-attractive" nowadays.
    There are some excellent side-routes and extensions to "The Sale" which are getting increasingly regulated and closed off for MTB/walkers etc,
    leading to more old fortifications, bunkers and in-ground concreted and brickwork water-cisterns.

The toll booths were up in '13 and we saw FJ1200's/ ST1300s/R+K1200 dress-tourers and nakid roadies/ 883Sporties up there...not really enjoyable I imagine, but do-able with a lot of care (and time on your hands).

If your knees and wrists can take standing on the pegs for a couple of hours or so, it's a fantastic corner of the Med-Alps to experience.
    Chuck in some fabulous lead-ins on the Italian side (sealed single-laners) and the breathtaking descent into Casterino (gravel) from Fort Central and there's some edge-of-the-seat ADV-touring to be had.

While it lasts.
    DantesDame and DunkingBird like this.
  5. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Baby GS has wider footpegs and bar risers. Standing up is much more comfortable now.

Not sure just how much longer I'll last - so it's a race.

Seriously considering shipping the Baby GS to Stefan's in a few months. It's not a great bike for distances for me - maybe 500-600 kms/day and I want off for a bit, but considering what my daily averages are over there on the roads that I like, it shouldn't be an issue. I need to make a decision soon.
  6. Koen

Koen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did the my first bit of Holland today, starting at the border of Belgium. Absolutely fantastic! Lots of mud (bit hard on the KTM for me), farmers have been on the fields so the roads can be a bit of a swap. Also nice sandy roads. Some even deep sand.

20191102_151504.jpg
    boboneleg, Hockley Boy, NSFW and 6 others like this.
  7. h0lger

h0lger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We established that Romania isn't the best option in late March... but how about Croatia?
    Same people and same bikes.

And would any of these trails be accessible?
    https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/enduro/croatia

Cheers!
  8. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Depending on part of Croatia it can be good already.
    I mean down in Dalmatia and around the sea should be spring already. More inland around Plitvice expect melting snow and mud.
    h0lger likes this.
  9. h0lger

h0lger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Mud is good, we’re not afraid of getting dirty :)
  10. miniboxer

miniboxer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TET homepage seems to be down for a few days now, or am I the only one with this problem?
  11. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, some troubles with website, should be up and running soon though
  12. Simonhantler

Simonhantler waiheke simon

Oddometer:
    Kiwi thinking of coming over each -( our winter) to do do a 2 month section of the TET for 2 - 3 seasons. Does that make sense. Anyway need some info if poss.
    If I start in UK where to look for good used ktm exc500 or similar?
    Any ideas of which are best countries of TET to do?
    Cheers for any help
    MotoSly and dooby like this.
  13. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    DantesDame and dooby like this.
  14. MotoSly

MotoSly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't know where to get the KTM in england. you can always try Germany and Austria....
    But i would reckon the pyrenees and alps as great offroad routes!
    Than if you go to the southern east part of Europe you won't be dissapointed!
    but those are the best parts from the TET.

And if you wanna go north... well, Norway is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L-L!!
    dooby likes this.
  15. dooby

dooby aka Frgich; www.lobagola.com

Oddometer:
    Best areas if you like remote riding with vistas and culture when you wish to be immersed would be Portugal, Spain, Corsica and the Balkans.

We can provide purchase of desired KTM exc 500 on Croatian/EU plates for non EU resident.

I'm the linesman for Croatia if you need more info for this area or logistics support in the Balkans.

You can check my signature for more info or PM me.

Cheers
    Dooby
    glitch_oz and DunkingBird like this.
  16. Aa Ell

Aa Ell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Short stretch of TET Latvia

dooby and DunkingBird like this.
  17. arescec

arescec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone here doing TET Italy or TET Romania when the weather gets better? I will be running on my Transalp 600. Have not planned anything and I am not time constrained so all combinations are possible.
  18. amboss87

amboss87 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I plan to take my new T700 on the Slovenian and Croatian TET the oncoming spring. Is it a good ride in late march already or sould I wait until April?
  19. arescec

arescec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would wait until April at least. You could do Croatia most pretty much any time of the year as it is gravel roads BUT the Velebit section (about 50kms which are arguably the most beautiful) is at around 1200m above sea and notorious for snow. I had to turn around mid April last year because of around 30cms of densely packed snow.
    theailer, DRglidarn and amboss87 like this.
  20. Hoschiyama

Hoschiyama Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be in Rijeka last wekend of March anyway and was thinking of taking my 701 with me and spent a few miles on the TET-Croatia.
    Did already get in touch with the Dubrakov, Linesman for Croatia, and he mentioned that if the winter will stay as mild as it is at the moment, it should be fine. Will monitor the weahter situation and make decision in March.
    dooby likes this.