Trans Euro Trail (TET) thread

Discussion in 'Europe' started by davidlomax, Jul 19, 2017.

1. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shopping from Adventure-Spec is problem free and their service is second to none! Great stuff....
    Dutchgit likes this.
  2. kleinton

kleinton n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello you all. First, big thanks to TET Crew, they do an amazing jog! THANKS

This summer I am doing East part of France and Italy too. But I have seen too many km of tarmac road. I have asked Mr. Italy Linesman and he kindly told me there is no much alternative, but I´d also like to ask you people if you know about offroad shorcuts. Any help please? I am moving in a enduro bike, that is the reason... THANKS TO YOU ALL

[​IMG]
  3. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    dooby likes this.
  4. kleinton

kleinton n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ard, I´ll ask there too.
    Dutchgit likes this.
  5. DunkingBird

DunkingBird Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last summer I drove a big part of TET italy (Nice to Lake Garda) with an old Africa Twin (XRV 650). I really liked the variety of the terrain. Even an experienced offroad driver will find some challenges. Some places are far away from civilization, so I recommend to take this route in company.

plumer1kt and Poka like this.
  6. KLEINTONE

KLEINTONE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear friend, thanks a lot for your advices, ´cos I a riding alone... I´ll take care and will use a Spot GPS for security.
  7. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi @kleinton and welcome!
    As far as i understand from the Greece TET ,that i have done most of it (separate rides over the past) the TET must
    -be followed from riders passing through the country
    -have an entrance to the country and an exit
    -pass you through sights of the country (archaeological ,culture ,landscape etc.)
    -pass you from places that you can find easy accommodation (hotel-hostel-camping etc.)
    -all of these in one continuous track.
    It is not easy to accomplish the above without pass over asphalt.
    I believe that the linesmen did a very good job to this (at least in greece ) and any suggested alternatives won't be for more off road riding but to improve the TET concept , to show the beauties of all europe countries through the eyes of an adventurer!
    Yes,maybe it is possible to ride from waypoint A to waypoint B of the TET (in greece) doing almost off-road but this is going to spoil all of the TET concept.
    And that will not be a TRANS EURO TRAIL any more .
    See this
    Screenshot_2019-03-27_18-23-55.png
    In orange is the TET,in green is a track i did.
    In this track i'm not passing through the country nor seeking for beaches or sights.
    Purpose was to do as much off road as possible.And that track has more than 30% asphalt!
    From a mountain to another i had to pass from asphalt just because there was no other way!
    The same to find accommodation,food , gas etc.
    But that track could never be as a part of the greece TET.
    Bottom line...i don't know about the italy route, but don't seek answers from tet linesmen (producers) or tet riders (followers).Plan your route using the TET off road sections and answers from local riders.Probably the route will be full of loops and/or crossing paths but it will include more off road riding.
    And don't forget what @DunkingBird advised.
    Cheers
    Quietus and DunkingBird like this.
  8. KLEINTONE

KLEINTONE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear friend thanks for your comments. Yes I spoke to IT linesmen and he explained me that. So, considering what TET is, I am using it just as a source, always thanking thr great effort that this people is doing. So, despite what TET is, I´d love to do more offroad, even losing special places of Europe.
    Thanks alot for your advices. I hope I can ride at your super beautiful country one day.
    If you eventually need something from Spain, or particularry Granada, please I´d love to help in anything I can.
    plumer1kt and Dutchgit like this.
  9. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll keep that in mind!Thanks!
    A TET ride between the two southernmost points of europe (mariner please add cape matapan in the TET) will be one hell of a ride!
    And if you ever come here ,just give me a buzz.:beer
  10. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Few pictures from scouting absolutely new section in Ukraine (on the north)
    IMG_3129.jpg IMG_3130.jpg IMG_3135.jpg
    Mountain section in Carpathians (that connects Poland and Romania) will be rerouted in early June
  11. tshansen

Oddometer:
    I'm starting my own TET adventure in early may... Try to finnish all the scandinavian countries this year, so i can plan a longer trip when i start on the far away countries in europe. Hope to complete it all in the next 5 years :-)
    DunkingBird, dooby and bigboyxl like this.
  12. DunkingBird

Oddometer:
    After driving a large part of the TET Italy last summer, I visited together with my offroad buddy a small part of the TET France last week. The section is about 600 km between Clermont-Ferrand and Paris and consists mainly of huge agricultural areas. Although this part of France is sparsely populated and can be driven on quickly, I liked it very much.
    After the start on the first part was finished faster than expected, there were delays on the second day.

In the morning my rear tyre was flat. We travelled with the help of a hand pump to the nearest motorcycle mechanic, who did not open until 10 o'clock.
    I know, a real TET adventurer repairs his tubes himself :ksteve

upload_2019-4-23_17-30-18.png

After 20 km my rear tire was already flat again. This time the hole was so big that I had to transport the wheel to the mechanic. A small metal pin had worked its way through the tire and went unnoticed during the first repair. Since the mechanic has a lunch break from 12 - 14 o'clock, I took a little nap :snore

The weather was perfect during the whole trip. Of course we practiced at one or the other mud passage.

upload_2019-4-23_17-44-21.png

upload_2019-4-23_17-47-56.png

A place for wild camping was always easy to find.
    upload_2019-4-23_17-51-14.png
    Here even with a small reservoir and several waterfalls.

Something puzzled us. Although the weather couldn't have been better and we drove against the direction indicated by TET, we didn't meet a single TET adventurer. We also noticed this last year in Italy.
  13. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    The direction indicated is nothing more than a direction. This is unavoidable in Garmin tracks.

The season for more people out on the TET hasn't really started yet I think but the other thing is, There are many people who want to ride the TET but in reality, not that many do. This depends on the country itself, it's size and if there are more or less adventure riders per 1000 inhabitants of that particular country.

I heard the TET in the Netherlands can be reasonably busy. There are many riders there, and the country is very small while "off-road" riding possibilities are severely limited.

Good to see you are enjoying it !
    Herman1, Schussboelie and DunkingBird like this.
  14. tshansen

Oddometer:
    A lot of people have never heard of TET yet. Some of us try to do something abut that :p I'm going over to Denmark the 12 of may, and gonna do the TET DK before I continue over to the Swedish TET a couple of days later. Not sure how much of it I manage to do in one run (my be snow still in the north)

Are you running with mitas e-07 on this France trip? How was that? would you change to a more aggressive tire if you had to do it again?
    DunkingBird likes this.
  15. theailer

theailer xr650r 2002

Oddometer:
    The TET in South of Sweden (Skåne) barely contain any gravel roads unfortunately. But if you want gravel go to Häckeberga.
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/gsNLnZLUzdvZUtoy

Video proof
    World Traveler and tshansen like this.
  16. DunkingBird

Oddometer:
    Tshansen, you're right, on this trip I ride the Mitas e-07 on both wheels. It's my standard choice in the back. At the front it convinces me a little less, because the lateral grip should be better and I often change the product (Continental TKC 80 Twinduro ...). Although the rear tyre was worn out, it was also sufficient in the mud thanks to the lateral pimples. But if the weather forecast had been worse, I would have changed to a new Mitas. So I would repeat this trip at any time with the Mitas. This is especially true as TET only made up a small part of the 2200 km.
    The rest of the trip I planned with kurviger.de and worked excellently.

upload_2019-4-28_8-46-50.png

I keep my fingers crossed that you have the same luck with the weather as we did.

tshansen likes this.
  17. tshansen

Oddometer:
    I always run the tkc80 in front on my KTM 690 Enduro R, but I don't like the milage on the tkc80 rear, so I will try to switch between the mitas e-07 rear and Motoz Tractionator Adventure rear. It sounds like I can do a lot of the TET around Europe with the Mitas Rear and tkc80 front combo :-)
    Dutchgit and DunkingBird like this.
  18. Pcq

Pcq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also only crossed 2 fellow riders that were following parts of the TET, really nice guys though
    And I did say hello to hundreds of goats, cows and pigs, birds and bees, people on mopeds, children and older folk walking alone ... always a smile ... long live the TET !!
    Dutchgit and DunkingBird like this.
  19. Dutchgit

Oddometer:
    You could try the Mitas 644 XT at the front. It's what I use year round in all weather including snow and rain etc.
    It's only rated for 130 km/h but I don't care. I have ran these for a number of years now together with the E 07 rear and I'm very happy with both.
    tshansen likes this.
  20. tshansen

Oddometer:
    I will look into this, thank you for the tip :-D what milage do you get out of one of these in front?