1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

TRANS FLORIDA GS RALLY II March 8th, 9th 2014

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by kaosrider, Jan 1, 2014.

1. kaosrider

kaosrider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of all people, we all "know" you don't need no stinking bridge. :D

There is an extra 10 points for doing the water crossing :1drink :lol3
  2. sfront

sfront Chaos in Motion

Oddometer:
    So say someone were to start on Friday in CK, collect game objectives on the way to PC,
    ride back to CK on Saturday, and then back to PC on Sunday......
    Are his total points for all three days counted??? Just asking.....
    :evil
  3. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Oh now we are talking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only 1 way toll now. Just going to a1a. But, if route goes south, I know a way sans toll if challenge requires a1a passage.

Loving the start location since it's 2 miles from my parents place.
  5. kaosrider

Oddometer:
    That is an easy YES. We will have a separate award for those that complete all three days. :clap
  6. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    See you in Cedar Key :freaky

Schedule dependent I am in :wings
  7. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    IN! :clap
  8. motomike14

Oddometer:
    If yer thinking about ending around the Palm Coast area, would recommend "High Jackers" on state road 100, just 2 miles east of 95 (one exit south of Palm Coast). Local business with lots o' food and alcohol, and a "group area" in the back. Just sayin'...
  9. TN3Sport

TN3Sport East TN DS Rider

Oddometer:
    Thinking about coming down from Tennessee and doing this rally. Would be my first rally. Working on logistics and likely staying in St. Augustine. Then riding down Saturday morning on my XR650L.

Will there be an exact start location announced for the rider meeting on Saturday, March 8? So far, I've seen reference to intersections, Walmart, the beach, etc.
  10. motomike14

Oddometer:
    The decision was made for Palm Coast. That's about 30-35 minutes south of St. Augustine. Several gas stations along Palm Coast parkway near the Walmart. All of these are just west of 95 (less than a mile).
  11. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Good suggestion Mike thanks, been there a few times. Got a few other options to look at too.
  12. Bulitt

Bulitt Flori-duh Man

Oddometer:
    I'm in!

just bought a used Vstrom and will tag along with the D group...sounds like a hoot!
  13. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:
    :clap

Sounds like my little D group is growing!! :lol3
  14. Bulitt

Bulitt Flori-duh Man

Oddometer:
    Is "D" group .....vintage bikes, or big bike slow guys.......or old slow guys on small bikes ......or some combination of the above?
  15. kaosrider

Oddometer:
    Here is a little explanation, points will be scored by each rider that accomplishes the tasks given to you on the route sheet. These tasks are mostly taking pictures. You will need a camera or a phone that can take pictures. This is also how we will verify that you earned the points.

Each of the following categories will be scored for the "trophies". Class D is for old bikes and those brave enough to travel on them. It is not a Class based on rider abilities. Each rider will have a route sheet and can make their own way. That said, we encourage folks to band together with similar riding styles for safety purposes. (Safety in numbers)

Class A 800+

Class B 550-750

Class C 250-549

Class D Classic (Older than 1995)

The actual starting area will be announced soon, we just want to ride by there and make sure the place we select will have no issues. Current "target" is the Shell Station at the Palm Coast Parkway and I-95.

There will be 2 routes. The Big Bike Route and the Small Bike Route. Any of the classes can ride either route. You can score more points on the small bike route. However, as an example if you are new to off road riding and are riding a WR250, it is my recommendation to ride the Big Bike Route. That route is intend to be less sandy and much easier than the Small bike route as it is intended for Big Bikes. The Small bike route has sections that would be very difficult for a KLR 650.

So to sum up, if are new and are looking for an enjoyable weekend, you should chose the Big Bike Route. If you are an x-enduro racer or hare scramble type looking for some real challenges and want to really push that GS, then you can take the Small Bike Route.

If you do not have knobbies, take the Big Bike Route. The Small Bike Route goes through Ocala. (For those unfamiliar with Florida, the word Ocala is an ancient word meaning Very, very deep sand :D)

Cheers :freaky
  16. roadking99

roadking99 semper fi aka The Big Rooster

Oddometer:
    Which Route will you be taking? :huh:wink:
  17. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Fixed it for you :deal
  18. woodsatyr

woodsatyr Kitty Boy

Oddometer:

The "D" group is what I made up for myself. Everyone else is "A" group - really fast guys who will ride straight up walls for fun. I'm an old slow broad who always ends up being the last one. So I dubbed myself the "D" group. You're welcome to join. :D
  19. Bulitt

Bulitt Flori-duh Man

Oddometer:
    OK, we will see. Based on the explanation above, I think I will take the big bike route and roll as fast as feels comfortable given the terrain.

I have ridden my entire life and did a lot of off road stuff as a kid but I am now a young 56 and haven't been off road in years other than gravel roads in the Yukon. I have ZERO sand experience with a litre size bike. At this point in life, falling off my bike is a whole lot less fun than it used to be.

But ......I'm in!
  20. Kyle B

Kyle B "Dirty Jobs"

Oddometer:
    Lost in the hills of SW VA/ Winter in SW Florida
    Will there bed a "Torque" Group running GS bikes?

I'll be in there ^.