1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Trans-Florida Loops - West, East, North Central (Brainstorming Concept)

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by salty_dog, Nov 6, 2018.

1. salty_dog

salty_dog Day trips around TLH, WMAs and South Ga dirt roads

Oddometer:
    Having been a part of this ADV community for the last 18 months and really liking loop trails, I began penciling some ideas to create some adventure loops like other states and regions have. I live in Tallahassee and I think North Florida has some great areas to explore. I know I cannot do this alone so I wanted to see if there was interest in creating one or more loops that could become a "destination ride" for many in our state or region.

In case folks do not want to advertise these cool areas I will be brief today, however I have several must see roads and areas for each loop I think the ADV community would appreciate being able to ride.

East Loop - Start and end in Monticello, east through plantations and countryside to Ocean Pond, south and west down to Dixie Mainline, hit some nice roads in WMAs back to Monticello

West Loop - Blackwater, east to Florala, havana, plantations, WMAs near Tallahassee, carrabelle, tates hell, ANF, blountstown back to blackwater

North Central Loop - Goethe, Suwanee, Dixiemainline, Mallory, Branford, High Springs, Lake Butler, Belmore, Goldhead, Ocala, Withlacochee, Ozello, Goethe

Because these are loops you can start or stop where ever you want.

This is just an idea. Looking for positive or negative feedback. - Salty_dog
  2. BillyGoat4130

BillyGoat4130 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love it...I keep several different Google maps of roads in the north central area and some westward ones around the Monticello also. I agree that the areas have some awesome roads and opportunities to ride. I can share a lot in the Live Oak, Jasper, Jennings, Madison, Pinetta, Greenville areas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Silverballs and Larry321 like this.
  3. salty_dog

Oddometer:
    Great cause that is an area I do not have experience. This could be a fun group effort and someday turn into a fun group ride. We each have areas we are more familiar with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Larry321 likes this.
  4. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like it :nod
    hansrober likes this.
  5. BillyGoat4130

BillyGoat4130 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    what kind of mileage (or ride time) would you call good on a day loop? I don't mind being out for 8 hours at a time but tastes vary...
  6. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Pretty much anything he mentioned above could be done in 8 hours depending on the number of smoke breaks, and how long you linger over you’re lunch
    Chicken Helmet likes this.
  7. salty_dog

Oddometer:
    I pictured these loops to almost be something like an sm500 in that it is a destination ride. Having an overnight in a town with camping, motel or bnb would allow the loop to fit “one more” cool thing to see while we are on that area.

Maybe we could have some shortcut legs to easily allow a day trip. The west loop is too long for a day trip but I love the Blackwater area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I’m headed that way on Friday myself. Probably the route I’ll take from Crawfordville to Adventure Motorsports for service and mods
    3C81A78A-7469-4E82-ADAB-1E60FEE68701.png

That route, if turned into a coastal route back could be done in about 9 hours. I’ve done it in less on my 06 GS but I was haulin the mail:nod
    Silverballs and Flashdog like this.
  9. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Someone needs a dictionary.
  10. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    If turned into a coastal route back makes it a LOOP last I checked
  11. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    It's not the LOOP part I'm referring to, it's the Trans. I like the idea, a lot. I'm just suggesting the definition needs work. The Trans-Continental RR didn't go in a circle.
  12. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    I have a route that I've been putting together for a while that will take you from Homstead Fl to Madison FL where it meets with the SEAT loop. It's a good mix of sandy trails, dirt roads and twisty paved roads. Lot's of POIs with lodging and food suggestions and bypass routes for big bikes as well as scenic options.

I call it the Florida Adventure Trail (FL.A.T.). :D
    Silverballs, seatec, Sharkguy and 6 others like this.
  13. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    FL.A.T. Loop - sounds like nascar.... Oh no a right hander:fpalm

Just kidding.... We all know how bad the suckage is south of Otown.
  14. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

Haha. Tip to tip through Florida without ever turning right! :D

It's not a loop, it's end to end touching as little pavement as possible.

Definitely nothing to see south of Otown. :augie

IMG_20171119_103557_281.jpg

IMG_20170511_074409_585.jpg
  15. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hmmm, the ever elusive , mystical trans Florida N to S route loop??? The X-FL goes East to West, and the Big Bend Loop covers the Panhandle and the FL part of the S.E.A.T....Seems most of Northern FL is covered but that long stretch from South FL (tip of the Keys) to North of Orlando is not well mapped. Seems the Sebring area has some good roads then the choice go West of Orlando or the East side. I live on the East side (Melbourne Beach) and here is not much unless you like riding 35-40 mph next to the Intra Coastal Waterway (nice River view on scenic roads with some dirt thrown in). I can get you through Brevard on all the good roads, dirt , sand, river view roads , Ocean view roads , with POI. etc. ... Then I guess around Titusville to Space Center to Canaveral National Seashore to Mayfield to Osteen and onward North...but again, would the West side of Orlando be better? Ginger Beard , would you share the F.L.A.T route? If you went East side of O-Town I could help proof it as so many roads are gated up here. Would be cool to go down one side of the state (West Side) and back up the other side (East Coast) the "Escape Winter" Loop...

Attached Files:

Silverballs and Ginger Beard like this.
  16. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone want to link some of these up and do a trans Fl ride from Pensacola to Homestead?

I'd sure as hell would like to.
    Buzztail and roadking99 like this.
  17. pro69ss

pro69ss Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would be great to have an off road map all the way around Fl
    East and west sides, State line to Marco Island to Homestead to state line ( Al, Ga )

I’m in St Pete and haven’t been off road anywhere in Florida yet . So no help in giving routes , willing to go out scouting with anyone . From Va and just getting back into off road after a 5 year break.
    Silverballs likes this.
  18. salty_dog

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds as though there is interest in seeing something like this put together. I agree with the suggestion that I should not have used the term "trans" as this is a loop. I am still new at this. I am glad that my post was still understood by many interested folks in our forum.

Possible Next Step: For those that are interested in talking through the possible loops, can't miss roads, WMAs and state forests do you think we should use a particular tool like a shareable Google drive folder to share ideas, possible routes, consolidate tracks to release one or more loops to our community? I am pretty tech oriented but can't claim to know all the tools people can share ideas in. I hope we can create a set of loops that are planned by a number of riders in the Southeast. All riders are welcome to join and help work in creating these loops.

I am seeking ideas into best next steps for those that want to collaborate, share and build something others will be anxious to ride.
    Ginger Beard and Buzztail like this.
  19. pro69ss

pro69ss Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    OsmAnd Maps ?
  20. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    Panhandle options have been gpx'd & shared for 10 years. Madhouse, Treeman, & Scott did the early legwork, i just updated (and rode it) as drawing tools got better & transfer to Garmin units became bulletproof.

My experience: depending on skill level of team & 2-track Dirt miles, 200-250 miles per day is max realistic, and that's not stopping much. Min smoke/pix/fail breaks etc

Bias the ride more/moar to tar & you can cover more ground. I'm not that guy :D
    Silverballs likes this.