Trans-Florida Loops - West, East, North Central (Brainstorming Concept)

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by salty_dog, Nov 6, 2018.

1. ctoldie

ctoldie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any chance of also having a route sheet format for those of us that don't have a garmin for their bike?
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    I can share it but it's not perfected as of yet. I have the navigable routes chopped up into sub 50 via point sections for my personal GPS. That may be a pain for some users. The FL.A.T. is pieced together from routes that I've ridden over the years but the northern end may need revision due to closures, changes in road surface, etc. I did my best to not overlap routes designed by other riders. As well, this is meant to be an enjoyable route for those of us that enjoy riding in Florida so it isn't a direct and speedy route from end to end. It's meant to take several days and be a mini vacation type of ride, not a day loop so I'll start a thread for the FL.A.T. to not detract from what salty dog is trying to do.
    rider1150gsadv and Buzztail like this.
  3. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree not to take over this thread which is more of day loops, the F.L.A.T. sounds like a unicorn route, many miles on pavement to get to good dirt or just good paved backroads...I have to ask does your route go East side of Orlando or West side? Sorry Salty_DOg back to your original idea...looking forward to the F.L.A.T. post.
    AS for this thread we have a decent loop for South Brevard:
    1. Head down South A1A (ocean road) in Melbourne Beach to Jungle Trail (fun dirt road right by the river) too bad Jungle road is so short it is really fun.
    2. Cross the bridge to the mainland and back North on US 1 to left on Valkaria rd.
    3. Take the right across from the firestation, onto Henderson road and a left on Leg Horn (all dirt), Look for the hidden road that connects to Ponderossa; it goes behind houses but is legal (Valley rd -google maps). Go right on Ponderossa.
    4. Go Right through the trail head sign (no thru vechicles) and ride that trail to up to Benjamin turn left on Benjamin.
    5. Then look quickly for the entry to the North Trail on the right which is fun dirt all the way to Marie street...Back on Pavement (Malabar Road) go right to Malabar Moes for food/drinks (a biker bar that is cool w/ Enduros, you will get respect because you will come in sweaty, dirty, off the trail, with a muddy bike, and most will talk about their first 2-stroke back in the day and will buy you beers)...then up US1 over the bridge back to the beach. total time about 3.5 hours, plus 2 at the bar..
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  4. ctoldie

ctoldie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really appreciate you listing the road names.
  5. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Way West of Orlando. Tried to go east but it's too congested and has little dirt access. This is Florida. Any way you slice it there is going to be road riding. It's an Adventure type route, not a dedicated dual sport route but there are quite a few sections where if you're not on a DS, you're going to have a hard time. Not quite a unicorn route as that's just not possible legally. More of a donkey with a lump on it's head. :lol3
    jaydee1445 likes this.
  6. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    My brother and I have been trying to find a few dirt patches but other than the levee's south of Lake O' it pretty much blows...
    Sadly a few dirt roads are only partially accessible as some are "private" roads even though they are named and numbered. I wonder about the legality of that btw.
    Something to find out on county or state level?? Can people privatize a public road? :scratch
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  7. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    With adequate firepower sure.
  8. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    :gun1Bring it on.. :lol3
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  9. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    People throw up no trespassing signs or even a gate and unless it is reported to LE nothing happens. If its way out in the boonies chances that anyone will report it are nil.
  10. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Perhaps I’ll stir the pot a bit as it would be cool to get from US 27 to Immokalee by ways of some dirt roads...:amazon
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

There's no legal pot to stir between 8th st and Holyland. :lol3
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  12. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    :photog
  13. BillyGoat4130

BillyGoat4130 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is my first foray into exporting a route in anything besides google mymaps - does this attachment work for any of you guys? I need to a ride a few of these still (very few) but this should be a really nice 75-80% dirt route from Monticello to Live Oak that wraps around a lot of stuff and areas.

I uploaded a couple versions, let me know which one works best?

I think I can make another one from LO back to Monticello mostly south of I10 and US90 also that could be a return trip the following day, or something. This one is about 200 miles and says about 8'ish hours...

https://kurv.gr/KkXoM

Attached Files:

jaydee1445 likes this.
  14. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    95D7F93D-05D4-4B5E-9F5B-0014A2D37060.png This looks like it.
  15. BillyGoat4130

Oddometer:
    Sweet. I'll ride the sections I've not already been on before in the next week or two and report back if any changes are necessary.
  16. ctoldie

ctoldie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    kurv.gr works for me. Looking forward to updates after your followup ride.
  17. BillyGoat4130

Oddometer:
    Something else you guys may find useful when planning a ride in the state, and in unfamiliar counties and areas, are these maps from the Florida DOT. They're pretty accurate and they show some POI and things on them that you don't even see online a lot of time. My favorite part is looking at the denoting for the bridges and seeing how podunk they wind up being when I get to them in person.... :)

Link: http://www.fdot.gov/geospatial/countymap.shtm

Example;

upload_2018-11-11_8-5-22.png
    sanjoh, rider1150gsadv and Buzztail like this.
  18. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Now if you can georeference the county maps and use them for the background/layer on your gps, that would be awesome.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  19. BillyGoat4130

Oddometer:
    I just usually stare at them enough to memorize the route or I'll dual screen one of those and Google MyMaps to draw it, but I try to ride without a GPS until I'm in the city or urban areas...lol
  20. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    Recovering well enough to work on the 950 crank sensor.
    Hope to have it ready for a black Friday ride out of live Oak.
    BillyGoat4130 likes this.