1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Trans-Lab: Alone? At your age?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mtl_Biker, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bob! On the way back through Vermont I'd planned to stop for lunch or dinner at the Prohibition Pig that you introduced me to, but it was raining so hard that instead of camping for the night, I rode right through, all the way home.

Cheers!

2. vinyard

vinyard Drop Bear

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Awesome spot, good work mate and cheers for the rr. Top notch!
    RG1984 likes this.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics of Twillingate... Front page material and could be used by tourism Nfld. :clap
  4. VladM

VladM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The narrative and pictures are so good that I feel like I was there with you. This part especially gave me the shivers:

"I gathered all my gear and made a dash through the wet grass and mud to my bike and strapped it all on. I was wearing my helmet because it was raining so hard and with the visor down I couldnÂ’t see anything because of the rain and the visor kept fogging up (there was no air circulation through the helmet as there would be while riding) so I had to open the visor. And then rain got on the inside the visor and also between the pinlock screen and outer screen. That was going to make the riding really difficult."

BTW, my wife says you portrayed me really well, again in both pictures and words. "It's you.",she told me. She was quite amused too, of course :).
  5. Aying1

Aying1 Aspiring adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're giving me too much credit, Eldor. It was only 1,274 km :D

Without your help that day my trip would have been compromised, thank you very much!!! The guys from Excel Honda were indeed amazing and did everything they could to get me going again and then some. I can't thank them enough!
  6. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Hey Eldor. Great report. Keep it coming.
  7. moralem

moralem Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did you take the pictures of yourself from several feet away? Did you use a tripod and timer on the camera? Just curious.
  8. Aying1

Aying1 Aspiring adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was really great meeting again AFTER the trip and having a chance to share some stories and "compare notes" :D

No promises, we'll see. I've made it back home yesterday evening, 37 days and 1 hour after pulling out of my driveway looking for the adventure I was going to find :D. After 18,435 km on the road, it felt strange not riding today... and as strange as it may sound, I'm kind of feeling the itch...
  9. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it. And yes, it was a really awesome spot!!! The highlight of my tirp.

10. ncroadtoad

ncroadtoad No Use to Society Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great write up Eldor, I have really enjoyed reading it and reminiscing my ride across the TLH and my several trips to Newfoundland. The last of which it rained 15 out of 18 days.
    I'm looking forward to the rest of the report, it really is very good.
  11. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much Maggot! I'm glad you like the photos, but I don't think they're quite good enough for tourism NFLD. Besides, they probably would rather people stay in hotels and eat in restaurants, rather than camp "in the rough" on the coast somewhere without paying a cent.

12. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Riley! I'm glad you found the thread!

Yes, there's more to come, but after the Cabot Trail and PEI, the rest is going to be really short (because it's boring riding in the rain).

13. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    But you WERE there with me!!! At least for part of it! :)

Glad you're enjoying the report Vlad, and that your wife is too.

I'd love to ride with you again, or at least share some scotch/rum with you.

Very best regards!
  14. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ovidiu, you're going to quibble about 26 km??? SHEECH! As far as I'm concerned, you did 1,300 km that day! :) And you did that kind of mileage day after day, although not with your wife on the back and not along the TLH.

Yeah, Excel Honda is a great group to deal with. Even though I ride a BMW, I buy most of my accessories from them and I've known them for many years. They've always been exceptionally helpful.

Cheers!

15. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pleasure was mine! And thank you again for buying me dinner and beers that night. Unexpected, but appreciated.

And seriously guy, you tell great stories and your photos are terrific. Please post a trip report, even if it's light on the text... the photos will carry it through.

18,435 km on ONE TRIP?? Wow! Here of course, that's not all that unusual, but I don't know personally anyone who rides that much in an entire season. That's quite an accomplishment.

Best regards!

Eldor

16. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I used a tripod and self-timer and ran like crazy. I carry a Gitzo Traveler carbon-fibre tripod in one of my panniers and for a small point and shoot camera it's certainly adequate.

17. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much! I'm glad you're enjoying the report.

But you really had 15 days of rain out of 18? That's awful! Particularly if it was torrential flood-condition rain as I had, rather than just a drizzle here and there.

I'd really like to spend some more time in NFLD sometime in the future. Especially if the weather is good. It looks to me like there are a ton of places to explore, great food and beer to be had, and pretty much free camping almost anywhere. Next time I would probably take the long ferry onto NFLD, ride up and around, and then the short ferry back. I never made it to the St John area this trip.

Cheers!

18. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Just got back from month in NFLD. Wife and I are from there, in the Carbonear area. The coastal routes all around the Avalon are awesome with scenic twisty roads thru small towns/villages.
    Lots of great pubs and friendly people throughout.

Going back in 2016 and will do a Burin Peninsula loop and try to get down to Hermitage/ Harbour Breton.
  19. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    Great RR! Love the pics. Yay for the inseam challenged! :clap
  20. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now THAT'S what will get me back to visit again! :)