trans labrador highway 2010

Discussion in 'Americas' started by scooterboyusa, Jan 18, 2010.

1. scooterboyusa

scooterboyusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've planned the Trans Lab for 2 years now so it's going to happen in 2010. The last section has been opened up and that's what I've been waiting for. I figure 2 weeks will be enough time to do this trip right from central Massachusetts. I'm looking to camp the whole trip and keep the $'s to a minimium but that is subject to change and adjust as needed. I'm also looking at a clockwise route up though Quebec, Labrador, Newfoundland, Cabot Trail, PEI, Maine etc. No problem with going counterclockwise if that would work best for another rider or riders :ricky who would be interested in going. My estimate shows about 3200 miles. I'm looking at the last 2 weeks of July or any time in August or September so if anyone is interested in teaming up for this great ride let me know. My bike of choice will be my 08 wee strom with a load of farkles.
    scooterboyusa
  2. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    A group of us are leaving from Ottawa July 23rd., leaving baie de comeau on July 25th. Camping, drinking, etc. Plan on doing a side excursion north for 300 km round trip just past lab City (zoom in on google maps, you'l see it) Once in NFLD we will be spending a week or so but if you would like to join us for the TLH and ferry (3 days including the side trip for tlh) shoot me a pm. If not maybe we will see you up there.
  3. padalinskie

padalinskie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at a similar route the last 2 weeks of July myself. I am planning on going to the BMW MOA rally in Oregon mid July and then I am available to head east after that. PM me and we can discuss further as I have some questions about the route including road conditions. Thanks!
  4. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I've got a small group going in early September, although instead of heading over to Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, I think we're going to take the coastal ferry from Blanc Sablon along the St Lawrence to Natashquan where Rt 138 starts, ride back to Baie Comeau, then ferry across to Matane, ride through the Gaspé peninsula, and pick up DockingPilot's dirt-road route from New Brunswick back through Maine and NH into Vermont.

Camping the whole trip is pretty easy to do -- mostly for free.

I recommend September -- the weather tends to be better and the bugs far fewer. See my ride report (linked in my sig below) for my first Trans-Lab trip.

Another recommendation: upgrade your Wee-Strom's suspension before doing this trip, and mount a set of knobbies. You'll have a lot more fun.

--mark
  5. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    I am massively curious to see DockingPilots dirt road route! Is there a link? I tried a quick search with no luck.. If it's a thread somewhere I am sure I could find it eventually but if you have it bookmarked hook me up..

I rode the TLH last year but I am tempted to do it again this year now that it's completed.. I like Deadly99's plan.. I was riding solo most of the time on my TLH ride so I didn't branch off the TLH much on any of the (few) side roads/trails for more than a few miles.. You start heading down a piece of dual track out there and it feels like if you crashed and broke your leg you might be stuck out there for a winter or two before someone stumbles on your bike (and your bones)..

As of this moment I have no REAL plans but it's easy enough for me to take a week off work and do a hurried 9 day loop ride.. If I planned it a little more two weeks and a LOT more fun would be better..

so I'm just throwing my hat in the ring here.. I'll be checking out these threads from time to time...

one thing I was just wondering, which I also posted on another similar thread, is this....

with the TLH all connected now that the Phase 3 section is passable..... How far is it between Churchill Falls and the next re-fuel if you are headed East?
  6. scooterboyusa

scooterboyusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remember the Trans Mass Trail/October 2009? I was just trying to keep up on that one. As a matter of fact you did a great R/R on that ride. After that I read your R/R of your trip on the TLH loop last year...very informative and good pictures. Keep in touch and let's see what transpires this summer.
  7. alcontrast

Oddometer:
    hey there Scooterboy. Trans Mass Trail ride was a good time.. We need to get a group like that together again this year and do a two day ride of the Trans-Mass-Trail combined with the Puppy Dog Trail in VT.. Camp up in Northern VT somewhere and ride back south the second day.. I'll be doing that sometime in the early summer, so watch for a thread then...

And I would still like to do an Alaska ride this year if I can afford it which is looking less likely by the day.. Which is why I'm thinking the TLH would be an easy local option again.. If I did it I would time it with SkiBums Soiree this year since I missed it last year..
  8. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you guys do a TMT this year please let me know. I'd love to do it.

Did the TLH last year. 2 weeks is more then plenty. I did it in 1 week on my Wee Strom. I didn't upgrade the suspension but I did put TKC's on. I was more solid then my buddy on an NX-650 on the road.

I'll have to do the TLH again someday to do the section I didn't do. One tip is if you are not the kind of guy that can't sleep in a chair or with people moving around you schedule the morning ferry from Newfoundland to Nova Scotia.

Another thing is to plan where you are going to stop each day. It would suck to get caught in between Relais Gabriel and Labcity. well there are places you could stick your tent. We got lucky and pulled into Gabriel just as it was getting dark. Markbvt found a nice place to camp there.

Where in Central Ma are you? I'm in Grafton and in the process of hooking my Wee up for Alaska in June.

I'm also interested in that all dirt route from NB across Maine to NH. I'm always up in Maine on Laborday weekend. So that would be fun to jump on some of it.
  9. alcontrast

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I found this in a search for a map of the new Phase 3 route.. I thought the northern/western end of the Phase 3 connector was way further west, sort of where the end of the river/bay is on that map. So I suppose Goose Bay would be a good refuel spot and then head south.. I had thought GooseBay was going to be about as far off the route now as Cartwright will be making it a long stretch from Churchill Falls to Port Hope Simpson with no services..

so is that map above accurate?
  10. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks right.

You'll have to get gas in Goose Bay as I recall the road to Phase 3 was a few miles outside of GB. Cheapest Gas in Goose Bay is actually on the base. Doubtful it is worth while to not just stop at the gas station in "downtown" GB though.

It looks like a long slog from GB to the "Pit Stop" in Port Simpson. I'd need to carry extra fuel with me for that.

It will be interesting to read the Ride Reports from the first few that do that section.

EDIT: It may not drop that far south. I think that was the proposed route for some mountain. I can't find anything other then planning maps that shows the actual route.

Also: something else I didn't know when I took the trip. They will lend you a satellite phone for the trip. Info here:
    http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releases/2009/tw/1218n04.htm
  11. scooterboyusa

scooterboyusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Graftyman.....I'm located in North Brookfield about 20 minutes west of Worcester. The Trans Mass Trail was a good time last fall and I plan on doing it again this summer. We were able to assemble 7 or 8 riders and had a great day. Alcontrast......let me know when you are doing the Puppy Dog, it's also on my list for 2010.
  12. Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few of us are leaving Nova Scotia on July 16th and going CCW so we may cross paths during the trip. As far as phase III, I spoke with Labrador Tourism and this phase is shown on their new highway maps. These maps will be available around the second week of February. I estimate the distance from Port Hope Simpson to Goose Bay to be around 410 km. Gas may be an issue??

Canadian FJR
  13. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    I might do the TLH again but in a BMW/sidecar if the TAT planned trip does not materialize. Loved the TLH which I did solo in 2008.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have since now attacked a Hack to the same bike. Gas no issue as I can haul a whole barrel if my spouse does not tag along.

[​IMG]
  14. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that map is accurate, at least in regards to Phase 3's endpoints. The western end is right by the "Welcome to Happy Valley-Goose Bay" sign.

So you'd definitely want to stop in HV-GB for gas and food, and probably spend the night there before hitting Phase 3.

Phase 3 is a little over 150 miles. It's unclear whether there are any services being built anywhere along the way, or at the spot it connects to Phase 2. Seems unlikely, so plan on needing to carry enough gas for the whole ~215-mile stretch from HV-GB to Port Hope Simpson.

As for DockingPilot's route, see his ride report:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530858

--mark
  15. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    in for 2010 on this...solo or not.

Foxrad you got your ears on?
  16. Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just heard back from one of the fine folks from Port Hope simpson. The run from Port Hope simpson to Goose Bay is 400 km, and there are no gas stops along the way. The locals are doing the trip these days in under five hours. I'm willing to bet it is better traveling now than it will be in the summer.

Canadian FJR
  17. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Christ. That's 250 miles; further than I thought. That's a lot of extra gas to carry if I do this trip on my Honda again... or even on the KTM Super Enduro I'm thinking of buying.

--mark
  18. scooterboyusa

scooterboyusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That hack looks sweeeeet!
  19. alcontrast

Oddometer:
  20. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately that takes up a lot of room that could otherwise be used carrying luggage/supplies!

--mark