1. eNewsletter Sign Up

trans labrador highway 2010

Discussion in 'Americas' started by scooterboyusa, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    There is a great loop to be done up there if anyone feels adventurous.

Take the Rue Du nord (400+km gravel), then the Trans Taiga (650km gravel), from the end at the dam there are a few fly in outfitters that quoted us last year that they would fly bikes and people to a town called Scheferville. From here it's about 75 km down a set of train tracks (only used 2 days a week) to a gravel road that bombs down to the Trans Lab Highway near lab City.

Last year we did Rue Du Nord and the Trans Taiga (see RR in my sig). Had I of known this was an option at the time I would have seriously considered it.

For the even more adventurous there is a hydro line that runs from half way up the Rue Du Nord to about 1/3 of the way up the Trans Taiga. Not on any maps, but we saw it on a hydro map when we were up there. This I WILL go do someday, or at least attempt, it's never been run on a bike and as per a conversation with a hydro worker up there "might be a few river crossings but the trail does get run by 4x4's for maintenance the odd time". My guess is its about 300-400 km of VERY remote country.

See you folks up North :clap
  2. BittyBob

BittyBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am doing this trip as well this summer from Ottawa. Going CW and will have a support vehicle as my father wants to see Labrador again as we used to live there 30 years ago. He will be driving my Nissan Frontier Nismo. Least I won't have to worry about carrying gear.... Can't Wait but figure its best to leave late August in order to miss the flies as I hear it can be real bad.
  3. Dave Noel

Dave Noel Giv'er

Oddometer:
    You should look up Novaboy, he was looking for a riding buddy for early Sept.
  4. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely planning to hit up SkiBum's "Soiree" on NFLD late this summer. My current thinking is that if I am going to head up to Newfoundland for a few days I might as well do the Lab as part of it.. This is all months away of course... but my plan would be a clockwise loop of Lab to Newfieland for Skibums Soireee and then blasting back to home in Connecticut. Perhaps all in two weeks off work,....
  5. Trailace

Trailace Dumb Ass

Oddometer:
    Hopping to do this in 2010 as well would you think of cutting back a little off the two weeks so I could make it up there from Texas.

PS Camping is the only way to go.
  6. Maineiac

Maineiac Kennebago Express

Oddometer:

I've been thinking hard about this one as the cabin fever grows up here in ME. and I'm interested if we can work out the scheduling. I like your general plan of attack for the ride. At this point I've got a pretty flexible schedule and I'm only committed to a ride out to the Indianapolis Moto GP at the end of August. Sept. would be ideal weather and schedule-wise.
  7. PackRat

PackRat Huey Guns Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on trying the clockwise route in late June leaving from Texas. I tried it counter-clockwise last August and got caught between the hurricanes (Bill and Danny) and after 2 weeks of being in non-stop rain, in Maine, my 'Stitch even wanted to go back to the barn! Jesse pontoons might help!:clap

8. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    I just looked at the gps track and it appears that it's around 240 miles from Goose Bay to Cartwright. Not sure if Port Hope Simpson is closer or not, but it at least gives a number to work with. Imminently doable on a KLR with some planning, but almost exactly 2.5 times the range of my DR350.

John
  9. Udo

Udo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving north central Colorado middle of June. Labrador, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and points between. Riding solo and mostly camping.
  10. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be hitting it at the end of June. Leaving Colorado on June 24th but I'll be heading up to Thunder bay and across from there to Baie Comeau and around clockwise. Newfoundland and the whole trip and end up in Vermont for the U.S.C.A. national on July 8th. Riding solo and camping and such also.
  11. RiotPat

RiotPat Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're going to enjoy it. Great ride, the thing I enjoyed most was the feeling of remoteness. If you break for to camp while there is still daylight out you'll have no trouble finding free places to camp.

[​IMG]
  12. PackRat

Oddometer:
    Looks like several of us will be in Baie Comeau about the end of June. I'm trying to also do the Gaspe Penn. on the way. I plan to have about 4 day"s meals, water (and Captain Morgans) and snacks for camping that route to Goose Bay and down to NF.

I'm prepositioning and changing tires in Maine both north and southbound.

I am saving the major highways thru Montreal and Quebec for a later trip in the RV with the better half.:wink:

13. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm taking my GS sidecar also so I don't worry about carrying enough fuel and such.
    [​IMG]
    I will be taking the fiberglass tub off and putting on the metal adventure tub though. I run a car tire on the rear and I've got 11,000 miles on the ME880 on the front so far so with a new front when I leave tires aren't an issue.
  14. PackRat

Oddometer:
    Outstanding!

.....I have already started the drawings for my adventure tub with a rack on top suitable for a small kayak if needed. The top half of the tub will be removable so I can install a cockpit and seat for folks!
  15. renaudtrudel

renaudtrudel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It would seem Phase 3 is now officially open.

I am beginning planning on a TLH loop trip this summer 2010 leaving from Ottawa :deal:
    Baie Comeau, Labrador City, HVGB and hit Phase 3 to Cartwright, down Rte 510 to Newfoundland with maybe a few stops on the Labrador side, ferry across to NS and return.

I would love riding partners, it's always better to dip when there's someone along to laugh at you :lol3

Mid-july. 08 R12GSA.
    Just think of the gas-carrying assistance capability for the dry 400km on Phase3 :evil

I've emailed Deadly99 for details on his/their route, any other takers? (whole trip or legs)
  16. Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Phase III is now listed on the new NFLD/Labrador maps.

Canadian FJR
  17. mullerjd

mullerjd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish it would get added to Google maps :cry
  18. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Paul Mondor and several other guys rode Phase III this winter (yes, really) and posted the GPS track on Paul's website. Here it is applied to Google Maps via GPS Visualizer.

<iframe src="http://www.swyve.org/stuff/phase3.html" width="600" height="600" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0">
    <a href="http://www.swyve.org/stuff/phase3.html">Click here for the map</a>
    </iframe>

--mark
  19. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    With a little luck I should be heading North out of Baie- Comeau on Monday June 28th.
  20. LoneTraveler

LoneTraveler Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer:
    I've been wanting to do this ride since I got my first bike, but was put off by the gravel roads. Will Rt. 389 leading into Labrador City be paved?

I won't have the vaca time to go clear across, but to get to a point that far north is a personal goal I'd like to meet.

Thanks in advance!