1. eNewsletter Sign Up

trans labrador highway 2010

Discussion in 'Americas' started by scooterboyusa, Jan 18, 2010.

1. scooterboyusa

scooterboyusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From the way I see it, from Baie Comeau to Lab City you should be on and off of paved road approximately half the time. 300+ or - kilometers out of a total of 590.

2. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I don't think so. The Labrador government is planning to pave Phase I of the Trans-Lab, which goes from Lab City to Happy Valley-Goose Bay, but they have no control over Rt 389 since it's in Quebec. I would guess that there are no immediate plans to pave that section, and as it happens, the section of 389 from Fire Lake to Fermont is the most technically difficult of the entire Trans-Quebec-Labrador road corridor. So getting to Phase I once it's paved will still be challenging.

That said, I think I did read somewhere that Quebec is planning to do some work to that section to make it a little safer, but who knows when they'll actually get around to it.

You might want to consider the road to Radisson/James Bay instead. It's entirely paved and goes about the same distance north.

--mark
  3. LoneTraveler

LoneTraveler Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer:
    Thank you Mark. Will definitely look into that route. Anyone else on here planning on heading up in June? I'm leaving the 8th, and will be back in NJ on the 13th.
  4. scooterboyusa

scooterboyusa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Due to some personal issues at home I will be heading out counter clockwise august 14 and plan on being on the road 11-12 days. I appreciate all that have offered to let me team up with them so let me throw this out there.....If anyone wants to head out the last 2 weeks of august let me know.
    scooterboyusa
  5. TLTom

TLTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a group of 4 or 5 riders will be leaving out of Toronto on Aug 20 for 2 weeks
    bikes include F800GS, R80G/S, KLR and a Vstrom

clockwise to Goose bay, cartwright, across to the Rock and St Johns, ferry to sydney and back

looks like it's going to be a zoo out there this summer:D
  6. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    If it's anything like my trip in 2008, the dozens of black bear along the roadside made it very much like a zoo!
  7. anatinae

anatinae As Bad As Can

Oddometer:
    I'll be making the trip to TLH to HVGB to NFL from Aug 16 - 29. I'll be leaving from the Adirondacks of NY with a friend on a F650 Dakar. :thumb
  8. Captainv

Captainv Barnacled

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I just finished driving my truck on the newly opened phase III section. The road from Port Hope Simpson was great until the last 50 KM into Goose Bay. I've never seen a worse cow path. The truck has damage underneath where large rocks brushed underneath. Impassible by regular car. It took me 3 hours to do 50 K. Road was washed over with water at one point, slick from mud. The workers are on their now finishing the widening and grading. I asked if it would be better by July for a buddy who wants to go; he said it should be. Anyway, even on my XR650 that last section would have been tough.

- Captain
  9. anatinae

anatinae As Bad As Can

Oddometer:

Good info, Thanks
  10. BahamaJohn

BahamaJohn off the Island....

Oddometer:
    I am planning the 2nd leg of my trip (first was Key West to New Jersey) leaving Toms River, NJ in early June to Montreal, via Maine, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Labrador and finally Quebec.

I will be riding a R1200GSA riding as many back roads as possible. Planning on camping and some motels.
  11. PackRat

PackRat Huey Guns Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll wave - I plan to go clockwise in mid June....want it to get a little warmer in the evenings!:clap

12. Mr. C

Mr. C I need more bike time!!

Oddometer:
    I agree. This section caught me totally off guard, as I wasn't expecting the "adventure" to start until I was travelling east across Labrador.

I think the Quebec government hires people to find the most ball-bearing like rocks to be used on that road.:eek1 Be ready for it!
  13. Paul J Statham

Paul J Statham Sign Maker

Oddometer:
    Just chiming in . Myself and my buddy Jim from BC are going to do the Ride the last two weeks of July also. I live in London Ont. We plan to ride through the states to the east coast. North to St John NB across to Digby NS then to North Sidney. Port aux Basques to Gros Morne park for a few days . Ferry to Banc Sablon then the Lab trail. Not sure how were are going home from there. Depending on time constraints . We would like to go north of Algonquin park then south back to London On.
    If you see us we are on two 08 KLrs mine is blue Jim's is red. Each have pelican cases mounted on the sides. Wave, stop shoot the shit .
    Hope to see you .
    Have a safe trip.
    Paul
  14. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I PM'd you.:wave
  15. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am leaving Colorado the 24th and three weeks from today I will be hitting Thunder Bay and working my way East. It's about time.
  16. hewhohesit8s

hewhohesit8s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My buddy and I will be leaving from Ottawa on the 13th of August and hope to head out from Baie Comeau on the 14th. We have 17 days to get back so we will be flexible. Our itinerary is not fixed. Some time on The Rock, some time in the Maritime, maybe back via 'Merica, maybe Quebec. Should be a good time.

I expect to be sporting knobbies on this trip so hopefully we can find some gravel roads on The Rock and maybe in Nova Scotia. I need to spend more time on Google map.

I am looking forward to reading the 2010 ride reports to see how inmates are fairing on the Phase 3 part of the road - how the road is affecting fuel consumption and generally if one can reasonably ride from HVGB to Blanc Sablon in one day.
  17. PackRat

PackRat Huey Guns Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leaving Sunday AM...slow and easy...knobbies waiting in Maine.....no slab....just me and Capt. Morgan....no computer!:clap Will be writing draft of trip report enroute...lots of pics.:deal

18. cberry

cberry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. love/hate it

love/hate it Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just completed the run on a R1200GS with a 33 l Adventure gas tank and the Conti Trail Attacks. My findings;

May 31 - Matane to Lab City
    Good riding, no exciting moments. Road better than a previous trip a few years ago.

June 01 - Lab City to Churchill Falls to Goose Bay
    The section between the Falls and Goose was slower riding because of areas of soft sand and loose gravel. I twice almost went down after hitting soft sand at speed, and twice again when the loose gravel caused the bike to dance faster than I could keep in step.

June 02 - Goose Bay to Red Bay with visits at Charlottetown, Port Hope Simpson, Saint Lewis
    Good riding but for 2 areas. The 1st, Marystown to Red Bay is cratered with potholes. They shouldn`t cause any anxious moments, but will slow you down. The 2nd area is the one of huge concern. It starts 85 kms. in from the beginning of the phase 3 hwy. (100 kms. from the gas station in Goose), and is 50 km. long. I only learned about this area when in the Falls and again in Goose. Opinions from the locals were divided on whether a motorcycle could get through. So I called the hwys. dept. and was told that neither motorcycle nor automobile should try it. I was then passed on to the hwys. supervisor who said the road was easily passable by motorcycle and construction was reduced to 25 km. long. WRONG! So the only thing to do was to take a look. On the way to the construction area are 2 temporary bridges which were not a problem. But with any amount of rain, I would expect a sea of mud that could create some excitement, especially when going uphill. It took 3 hours to get through the 50 km. construction area. This was due both to traffic hold ups and slow going. Some areas were badly potholed but not difficult to get through. There were a couple of stretches of mud (there had been no rain), probably no more than 50 ft long which I had to foot paddle through. Because of the tire tracks and ruts in the mud, I think even a good set of knobbies would have required paddling. Other areas had poor uneven surfaces of large rock but were not too difficult to navigate. The real challenge was with what the road crews called RAMPS. I think there may have been 5 of these ramps. They are made of large irregular shaped rock, rise 3 or 4 ft in height at a very steep angle, and then either level off or descend back down, again at a very steep angle. After the truck dumps the load of rock, the dozer goes over it a couple of times, and that is your road. On a couple of the ramps, I doubted I would get through because of ground clearance on the bike, or my skill level. On another ramp, an SUV driver and I refused to advance till the dozer passed over it a couple of more times. Even then, the SUV driver had to move some rock himself. Anyway, I did manage to get through the construction section without going down, but it was only because I had horseshoes up the ying yang. I did meet a guy in the construction section going the opposite way on what I think was a 650 Dakar. He had already gone down twice, broke the gearsift lever, and still had to go over the most difficult ramp of them all. Had I known about this construction area and its condition before leaving home, I would not have made the trip. If you still want to do this, here are some things for you to think about;
    - The road shoulder can be very soft in places. Approach very slowly and with caution. I once had to get pushed out.
    - There is a ferry which runs between Goose and Cartwright which would allow you to avoid phase 3 and the construction area. Note that the ferry does not start service till mid June, subject to ice conditions, and only runs twice a week. You can sometimes get on a ferry with a bike even if they say they are all booked. Show up anyway, and they will probably find a spot for you. All bets are off for a group of bikes though.
    - If you travel clockwise, fuel up in Goose, you can easily turn back once reaching the construction section if you do not like what you see. If you start from the Port Hope Simpson end, you may not have enough fuel to turn around once reaching the construction section.
    - If you are moteling, reservations are highly recommended after mid June. Even now, I had to set up tent one night because of no vacancy.
    - Road information, for what it is worth, can be had at 709-896-7888
    - Road conditions can vary hour to hour due to weather, road grading, or construction. This report may no longer be entirely accurate over the whole TLH.
    Obviously, the TLH can be travelled by motorcycle. However, in my opinion, until the section under construction in phase 3 is completed, the risk is not worth the reward.
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading CW and leaving the third week of July. I'll report back on condiions. I'd have to assume the road will be in better shape for the summer tourism season.