trans labrador highway 2010

Discussion in 'Americas' started by scooterboyusa, Jan 18, 2010.

1. backroadsandbeyond

backroadsandbeyond Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be leaving Vancouver BC July 10th. Dont know when I will reach the TLH but figure around last week of July.

Going solo. If you see someone with vidio camera mounted on military green f800gs thats me. Maybee you will see me setting up camera in weird place and running back to bike to get a shot
  2. onarock

onarock Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any pictures of this section ??
  3. love/hate it

love/hate it Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No pictures...and that's something I kick myself for.
  4. solohvs

solohvs somewhere around the bend

Oddometer:
    The Canada option is looking better all the time for me, since the National Pack scene will make for hugh amounts of people SWARMING through the Rockies. Grand Teton was my first choice.

Bugs - I've heard everything from not so bad to... take IV fluids and be ready for a transfusion since you're going to get eaten alive and blood loss is a real problem.

I've been out in the bugs with a head net and had to cover exposed skin, but I can't imagine anything worse than a few biting insects under my visor while I ride.

Does anyone want to comment on the condition of the insect population up north? Are we having a "bad year" for bugs or will the DEET get me through the swarms of insects... which might not be as bad as the swarms of PEOPLE out west!

Brian
  5. totem

totem Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was about to leave today, but I'm delaying one day because of the rain. Reading this RR makes me think twice do. Especially with the rain that is falling up in that area at the moment.
  6. fltclark

fltclark Adventurer

Oddometer:

four of us are leaving this week for this same ride and this is the best info that I have seen...thank you for taking the time to share......
  7. onarock

onarock Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. MCole

MCole Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I passed that guy outside of Red Bay, pretty damn impressive although he didn't seem like he was in the mood to talk and I can't blame him :lol3

love it/hate it - that was me you passed in the construction zone riding up from NYC on a Triumph Scrambler. I only dropped the bike once going over one of those ramps, I thought I'd try one at speed with a fully loaded bike so I can advise y'all not to :huh Broke my shifter but the great guys at Frenchie's in Goose Bay got me back on the road in about 10 minutes without asking for anything.

I honestly wouldn't let the construction deter anyone from going. I've only been riding 6 months and had almost no off pavement experience before this trip and didn't find the Trans Lab difficult at really except forf that construction zone. I had some beers with the road builders outside their trailers and they said I was the first bike they'd seen on the new section with the exception of those crazy dudes who did it this winter :eek1 but I imagine the road will be greatly improved even on a day by day basis - they're working full speed and it is a relatively short section. Just give yourself some extra time and take the construction zone slow and you'll have no problems.
  9. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Thanks for the info. I'm heading up there in early September, so I'm sure the construction will be pretty much done by then.

I wonder if they're planning to add a fuel stop anywhere between HV-GB and Port Hope Simpson.

--mark
  10. Jumper5392

Jumper5392 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode the TLH Phase III June 19th and thought I would share some pics of the ride.

There is construction for about 50km that is a challenge but other than that it is ok. I don't like the bridge at the begining either (steel grating).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Buckeye67

Buckeye67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing, am going with two others, and will arrive in LAB around July 14th; so will share what the road looks like at that time.....road looks interesting to say the least...looking forward to the trip...:D :D
  12. renaudtrudel

renaudtrudel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SO MANY people headed up this summer, i wonder if they even saw this 2-wheeler rush coming when they were planning the darn road :eek1
  13. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
    That would be "dam" road.................:D
  14. Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Four of us are leaving Nova Scotia on July 16th and taking the 4:00 pm Ferry from North Sydney. I can't wait, I love these pics.

Canadian FJR
  15. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures, makes me want to go back and ride Phase 3 (did 1 and 2 last september).

If I didn't just ride the Campbell, Top of the World, Denali and Dalton Highways and then high tail it back east I would be all over it.

I guess I can't say I rode the Translab anymore...
  16. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heading up out of Baie Comeau on the hack inthe morning, I can't wait.
  17. cberry

cberry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope the weather will cooperate! Please post pictures or a rr. I'm leaving Baie Comeau on August 26 for skibum 69's Soiree 2010 in Newfoundland.

Have a great ride on the hack.
  18. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the weather will hold out but it looks like it could be a little wet today. I guess I can't complain though over 2,300 miles so far in the last 5 days and no rain yet so I am probably due.
    RR going on in Hacks:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860
  19. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I've got a group of three to five leaving Vermont on August 28 for a clockwise run. Sounds like it's a popular trip this summer.

--mark
  20. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiousity, what kinds of speeds to you tend to carry over those surfaces? The packed dirt/gravel looks fine. Deep gravel/marbles really unnerves me. Great pics.