trans labrador highway 2010

Discussion in 'Americas' started by scooterboyusa, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Jumper5392

Jumper5392 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exurban,

When you've got a good surface like this you can really haul ass. I'd find myself doin' 55 to 60mph and was lovin' it.
    [​IMG]

The potholes and the mud will certainly slow you down.
    [​IMG]

Then you'll find yourself just waitin' on construction.
    [​IMG]

Our group had good weather during the entire ride so there wasn't much to do with mud and washouts that a big rain will bring. We did have to watch our following distance between riders because of the dust though.

Have fun. It's a great ride.
  2. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Generally speaking, you can go pretty fast -- in fact, it's easier to ride the gravel at 60-70mph than at 40. The vast majority of Phase I and Phase II (Lab West to Happy Valley-Goose Bay and Cartwright to Red Bay) is like a normal dirt road, except wider -- typically gravel with bare strips of packed dirt in the tire tracks. Here you can really fly. If you get into a freshly graded section, just concentrate and don't run over any of the lengthwise berms that the graders leave as they're working. You definitely want to try to put your tires into the areas of thinnest gravel (ie, the truck tire tracks) as much as possible.

When I rode the Trans-Lab last year, there was really only one stretch of about 10 miles that was a white-knuckle experience, and that was only because there was a hellacious gusting crosswind combined with trackless loose gravel. As it happened, that was the last 10 miles coming into Red Bay, so we knew that we'd soon be hitting pavement, and therefore it wasn't that bad.

The big question for this year is Phase III. For those of us making the trip at the end of the summer, it sounds like chances are all but maybe a few miles of it will be as good as Phase I.

--mark
  3. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    On 500 between Labrador City and Churchill Falls there is construction starting about 100 kilometers out of Labrador City pretty muchall of the way to Churchhill Falls. There are some spots that are really soft fom the fresh road bed they are putting down getting ready to pave it. There were a lot of spots I had to slow down to 50 mph. There are a lot of dump trucks and backhoes out including one stretch where they are using the big off road dump trucks to haul in road base. Add in steady rain all of the way and it was an interesting trip this morning.
  4. striperjunky

striperjunky Go team "Venture" !!!!!

Oddometer:
  5. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks a little like this...

[​IMG]
  6. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, looks just like that except I remember it being wetter.
  7. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    You wanted wetter? You should have said so in the first place.....:evil :evil

[​IMG]
  8. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that competed with Cape Breton for the least pleasant morning of the trip. We really lucked out with the weather otherwise.

--mark
  9. Fab418

Fab418 Pig ridin'

Oddometer:
    I will be departing clockwise sometime near the end of next week (15-17 jul) from Saguenay, Quebec. Hope to cross path with some ADVriders!
  10. Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We're leaving Nova Scotia going CCW on July 16th. Be sure to wave.

Canadian FJR
  11. Fab418

Fab418 Pig ridin'

Oddometer:
    Sure will!
  12. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a recent black fly report? I heading up Aug.2nd,and will be camping out the entire way. I've got a head net,but it's the bugs that worry me more than the road. Nothing more annoying than black flies chowing on you for hours at a time-been there done that.
  13. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    I am still tempted to do this ride late summer.. but as I am sitting here in a knee to toe cast (broken [shattered] bone in my right foot) I am not sure when I'll be riding again.. I hate to miss out on the phase three section before more and more of the roadway gets paved.. I rode the loop late last summer and had a great time..

I got through cleanly while riding solo but a couple of other riders who were within a half day of me went home by airplane.. stay within your comfort zone out there. It's not hard to get going a little too fast in a nice straight gravel section and then have it suddenly turns to loose 2" deep gravel everywhere, or get a sudden gust of wind that pushes you out of your solid track into the loose stuff... If playing it safe means getting to town an hour or two later.. Do it!!. An hour or two on the road always beats a severely fractured ankle or punctured lung (the two injuries fellow riders dealt with on the TLH when I was there).. The two riders I know who crashed when I was up there were both experienced riders. It wasn't so much a lack of judgment as it was just a bad luck/timing...

I was riding the majority of the gravel road sections of the TLH around 50-60mph.. and for the most part I felt fairly solid.. but I had two of those ass puckering "this is when I crash" moments while at those speeds.. One stood out especially when I started fishtailing at 55mph in the middle of nowhere.. It was due to a gust of side-wind on the labrador coast portion of the trip.. I let off the throttle and rode it out but could have just as easily ate shit.. And most other riders doing the loop that I spoke too had that same sort of "this is when I crash" moment at least once on their trip...

It's a great ride.. Truly a feeling of being out in the wilderness for hundreds of miles at a time. While still in relative safety being on a maintained road with fairly frequent traffic. But don't let that feeling of safety get to you...

ride like you stole it but also ride like you stole it hundreds of miles from the nearest Emergency Room......
  14. Canadian FJR

Oddometer:
    Four of us are currently sitting in Port Hope Simpson. When we got off the NFLD/Lab boat yesterday it was 9 degrees and hail. The good news is that there is no dust on the road :1drink . Our next stop is Goose Bay and the weather is looking up. We've only started on the dirt section but yesterday we met a Harley dresser and also another guy on an R-1 so there is no more excuses, go do it folks. More info tonight. Post up if you need and first hand info this wek.

Canadian FJR
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Leaving Ottawa Thursday. Maybe see some of you folks on the road "up there"
  16. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was the sketchiest part of the trip for me too -- no fishtailing, but some of those hellacious wind gusts in the last ten miles or so to Red Bay had me thinking they were going to either blow me right off the road or at least blow the bike out from under me.

By and large, though, I was able to maintain 60-70mph on most of the Trans-Lab. You just need to remain focused on the road surface ahead, read what it has to tell you, and ride accordingly.

Once the Trans-Lab's been paved in a few years, I'll actually have to go back and see all the scenery I missed while I was busy keeping my eyes on the road. :D

--mark
  17. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canadian FJR[/QUOTE]Is that 9C not 9F? I was planning on bringing my heated jacket with my mesh jacket,but I wonder if the RallyII jacket wouldn't be too hot there? What's guys thoughts on weather to wear rain gear on the outside or inside at a place like Lab? This new gear has it to be worn on the inside which I wonder if it will be a drag having heavy wet gear. I've done plenty of rain riding with g-tex over my leathers,but the textile stuff is new to me. It makes sense in the summer /fall where it might not rain too much,but I realize it can rain there quite a bit. Any help? thanks
  18. Bendrix

Bendrix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sitting in PHS at the Alexis and it's 75 degrees and shining sun! Trip up from Blanc Sablon was great except for a few pockets of fog near the shore. Other than that... No sign of rain. Headed Goose Bay way tomorrow am. I really can't see why you would need your heated jacket but definitely I would bring rain gear... The weather will change many times during your trip. Better to have and not want than to want and not have :)
  19. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    In June '08 there was snow alongside the road between Port Hope Simpson and L'Anse-au-Loup.

John
  20. Canadian FJR

Oddometer:
    Sitting here in Chruchill Falls................in the woods. Just saw a big black bear out back. Had to repair two KLRs today.

As far as the vest, had mine on every day since I left home.

The run from Goose to Churchill is a lot of fun. Twisty and lots of different road surface.

Canadian FJR