trans labrador highway 2010

Discussion in 'Americas' started by scooterboyusa, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Fab418

Fab418 Pig ridin'

Oddometer:
    Just got back and this is bug country. I saw one guy with at least 20 bites on his forehead from camping one night in Gagnon.

I had bug spray and no net and was OK but don't plan on too much outdoor activities unless well dressed!
  2. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone doing any camping on this route? I'm leaving Mon.,going clock wise and plan to camp the whole way through. Haven't heard any comments on the camping-anyone?
  3. PackRat

PackRat Huey Guns Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was there 3 weeks ago - but I didn't camp after I saw what the black flies were doing to the construction workers.:eek1

I did Bay Comeau to Goose Bay in one day to stay ahead of rain.

I got one black fly in my helmet and didn't want to open the visor so 5 more could get in!

Have fun! :wink:

4. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    I rode the route last year (minus the new section, I had to ride the ferry) and camping was essentially fine anywhere on the side of the highway in the netherlands of Labrador, no worries.. I only ended up camping in campgrounds or staying in hotel style lodging out of simplicity mostly.. I had hoped to do some *side of the road* camping originally but the distances between towns were half or three quarters of a day at best and made it too easy to get to civilization and spend an extra $20 for showers and nearby restaurants.. I camped in (outside of) Lab City and Goose Bay, but at established campgrounds....

But there are plenty of places prime for *rustic* camping however.. if you have a GPS look for any of the river crossings/water crossings.. I stopped at several just for the view. Look around after Lab City especially.. I saw several places (I was headed East) that would have been great and just off the road...

bring some bug spray and perhaps a freestanding tent.... A short stop on the TLH is not bad..m It's generally a raised road a good 10-20 feet above the general terrain and insects are not an immediate problem..... however heading off into the woods and staying there for a while, or night,,,.. the black flies can be vicious...

Try to camp around dusk or after wards, set up camp fast and settle in early. Hanging out around a campfire at dusk is not advised in the rough country of Labrador. If you set up camp late (dusk), eat some dinner, and the retire to your tents soon after. Camping will be great.

and honestly.. there is not telliing what each of us has in store on our trips.. Go for your ideal plan. If it fails for some reason, for ANY reason; that's just part of the adventure.. you''ll survive a little wet, you'll survive some insects.. It's messed up but it's true..

The times I have been the most uncomfortable in the wilds are the moments in my life I cherish the most... embrace the unknown.. you'll get through it no worse for wear 99% of the time..
  5. MK Bike

MK Bike Still riding.....

Oddometer:
    Why :dunno
  6. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. delock

delock Woodside NB

Oddometer:
    Drove out by car a couple of weeks ago. Camped a couple of nights and stayed in the tent to keep the black flies out of my hair. Some folks at the campground at Pinware River were using bug jackets. The flies will be better in late august and into september.
  8. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope so. I will be passing thru around August 25 to catch the Relais Nordik on aug 27th
  9. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
  10. alcontrast

Oddometer:
    I busted up my foot a month ago and I'm not sure if I will be healed up enough to do the loop in August, or if I can afford to do the loop since I just took 5 weeks off work to nurse my foot....

so please.. if you are riding the TLH this year.. post a link to your ride report in this thread. or at least come back here and post a series of "best of" photos for those of us stuck at home!
  11. PackRat

PackRat Huey Guns Supporter

Oddometer:

OK, I'll start mine next week - gotta do a quick NM, CO, KS, OK trip till Wed then I'll get on it! :1drink

12. stromsurfer

stromsurfer Stromsurfer

Oddometer:
    Leaving on the 13th and going cw.
    Is it necassary to bring an extra set of tires? I have new TKC's on, and I have a used set I could bring but would rather not carry the weight if it does not seem necassary. Total distance will be around 2,800 miles. Of course I will have plenty of plugs either way. Thanks
  13. hewhohesit8s

hewhohesit8s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    also cw on a set of Mefo's. I hope they last the trip - about 4000 to 6000 km, depending on how inspired we are.
  14. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    leaving on the 27th for a cw loop. ride report will be posted.
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a cw trip. Road is in good shape. Did the new section in 4.5 hours in the pouring rain. The section from Manic 5 to Lab City had a few soft spots because it was wet. All in all we were able to travel at 100 km-h+ for the most of it. Our bikes took a beating and when it wasn't raining the blackflies were out with a vengenance. My favourite part was from Port Hope Simpson to Blanc Sablon, very rugged scenery.
    Ps...Churchill Falls is a shithole. Lab City and GooseBay were much nicier if your planning your trip. Goose to LabCity is an easier day ride.

Have fun, I'll be updating the ride report in my sig line soon with some stories and photo's (Cross Canada Route).
  16. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    A new set of TKCs should last the entire trip. Mine carried me about 3500 miles last year, riding cw from Vermont. The rear was finished when I got home, but it wasn't so bald that it couldn't have made it another few hundred miles.

--mark
  17. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    How was the construction on the new section? Apparently not too bad if you made it through so quickly.

I'm heading up there in a little under four weeks.

--mark
  18. mullerjd

mullerjd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3 weeks to go for me, leaving CCW on Aug 22nd!!
  19. ptc05ADV

ptc05ADV Looking for adventure

Oddometer:
    Eastern Ontario, great roads & lots of deer
    Ture dude, it May not ne the "hottest" spot in the world but it does have fuel, friendly folks AND coffee!!
    So, the new section from Goose to Cartwright (actually to an intersection south of Cartwright is OPEN?? Awesome!

Peter C

20. alcontrast

Oddometer:
    PACKRAT - I like your style.. looking forward to the ride report..

STROMSURFER - You'll be fine with a new set of TKC's. I had a 90% new set on when I rode the loop last year and I also did a good amount extra riding (dirt and road) in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.. I got back home to CT with maybe another 1000 miles in the tires if I REALLY pushed them...

my rear sprocket was toast.. My last (and long) day was from Nova Scotia back to CT and I was already worried I was going to have chain issues since the rear sprocket was hooked so bad.. But I got 12K+ miles out of the oem stock rear sprocket which is normal for the f650gs I was riding.. However if you're sprockets are worn now.. get new ones before the trip...

LAKOTA - I should be walking in sneakers by the 27th (barely, I'm wearing a big ass "boot" now, out of a cast last week) which means I am healed enough to ride.. I was thinking, or hoping, to do a fast 9-11 day loop ride from CT starting the same date as your or perhaps a week later.. I have to be back by Sept 10th for a wedding..

ps:

PTC05ADV - Churchill Fall I rather liked, perhaps because it was a "shithole", ie, no Tim Hortons and Walmart.. Lab City would have been depressing if I didn't stay at some crazy campground outside of town that night.. I liked that Churchill Falls had one bar, one gas station and one building that was the towns hotel, library, restaurant, town hall, school, post office etc. The free hydro-electric dam tour was interesting, although it sounded so much like a sales pitch at times I thought we were going to be offered jobs..

pss. The actual waterfall at Chruchill Falls (which I think is several kilos East of the town?) is worth stopping and hiking a short ways down the trail to check out. The river was mostly diverted to make the reservoir/dam and the HUGE falls are just a trickle in comparison to their old self.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_Falls