trans labrador highway 2010

Discussion in 'Americas' started by scooterboyusa, Jan 18, 2010.

1. anatinae

anatinae As Bad As Can

Oddometer:
    I saw those three pups when I went by. They were being fed by the road workers. They won't last long staying so close to the road and humans.

2. Martincito

Martincito Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:

interesting that you say that...the local's story is so much different.....

what is your basis? :ear
  4. anatinae

anatinae As Bad As Can

Oddometer:
    The road worker I was talking to as the pups walked in front of us.
  5. freeflow

Oddometer:
    I was wondering about this....

well many of the locals tell me they will be fine.....and stay away from humans in the next few months...until they get hunted :lol3
  6. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    The wife and I saw the pups too and I felt sorry for them. They have grown up taking handouts from humans and I doubt they have polished their hunting skills. What happens this winter when there are no tourists giving handouts and alot less construction workers doing the same? Never does wildlife any good to get handouts,,,,,,,,,,,,,, never does humans any good either for that matter.:deal
  7. Hodag

Hodag Native

Oddometer:
    interesting
  8. OldSilverFox

OldSilverFox Let's Go!

Oddometer:
    Freeflow
    "my strom 650 with a anakee front with over 10,000 miles on it and a new tourance rear were perfect for me and my riding style...ride the slide, let the bike float but keep it beneath you....speed is your friend on that stuff IMO...100-130 kph all day is very very doable...allegedly.. :augie"

I just got back from riding to James Bay and the road to Longue Point. Much less gravel than the Trans Lab. The gravel there I would assume is much like the Trans Lab, crushed granite rather than the limestone we have in Southern Ontario.

It had been freshly graded but I was tenative at about 1/2 the speeds you're suggesting. I'd like to do the Trans Lab soon so any advise on riding technique for the northern marbles ?
  9. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    I thought I knew how to ride gravel, then I rode the TLH. Now I know how to ride gravel. On the heavily loaded KLR, 5th gear felt better than anything else. I weighted the pegs, looked a couple hundred (or more) feet ahead and let the bike wiggle around. Speed is your friend.

John
  10. freeflow

Oddometer:
    exactly:thumb .....is is easier to run a cross loose sand than walk thru it....let the bike wiggle...don't force it anywhere..it has inherent stability at faster tire rotation...just get over the hump and settle in....sure you will get a few speed wobbles, but keep it underneath you ...it works for me and I learn to love the hypnotic effect is can have while being focused for long periods..if your forearms are burning, you are holding on too tight...it's not for everyone, but I sure like it....and my riding partner, Fox_rad was enjoying it too..YMMV

pick your line far ahead, and when you make a move, be deliberate and commit to squash thru the looser stuff....stopping takes more planning than normal :lol3

[​IMG]
  11. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Yes. :lol3
  12. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
  13. Rotten Ronnie

Rotten Ronnie Crash

Oddometer:
    Kelly's Cross, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    What was wrong with the KLR's?

I noted one guy had a spare rear strapped to his bike. Was he just being cautious, or was there a need for it?

I usually ride with a patch kit and spare 21" front on my KLR, but admittedly, that's for 5,400km of mostly asphalt with a bit of gravel fun mixed in here and there. Kenda 270's for this?
  14. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    ~800 miles of gravel...
  15. Moto-Rad

Moto-Rad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yepper, keep on that throttle. After a hundred or so speed wobbles, you figure you can make it through unscathed. Lots of adrenaline dumps and sore forearms. I still have that peice of hardware that has to do with life preservation. But it was a rush...120 - 140kmh, (wouldn't reccommend that, especially with less fuel capacity) reality contracts to an aperature in front of you that you focus on picking lines. Its a zen experience, after a few hours of that, you stop and its ...I WANT MORE!!!

16. Graftyman

Graftyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, you want more. It was in HV-GB last year that I decided to go to Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay. Now that I've done that I'm thinking of getting to the section between HV-GB and Cartwright which I didn't do last year.

I keep seeing people reference the Labrador Motel in HV-GB. I think you mean the Labrador Inn (Red Building on main drag). When I arrived everything else was full so we went there. I didn't find it all that bad. The water was warm and the sheets seemed clean. There was Wifi and I even remember posted from the room. It wasn't 5 stars by any means but after a long day that started out at Relief Gabriel and ended in HV-GB I had no issues with it. I've slept in worse. It's HV-GB afterall.

We did the trip at those high speeds when we did it I was on a DL650 with TKC-80's I was more planted then the NX650 I was with. My friend is a better rider then I am but we had no issues at all. When it got wet it was slippery and at times I had trouble seeing the line I wanted and hit a few of the mounds here and there.

The big question right now is what's next. I've done the TLH, I've done the Dalton. Where else is there to go east of the Mississippi so I don't have to take a month off work. :)
  17. freeflow

Oddometer:
    well put:thumb ...I enjoyed the ride with you man. ..it is hypnotic indeed... droning all day and not being planted at all.....

Graftyman, there is alot of dirt/gravel roads in northern WI and the UP of michigan...not as remote though...just saying.