Trans Labrador Highway joins national highway system

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Coolhand, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Coolhand

Coolhand Puck slapping maplesucker

Oddometer:
  2. moosehead

moosehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    south of the checkerboard....Bruce Penninsula
    OH NOOOO.......!!!
    My son and I did it last year and had so much fun we're heading back on '06!
    This is a great ride and like you say perhaps the end of one of the last great runs in the east. But, way govn't works may not be paved for awhile!
  3. northrider

northrider Traveler

Oddometer:
    I know that map programs cannot always be trusted, but MS Streets and Trips shows ferry routes that link Nova Scotia to Newfoundland to Labrador (Goose Bay). Does anyone know if these routes are correct and if so how long they are? It looks like a good way to do the Trans Labrador as a one way trip rather than out and back the same road. I'm thinking of shipping my bike to the US East coast and coming back to Alaska next Summer and the Trans Labrador looks like a good route to add to the trip.
  4. Relapse

Relapse Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Jeff Munn

Jeff Munn Just along for the ride..

Oddometer:
    Northrider,
    becoyote and I rode the Trans-Lab counter-clockwise this summer. Went north thru NY to Quebec, then up to Labrador City, across Labrador, ferried to Cartwright, then down the east side to Quebec again. Ferrid across to Newfoundland, then returned south via ferry to Nova Scotia, then back into the USA at Maine.

You can find our ride report here: Goose bay and Beyond

I spend a lot of time compiling the information on routes, distances, gas, etc. You might find it useful. It has all the information you need, web page links, phone numbers, ferry schedules, etc.

Do the ride! It is absolutely incredible. I wouldn't worry about them paving it anytime soon though. They still haven't even finished bulldozing out the last 250 km from Goose Bay to Cartwright. When they finish that in 2008 you'll be able to do the entire ride without ferrying within Labrador.

BTW, it is the longest unpaved road in North America. It is even longer than the Dempster or the Haul Road. I think it is North America's last great wild road.
  6. K2ride

K2ride Single track mind!

Oddometer:
    There goes the neighborhood; BUMMER! :pissed
  7. Dave Noel

Dave Noel Giv'er

Oddometer:
    If there is anything you need ot know about riding through Que - Labrador road, read Jeff's ride report. It is the encyclopedia of Trans Labrador travel, very informative. All the questions are answered there, if you have more just ask.