Trans Labrador Highway run (Orma Lake Rd) 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CavReconSGT, May 2, 2017.

1. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    This years adventure is not a solo attempt to Caniapiscau like last year (That reattempt will probably be in 2018). This year I am riding with a friend from work traveling from CT doing the Trans Labrador highway. We are taking 2 weeks (16 days) if needed. Doing the loop clockwise and coming down through Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Planning on doing the Orma Lake road near Churchill falls to its northern terminus and also The Cabot Trail. Leaving in late July. Will fill this in with more information on the equipment and about us as time goes on. I just wanted to create this starting point for discussions and comments from anyone who has done this trip, especially the Orma road part.

KR
    soberjoe likes this.
  2. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I seem to recall reading somewhere not too long ago that the Orma Lake road has become impassable, but it's possible I could be conflating it with some of the other Trans-Lab offshoots (the dirt road from Port Cartier to Gagnon, for example, has a bridge out so is definitely impassable). Do some googling before you get too deep into planning.

As for the rest of the trip, I've done the Trans-Lab/Newfoundland loop four times between 2009 (when the TLH was still all gravel and the Phase 3 section wasn't open yet) and last year. Ride reports accessible via the link in my sig below.

--mark
  3. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I saw a ride someone took with a washed out area on the road recently. It looked like a problem for a vehicle but a bike should be able to make it. I also don't know for sure, but I suspect that damage would be repaired as that is access for people who fish and hunt in that area. I have been researching and will continue to. It also is not do or die. I'd like to get to the end but we will evaluate as we go.

Thanks,
    KR
  4. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was up there last summer and tried to do the Esker Road. I got stopped by snow drifts about 10 miles past the Gabbro structure, and was told there was a washout a bit further on that I wouldn't have been able to get past anyway. A guy in Churchill Falls told me the Orma Lake Road was snowed in, but otherwise rideable to the end. That was early in the season, so things may have changed.

And kr1? I think you live near me. We need to meet at the Vanilla Bean for a 60 mile cup of coffee sometime soon.
    RG1984 likes this.
  5. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

That is right. We need to meet up. I remember reading your report. Maybe in a few weekends.

KR
  6. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    This is probably the setup that I will be using. This is the setup I used for the trip to James Bay last year and it worked really well.

upload_2017-7-5_13-8-50.png

With an important change:

upload_2017-7-5_13-9-40.png

This adds almost 2 extra gallons. Another 100 miles of range.

KR
  7. Robnoxious

Robnoxious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm doing that ride this year solo on my KTM I'm going clockwise I'm leaving at the end of July what tires are you using on your BMW are those TC 80s? And how many miles do you get on the pavement with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Yep. TKC 80's. I plan on changing out the rear tire before this trip with a fresh TKC80. That will put the rear around 5000 miles. The front is still good for this trip. I had Heidenau's for a while on my other bike. I like the TKC 80's a lot. They behave very well, even in the wet on asphalt.
    Robnoxious likes this.
  9. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Our time-frame is late July and we are also doing it clockwise. Where are you leaving from?
    Robnoxious likes this.
  10. Robnoxious

Robnoxious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving from Michigan I just was unsure of the TC 80s I've never drove them any distance on pavement

11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Nfld on Jul 16 till about Aug 6th. I'll be on the east coast, but if anyone needs a hand with something during that time let me know.

I can fwd my cell number.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  12. Robnoxious

Robnoxious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Maggot

13. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That would be great.

KR
  14. Summit72

Summit72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll also be on the island the first week of August if anyone wants to have a pint
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  15. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

I personally haven't ridden a lot of different tires. The originals of the BMW, the Heidenau's and the TKC80's. I really liked the Heidenau's but always worried about them on wet asphalt. I had another friend at work, very experienced, who dumped his bike on a simple, slow turn with the Heidenau's.

The TKC's were recommended by a friend at work who also has lots of experience riding. It was on his recommendation that I bought them. I think they are great for the riding I do. They served me great on my trip to James bay in all kinds of weather. I am certain they don't wear as well as the Heidenau's but that is less important to me than the grip under all conditions. The friend that recommended the TKC's is the same friend that I am riding the TLH with.

KR
  16. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

We will see how the timing works out. That sounds great.

KR
  17. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Just one more comment. You will notice more vibration with the TKC's then the Hiedenau's because of their design. It didn't/doesn't bother me but it might bother some.

KR
    Robnoxious likes this.
  18. Robnoxious

Robnoxious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Summit I'm always down for a pint

19. Robnoxious

Robnoxious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to rock the scorpion attack 2 I think. They are more of a 85 15 tire mainly this trip will be on the pavement I'm not to familiar with Orma Lake Rd but wouldn't be afraid to throw some TC80s on and give it a shot!

20. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    TKC-80s are surprisingly good tires on pavement.

But that said, they're overkill for the Trans-Lab at this point. What sort of KTM are you on? Assuming it has 21/18 wheels, you'd do great with a Shinko 700 on the front and Pirelli MT90 or Shinko 705 on the back -- I ran the Shinko 700/Pirelli MT90 combo on my Africa Twin when I rode the Trans-Lab last fall, and it was awesome on both the gravel and the pavement. If your KTM is a model with 19/17 wheels, Shinko 705s would work fine.

--mark
    Tewster2 and CavReconSGT like this.