Trans Labrador Highway run (Orma Lake Rd) 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CavReconSGT, May 2, 2017.

1. rawventure

rawventure n00b

Oddometer:
    The road is forever changing but I did the Port Cartier to Gagnon (Relais Gabriel) last summer. The bridge was out but there a small 4x4 trail around it where you went through the river (there was only about a foot of water in the river) The road was rough as obviously there isn't much traffic but a lot of fun! If you don't know the area you would definitely want a GPS as its all old logging roads.
  2. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    Awesome. That is exactly the kind of things we are looking for. I have a GPS so that shouldn't be a problem. I also have some of the old road listed I believe. We expect to do some of the old roads also.

Thanks,
    KR
  3. Robnoxious

Robnoxious Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hey Mark thanks for the input I'm taking a 1290 SA the only tire in my size that would last any miles as a rear with a loaded bike and my ass would be the kangeroo 3 the 705 and the K60 still trying to decide choices choices my round trip for what I'm planning on doing is about 5-6k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. LosTabarnacos

LosTabarnacos Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Trip is coming up fast. Did the northern part of the Hampster a couple of weeks ago as a shakedown trip to try out some new gear including my tent. Camped right on the Canadian border on the northern terminus of the Hampster run. Within a couple of hundred feet of the border. Was told after we aren't allowed to camp there. Who knew. Looked like a camp spot to me. :lol3

upload_2017-7-5_13-21-13.png

Leaving in the end of July. Swapped out the tires, changed the oil, added Ride-on to the tires. Fixed the way the camel tank was plumbed. Checked the air filter, brake pads, installed a new Touratech seat and added a first aid carrier from Rotopax since I don't need the extra fuel capability on this trip with the addition of the camel tank. Only major pending item is the rear TPMS is no longer transmitting the tire pressure. Need to have that replaced, under warranty hopefully, and all things will be set.

I will have a Spotwalla address that people will be able to follow our trip online if they wish. I will be posting that shortly.

KR
  6. TRoberts

TRoberts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Returned from doing this trip (minus Oram Road) 10 days ago. Did it the opposite way in 2014. Let me know if you have any questions. Expect about 613kms of gravel total between Baie Comeau and Red Bay. Most of it is in excellent condition but as you near Red Bay they are blasting, crushing, and spreading new gravel and stone in anticipation of more asphalt this season. The batch plants and fuel dumps are being set up now. There was a recent forest fire near Muskrat Falls but it has not caused any road closures to date. I'm in St. John's, NL if you need anything. Have fun, look forward to your photos!
    RG1984 and CavReconSGT like this.
  7. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information. I will get in contact with you about any questions. There is a guy two towns over who did this loop last year. I need to get in touch with him also.

Thanks again,
    KR
  8. Robnoxious

Robnoxious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'll see you guys up there and we can grab a beer. I'm leaving either the 30 or 31 of July myself. I'm prepping my bike as we speak working on my fuel pump at the moment.

9. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

Do you have an inReach or smart phone that would work up there? Are you traveling clockwise or counter-clockwise and where are you leaving from?

KR
  10. Robnoxious

Robnoxious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm traveling clockwise from Michigan and yes I have a smartphone that will work. I'm also renting a satellite phone before I go

11. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Sorry Rob. I don't think the timing is going to work out. We are going clockwise and leaving on the 22nd. If anything changes I'll let you know. We are leaving from CT.

Best wishes on your trip. Look forward to hearing how it turns out.

KR
  12. Robnoxious

Robnoxious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worries here either way it will be a great trip. Ride safe!!!

13. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in Churchill Falls for the summer, I'll ask around and see if I can find any info on the Orma Lake Rd. I wanted to bring my 525 up this year but ended up only having time to get a Mtn bike in the trailer. I see a few of you on related threads, I'll be home on the island around the 26th of July with C-Stain and FeedGreen maybe showing up the 27/28. RTWPaul and El are on their way up but not sure about their timing. Sphene and his wife are headed in that direction too. CBerry is planning to be there 12/14 so I'll miss him. It's shaping up like a rally at my house.
  14. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Always looking for more/current info.

If I have email service somewhere I'll check to see if you are available. Maybe a coffee. I'll have to check with the guy I am riding with. We don't have a lot of free time in the schedule but it would be great to catch up with some of the inmates here.

KR
  15. skibum69

Oddometer:
    You can get on wifi in Lab City, I think both Tim Hortons and MacDonalds have it. My email is tied to my profile and if your phone is working here 709 691 7433. I'll try to find people with more info when they're back in the office on Monday. Looked at that road on the map and it goes for a long long way! Damn I'm bummed I couldn't get my 525 up here this year!
  16. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Yes it does go far into the north. I am not sure how far we will be going on it. I hope get to the end but we will see how that goes. I'll keep the number and thanks for checking.

KR
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Let me know when the 2 Nova Scotia FFs are showing up and I'll make it there then.

I may bring the misses with me....

We'll be on the Rock next Saturday, heading to Gros Morne for a couple nights then on the way east with a stop in Twillingate.

18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Yeah man, they're planning 27/28 so they can catch me at home, I have to head into town for a wedding on the 29th. the more the merrier! You're bringing a tent right?
  19. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What about the Mitas E07 Dakar? I just put 19,000 kilometers (12,000 miles) on a set riding from Ottawa Ontario to Dawson City Yukon and back. Roughly 17,000 asphalt and 2,000 gravel. The front still looks new, but the rear is pretty much done.
    2014 V-Strom 1000, fully loaded with a 200lb rider.

20. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I like my knobbies, I run Pirelli MT21 front with a Dunlop 908 rear and I've done 8000 km all pavement trips with 1/4 rubber left on my 640 Adventure.