Trans Labrador Highway run (Orma Lake Rd) 2017

Discussion in 'Americas' started by CavReconSGT, May 2, 2017.

1. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    The bridge outside Goose Bay has been making motorcyclists pucker for years. I've been over it three times on different bikes with different tires, and it's always a sketchy feeling. Just take it easy and maintain a constant speed.

No idea what makes that bridge so unique, but I've never been over any other steel grated bridge that made the bike wander anywhere near as much.

--mark
  2. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Absolutely correct. Weirdest bridge and probably the most scary. I have pictures I will post about it. My riding partner said that weaving actually gave him more control. I didn't try it. But it is definitely not a bridge that seems to want to let you drive straight on.

I should be home by tomorrow (in the Bar Harbor KOA right now) and will probably start a new thread soon with a URL here to the ride report. Everyone going on this trip be careful. There are some sections, particularly after Manic 5, those 60 miles are pretty tough gravel in sections. After Goose bay to Red bay there are some spots that can be dangerous if you hit the too fast also.

From Beau Comeau to Red Bay took us three days, I think. My partner runs very long (to me) days in the saddle though. Eight hours riding time, ass in the seat.

To any inmate who spots and takes a picture of one of my stickers out there, $10. There are only around 6 or so. They are prominently placed but they still might be hard to find. Hint - one is at the end of that crazy bridge.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/avete7dywvwec8k/StickerLayout2.JPG?dl=0

KR
  3. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    did you put up a pic of your stickers?
  4. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I am hoping that the link will work for everyone now.

KR
    jackoamerica likes this.
  5. jackoamerica

jackoamerica Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey. I will look for them. Leaving in the morning for the 3pm Matane ferry. If youre in the Bar Harbor KOA, you probably went right by the lobster place I work at across from the Trenton airport. Gateway Lobster pound..lol
  6. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Da
    Damn. I remember seeing the Trenton airport and I think I saw the Gateway lobster pound. My buddy comes here often so he wanted to go to Mainely. Holy crap was that good. Next time, I'll do lobster.

If you are going counter clockwise, they might be on the opposite side of the signs.

KR
    jackoamerica likes this.
  7. jackoamerica

jackoamerica Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Staying in Baie-Comeau tomorrow night, then striking out clockwise. Will look for your stickers..
    CavReconSGT and Robnoxious like this.
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hotwheels22 is a day ahead of you, he's camping near the dirt as of last night
    jackoamerica likes this.
  9. Yellow Iron

Yellow Iron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leaving Friday
    Vermont Friday
    Quebec Saturday
    Manic 5 Sunday
    I'll be looking for the stickers
    And have 3 others with me looking
    Thanks something else that makes the trip more interesting
    jackoamerica and CavReconSGT like this.
  10. jackoamerica

jackoamerica Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got on the boat at Matane. Shitload of bikes coming on. Some look good to go for the 389/500 route..lol

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  11. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify guys. First one on each sticker get the $10. Didn't mean to imply I could support the whole group. It was more a fun thing, not a career choice. :lol3

Thanks for everyone who posts a picture though. I'm now home. Will be reading of you guys adventures. I will be writing up my experiences on the trip fairly soon.

Safe and pleasant journeys to all.

KR
    jackoamerica likes this.
  12. Blackheart

Blackheart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For me the Confederation Bridge (French: Pont de la Confédération) which spans the Abegweit Passage of Northumberland Strait is on the top of my list of nail biters. It links Prince Edward Island with mainland New Brunswick, Canada. The bridge is 12.9-kilometre long and 11m wide Most of the curved bridge is 40m above water with a 60m navigation span for ship traffic.

When I crossed it west bound in 2015 as part of my TLH/Geocaching adventure around the Canadian maritime Providences, it was the wind gusts which caused the greatest panic of any section I rode that year.
    CavReconSGT and jackoamerica like this.
  13. Robnoxious

Robnoxious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you leave one about a hour outside of baie- comeau by a old boat trailer??? The road was to bad for me to turn around to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Mustang28027

Mustang28027 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I just finished an EPIC ride to Alaska. I got back last Saturday. Over 17k miles, 60 days of it and I made it to the Arctic Circle on the Dalton on my FZ1( see my avatar. That's at Beartooth Pass). Already planning my trip for next year to Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador. Question: Can I make it on my trusty FZ1, or are the roads composed of too much gravel? if its not good for the FZ I'll get a Dr650 and rock and roll.... Dave
  15. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

I don't remember that one. I know a couple of them are at the ends of bridge crossings. I have one on a stake. Nothing is on any private property. They are usually on the back sides of signs.

KR
  16. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:

Congratulations on your ride to the AC.

I am not really familiar with the FZ1 so I don't feel qualified to speak to that. There is around a total of 360 or so miles of gravel. I have video of a mistake I made that I will show where I went a little wide in the turn and got into the soft stuff. I didn't drop the bike but it was a hell of a ride and I injured my foot during the recovery. All is well but some of the gravel was tricky, for me. There are areas you can drive at 50-55 and then you see the change and you need to drop down to 35 and feel too fast. That is probably the most I can speak about. Maybe the other guys can say more after they go.

KR
  17. Robnoxious

Robnoxious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I figured I have been looking I thought that was yours. Lol. We just got into Lab City

18. Robnoxious

Robnoxious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found one!!!
    [​IMG]

CavReconSGT likes this.
  19. Robnoxious

Robnoxious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]