Trans Labrador Highway solo on a WR250R

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GravelRider, Feb 19, 2020.

1. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this. I've ridden PA to Prudhoe Bay and back, the Icefields Parkway several times etc. etc. in western and far north Canada, a wee bit of the Canol, the Dempster as far as the Arctic Circle (weather turned me around) but I never had a desire to ride eastern Canada, Newfoundland and all that . . . till I saw your pictures, lots of open land and places to camp. Yeah, I'd like to do that on my DR650. Thanks for the inspiration.
    GravelRider likes this.
  2. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reading. There are tons of great rides in eastern Canada. Check out the Trans Taiga as well. I really enjoyed that trip.
    poppawheelie likes this.
  3. Jimmy C

Jimmy C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was a pleasure to come across your ride report today. I had been scheduled to head out of Ontario arcing through Western Quebec, to Baie Comeau, then up the TLH, NFLD, Cape Breton, to PEI -- but then COVID happened...what I thought would be pushed to this upcoming summer, increasingly looks like it may be pushed back a second year...so it sure is nice to at least see it second hand. Nice pictures, I am blown away at how easily you carried 10.5 gallons of fuel on the 250, in addition to keeping a few beers on board. I prefer camping when possible, is there any must camp spots? How did you deal with food when camping? I thought about having a food pannier, and walking it out of camp as far downwind as possible each night, but I think a bear would crush it if it came acoss it -- meaning I'd be without a functioning pannier. I also imagine there is not tall trees around to do a proper hang....maybe a soft bag, stashed downwind...and if found, just suck it up until the next town?
    GravelRider likes this.
  4. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could definitely feel the weight of the extra fuel on the back of the bike, especially with spare rear tire on the back, but it's pretty doable on gravel roads. Serious single track would have given me a problem with all that weight.

I honestly didn't run into any must-camp spots. Though if I had it to do over again, I would have camped near the end of Orma Lake Road, mainly for the remoteness of it. I kept my food in one dry bag away from my bike and tent, and, when possible, tied it up to a tree. Realistically, if a bear found it and wanted it, it was going to get it. I figured keeping it far away from me was my best bet. I got lucky though that no bears did find it.

Once you get to do your ride, make sure to post up a ride report, and post a link here. I always like reading reports of places I've been.
    Jimmy C likes this.