Trans Labrador Hwy (#500)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by tor1150r, Nov 28, 2005.

1. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip through Labrador in 2006. Has anybody travelled this highway? If so, just how rough is it? I'm on an R1150R. Not a cruiser, but not a dual-sport either.
  2. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    We did it this summer.
    I don't think you'll have too much of a problem.
    Here was our report.
    Link

Brian
  3. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm looking at the possibilities of doing it myself this summer - you out of T.O.?
  4. MGB

MGB ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer:
    years ago without a problem.

Report is located at:

http://www.geocities.com/translab99/

What time of year are you planning? I'm trying to go early August - I want to miss the black fly season.
  5. ldeikis

ldeikis Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer:
    Search the trip reports section for Labrador if you haven't already, there's a lot of stuff.

also, here are some other non-adv trip reports I saved when looking into our trip:

Gary Surbaugh
    Trip in a harley
    Two up on a harley
    On a KLR
    On a Conny and a Magna

In heavy rain I think it would be a much slimier experience, but we rode across in dry weather and it was magnificent. Only regret is not having more time to explore northern lab. If you're comfortable on a dirt road anywhere, and you're comfortable with your bike (it's REMOTE) you'll love Lab.

-Luke
  6. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
    Excellent!
    Thanks all, for the info/links

--
    tor1150r
    Toronto
  7. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
    Not sure yet when we will go. I'm planning a trip from Toronto, through Quebec and the Maritimes. Returning west to Toronto via Labrador, northern Quebec - possibly James Bay, then south to Toronto I'm hoping to leave TO beginning of May. Still planning route and logistics.
  8. BUTTERBALL

BUTTERBALL Never ending kid saga...

Oddometer:
    Rather easy going all the way.
    We did the trip in 04 and the only thing is I wonder how bad it can become if M.nature is really pissed off?? On r1150gs's, it was almost a snooz. Very very nice trip for your eyes. The bears are and will be at the rendez-vous. Most of the encounters we had were in the +/-150km radius of Ch.falls. Be carefull since at that point in the trip, you tend to take the risk for granted. Well worth the time invested...

Cheers :1drink
  9. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    :ricky How long would a trip like this take? Sounds like something I would like to do.
  10. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
    Haven't detailed my route yet. So far, I estimate 7500 kms, with photo and note-taking stops. A realistic average of ~300 kms/day equates to the better part of 1 month. I'm sure it can be done quicker, but I am budgeting on the longest time slot. If it ends up shorter, well, I save a few $$ and some days. I'm planning on riding around the maritimes, not just through them on the TCH.
  11. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
    Trip plans are in motion. I've a route planned from Toronto, through the atlantic provinces, up to Labrador, then back to Toronto via northern Quebec.
    I expect to be in Lab by 2nd week of June (9th-12th area).