Trans labrador HWY in Winter

Discussion in 'Canada' started by paulmondor, May 16, 2007.

1. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Here is a little somehing from my site.:freaky

Quote from: DJ on Today at 01:44:25 PM
    Well, I had someone shake their head at me this morning as I rode through the light snow and strong wind gusts that we were having in TO. I pulled up beside him and I looked in at him in his great big SUV and I watched him sipping on his morning Latte.

Funny thing is that just before he noticed me, I was shaking my head at his complacency in his sheltered world, as he sat there with no thoughts of cold or thoughts of potential collisions or injury that riders think about every time we ride in traffic. It was when he looked at me and shook his head at the nut on the motorcycle, I started laughing in my helmet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know what you are saying. A mixed feeling takes over me when I see this. I have to admit I have seen this 1000’s of times and every time it is the same.

At first when I see this my head goes “ You F^%$&* moron! Yu have no clue!”

And then I laugh at him.

Over time I have had the chance to talk to some of these people. A few times I caught up with them at a gas station down the road or the parking lot of a restaurant!

And every time I asked “What were you shaking your head at?”

Some times I heard

“What are you doing out in weather like this?”

“Why would you ride in weather like this?”

“Do you know it is not safe to ride out like this?”

“They should arrest people like you!”

Even though every time I wanted to either hit them, ridicule them and laugh at them, I did not! I realized that the fear of the unknown makes people like this criticize what they do not know instead of making them wanting to reach out and educate themselves.

After watching them walk away or drive away I realize that they all have also something else in common. It was easy to see by the way they stood, walked, were dressed or even looked at me.

They all thought they were righteous! The SUV they drive is THEE thing to drive in weather like this. The Clothes they were wearing (According to them I am sure!) THEE ones to wear.

And most importantly, their opinions were THEE only right one.

Laughing at them would be a waste of a good laugh and swearing at them would be a waste of good linguistic practice. Hitting them would be like hitting a defenceless child or elderly. We CANNOT and will never be able to make them understand or get them to relate to the sense of freedom and absolute connectivity with the environment that is our friend and blessing as well as our enemy and concern. All this married together to form something that makes us giggle in our helmet all the time.

So! Here’s to all the SUV driving cappuccino sucking make up applying while driving 3 piece suit wearing A/C breathing I know more than any other but in fact I am so stuck and unhappy in this fucking cage and I am too afraid or too stuck to try anything else but I will act like know and understand everything cage driver!

To you out there shaking your head at us! Thanks! Thank you from the bottom of our heart! Because your action, as vile and minimizing as they might be, let us know without a shadow of a doubt, that we are THEE ONES in the right vehicle and the right weather having fun!

Iceman out

[​IMG]
  2. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:

Non non non, mon ami.

I meant to leave the chair ATTACHED to your bike, right where it is. :deal

No need to make this any more risky/dangerous/crazy than it already is, esti!

Have fun.... but stay SAFE.
  3. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :rofl :thumb :rayof :poser
    Non Non Non est tu malade tabarnac! Eille le cave! Fais pas le raison st-ciboire de casse de bain!

Gotcha!!!!:poser
    Listening to the wind in here that could blow te balls of a brass monkey, the chair is staying right where it is at!
  4. Big Doug

Big Doug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL! Now if you were travelling through the US, they've been known to give crazy people (like yourself) THE Chair from time-to-time, Paul. :evil

[​IMG]
  5. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I drove out the store at Wabigoon today, Paul. Road conditions are excellent, but a very nasty side wind, and pretty damn cold...

Still, I'd rather be riding with dry pavement and the cold, over warmer
    and snowy.

Be careful, my friend.:D
  6. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Lornce! You know I was just playing right!!!!:freaky
  7. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Well! Good news and bad news. The good one is that Frosty is ok! The bad one is that she might be ready buy Saturday or at the latest Tuesday! :(:
    I am trying to saythat this is good because it willlet the roads reopen in some places and the hurricanes die off but i am suffering from withdrawal (Drachen Sweetheart! Quiet!!) and i am going nuts here. I just want to head home.
    Well! What can I say except maudit Tabarnac!!!:kboom :ddog :baldy :kurt
  8. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:

I have no idea? I've gotta get in touch with my interpretor to find out what the tabernac you said!

salut,
    Laurent
  9. woodgrain

woodgrain In-Dented Savant

Oddometer:
    What can I say except maudit Tabarnac!!!:kboom :ddog :baldy :kurt[/quote]

The answer is sugar pie, tortiere, and poutine...and lots of it.

Woodgrain
  10. Big Doug

Big Doug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Invisible68

Invisible68 n00b

Oddometer:
    so what is wrong with frosty?!?!?
  12. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    nothing is wrong with her. she needed an oil change and the bearing that holds the crown holding the rear sprocket was worn as well as the chain and sprockets!

While we are there we decided to check the wheel bearings and change them if needed as well as the steering head bearing.
    the 1200 kms of the TLH was harder on her than the 6000 other kms coming to it.<otherwise she is doing just fine! I am absolutely blown away by how solid she is. i know for a fact that the only reasons those things need to be changed is because of her hauling the sidecar in combination with the TLH.
  13. Invisible68

Invisible68 n00b

Oddometer:
    ah..... need to take care of those things..... you don't need a wheel falling off where you are going...... just curious...:nod
  14. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Paul, just found this report this morning and have finally gotten to this point.

Absolutely fantastic!!! :clap As a sidecarist myself I just love Frosty, beautiful looking outfit.

Take care, keep warm and I'm looking forward to see the rest of the report. :thumb
  15. thm

thm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Paul, as you probably are aware, a huge storm has hit Toronto (well, at least huge by Toronto standards). 20-25cm. If typical weather patterns hold true, Toronto's weather today is Montreal's weather tomorrow.

Good news on the horizon though. It will warm up over the next few days and snow will turn to rain, so the fallen snow will probably just melt.

THM
  16. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Well! I have good news and bad news. The good news is that Frosty is ready and super healthy. She was cleared with a super clean bill of health.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The bad is news is 2 fold.<o:p></o:p>
    First! The storm is on us and it looks like at least here it will be here for 2 days. I do not mind riding in this but in this with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Quebec</st1:place></st1:State> drivers is suicide. So I have to wait till it clears. So I am getting Frosty brought back to me on a truck.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Second! BY the time I leave and will hit home I will have been gone 2 months. Too freaking long. So it is with a great sadness that I have to say that the iceman is flying home.:(: <o:p></o:p>
    2 weeks stopped has taken my desire to keep going to the ground.<o:p></o:p>
    I have crossed <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region></st1:place> and made it through the TLH and back with a total of over 8500kms.<o:p></o:p>
    I am happy! Riding back and doing a C2C2C would have been great but I have a life.<o:p></o:p>
    I will come back this summer to pick up Frosty.:D <o:p></o:p>
    Iceman out!:freaky <o:p></o:p>
  17. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    no one can fault you for that Paul! well done....
    but what will we read now??? :confused
  18. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done man.
    There's no defeat here.
    Rather, the bar has been set even higher by this trip.
    A new record for the motorcycling hall of records.
    :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  19. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Smart move Paul. Get back home to your loved ones. Excellent adventure, enjoyed every minute riding along with you from the comfort of my desktop.
    I applaud you sir!
  20. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    C'est pussie.

:D