1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Trans labrador HWY in Winter

Discussion in 'Canada' started by paulmondor, May 16, 2007.

1. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
    You did GOOD!

C2C is quite a feat in itself...........

Thanks for taking us along!
  2. D-Mac

D-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride Iceman!!!

:clap :clap :clap
  3. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Well shucks, sure gonna miss your writing about your experiences.

But big congrats! Glad you're getting home ok.

Thanks again for sharing so much with us.

Take care, Mark H.
  4. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your ride with us, iceman. I'll have to say that I worried about you.
  5. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Got your message Paul, don't worry about the tire, I'll either use it on the KLR, or you'll have a spare sitting here when you go to pick up Frosty.

Best of luck..it'll feel good to go home.
  6. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    +1. Thanks for taking us along.
  7. Coolhand

Coolhand Puck slapping maplesucker

Oddometer:
    I feel like my favorite tv show just got canceled.....it was good to be along for the ride.
  8. 907Duc

907Duc ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Mission accomplished....discretion is the better part of valor
  9. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Riding up and down the TLH in winter - priceless:clap

DW
  10. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    You get the trophy DOOD.....Thanks for sharing such a awesome adventure with such great humility. :thumb

[​IMG]
  11. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Great pic, Robert! ^

And a most deserving recipient.

Thanks again, Paul.

Mark H.
  12. BMWRC

BMWRC Nuckin' Futs!

Oddometer:
    You ARE what we all hope to be some day!

Thanks for taking us along.
  13. OrangeEnvy

OrangeEnvy Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great journey! Now what thread am I going to subscribe to? On the positive side it'll mean that I get a lot more work done at work! :)
  14. mugwump

mugwump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride!:ricky
  15. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    That is funny!

Even though I am so damn happy and proud about what I did, I can’t help but feel I have let myself down. This almost 2 weeks stop was not planned here and I was looking forward to have Frosty back and get back on the road.
    But I quickly felt that I was losing my game. Last year and this year before I left , I spent months preparing myself by talking to myself and psyching myself too..
    I know it! I can feel it and I would be lying to myself if I pretended it would be safe to leave right now, I was looking forward to do the C2C2C and was also looking forward to get home after it. Today when I woke up after the big snow dump I went outside and I was dreading being out in the cold. Not that I was cold but was resenting being exposed to the elements. Not a good feeling to have when you have to go across over 5000 kms of frozen land.
    In a mood like this it would have meant that I would have not only mad plenty of mistake and putting myself at risk for nothing but also putting others.
    I miss the road and I miss the fun we had. I miss the tabarnacs, sinciboires and soeurs blindees d`appocalypse de crisses!
    I already miss the feeling of Frosty cruising down the road silently over the snow covered road having only the sound of her engine for music!
    And my goodness! What a sound it was! The snow covered trees dancing by, the frozen lakes that made me think ¨Hmmm! It would be so much fun to go on this sheet of ice at 100 km/h and hit the breaks.
    I miss the looks of strangers looking at me like an alien, not because of pride and vanity but I knew that most of the time the conversations where about to start would be remembered on both side for a lifetime.
    I miss in many ways the TLH where at times, all I wanted to do was to hit the 911 button and wait to be picked up because I thought I could not go on for another second.
    I miss the feeling of life saving warmth I felt after I barely lit up the burner on my heater, wrapped myself in the tarp and felt it warm up not only my body, but my soul. It was one more victory achieved after a mind numbing battle with Mother Nature’s personality.
    I even miss the 20-30 minutes of shaking with stress and transitioning going outside after staying inside with my friend’s warmth. My bowl of soup! When my teeth were chattering and my hands had trouble putting the key in the switch I was shaking so hard. This was not because I was cold! But only because of yhow raw it all felt. I suppose anyone who has been in cold environment can understand! The feeling of the frozen air hitting the passage way as it warms up and makes its way down to the lungs.
    But of all this, what I will miss the most will be to com back in the room, grab a shower and turn my laptop back on and chat with my friends. As much as the solitude was healing most of the time, our chats were the highlights of the day.
    A giggle, a joke, a wise crack or a compliment! All this is again, what made this ride what it was!..........................................Our ride!
    I am done with winter trips. This is why I am sad and disappointed that the C2C2C will not be on my list of accomplishments. But I will have to learn to let this go. Because I follow my dreams like we all strive to do and as some of you know, I bite in life with merciless abandon!
    My plans now call for other things! My dreams are pointing in places where the only cold place might be the cooler holding a cerveza. I am going around the world in 2010 and this will take us around 5-7 years if all goes as planned. Melanie and I will go on a trip that we are blessed enough to be able to turn into a reality. And during this trip we will find another country that will become home. A country, where we will ride all year long! A country where nothing in our closet will have long sleeve and where ALL OUR FRIENDS WILL BE ABLE TO COME AND VISIT.
    But you must know this and make no mistake about it.
    No matter where the roads take me, my name will always be Iceman (Thanks to you).
    Part of my heart will always be on a frozen road somewhere in my memory, riding with 1000`s of pillions and co-riders.
    Finally and most importantly, my head will always be, somehow, no matter what I do, no matter where I ride and no matter what amazing vistas fill my eyes and mind, up a dead caribou’s ass.

Iceman out :freaky
  16. geewiz

geewiz Guest

Thanks Iceman! I enjoyed the journey, and look forward to your next. :thumb
  17. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll never forget this! Thank you, Paul.:D
  18. Oznay

Oznay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First off,thanks for takin'us all along on yer rides,you'd set the bar wayyyyyyyyy high,and it's not likely ANYONE will ever top what you have done.You did have us worried there,it's just too bad the unexpected delay screwed yer plans up,but in my opinion,YOU ARE THE MAN!:clap :clap :clap
  19. Big Doug

Big Doug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, Paul, awesome ride, buddy!
    You set out to do the Trans Lab and you did it there and back. If this was a hockey game, you're currently leading 8-0!
  20. Wreckluse

Wreckluse Will work for beer

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul, you have done more than the rest of us!! It is only in your mind that you think the journey was not completed. All of us here know that your goals were reached.

Stop off in the summer on your trip back with Frosty!!

Regards,
    Doug