Trans labrador HWY in Winter

Discussion in 'Canada' started by paulmondor, May 16, 2007.

1. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed listening to your radio interview Paul. It was good to hear your voice. You sounded like I figured you would. Too bad the interviewers were not quite up to speed with your complete journey. A good job non the less.
  2. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Okee Dokee! <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I am just about to post the whole thing! I mean what really happened on the TLH highway... I had skipped a few things because the horror of it was scaring me. But I have come to realize that sometimes challenges are sometimes conquered without any plans or without realizing the consequences. I have had a couple of radio interviews and also a newspaper one in which I have said it all. <o:p></o:p>
    now that I am thawed out and my 2 brain cells have recovered from the traumatizing memory they have of the inside of a caribou viewed from its ass, I can write better and appreciate more what really went on.<o:p></o:p>
    So bare with me here.<o:p></o:p>
    For those of you interested (Obviously many! Thanks!) The book thing is in the works.<o:p></o:p>
    I wanted to make 2, but it will be one combining last year and this year. <o:p></o:p>
    Cheers
  3. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
  4. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    Waiting patiently, well, waiting. :nod
  5. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:

Hey, Paul! Nice to see you around! We thought you were out sipping umbrella drinks in Cancun, or something!
  6. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    :lurk :lurk :lurk

DW
  7. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer:
    Paul - amazing stuff, as always.

I think you broke yourself, but as Eastern mystics often state, the true essense of existence lies behind the comforting veils and artifical trappings of life we believe are real. It takes something potent to strip away those illusions, something that bares our soul to a stronger understanding of what is real, what is false.

I honestly think you must have come through something similar. You surely must have grown as a human, and in your sprit, as a natural result of this terrifying yet tantalizing journey.
  8. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a ride.
  9. Big Doug

Big Doug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul, I had the experience of having one deer run at me and then beside me, (close enough that I could reach down and touch it on my right side and could hear it's hooves clopping on the pavement) for @ 1/2 a km at 80 kmph when I first got my bike 2 years ago and I almost shat myself.

I can only imagine what it must have felt like with a herd of caribou doing the same thing, let alone at -40 and in the dark?
  10. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul, I'm over in Germany and I just wanted to say I read your complete report while on the plane. Thanks for putting the pen to paper!

Darren
  11. iridefar

iridefar Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Paul,
    I am not sure if you remember me but we spoke before your first winter adventure. I have not communicated with you in a while because, frankly, I lost some respect for you when you started planning this trip. It was clear to many of us that you were being foolishly powered by ego and a need for the admiration of others on this forum.
    But I am happy to say that you have my respect again. Not because you attempted something so foolish, but rather because you were man enough to recognize what is important in life.

Had you somehow pulled this ride off, you would have spent the next year trying to figure out how to top it. The cycle would have continued until you got seriouslty hurt or died. I know you may be disappointed now, but all things considered, I don't think this could have ended any better.
  12. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Steve! Of course I remember you and all i can say my friend is.....

I lift my glass to you! Cheers also to friends like you, :freakywho saw the man before the trek.:freaky

Thank you Steve!!
  13. Big Doug

Big Doug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Meet the man who wants even more snow

ROY MacGREGOR
    From Monday's Globe and MailMarch 10, 2008 at 5:21 AM EDT

<!-- dateline -->OTTAWA<!-- /dateline --> — 'I'm crazy," he keeps saying.
    "He's nuts," says his next-door neighbour.
    "All my friends think it's crazy," says his youngest son.
    But perhaps it is the rest of us who have lost it.
    [​IMG]
    Luc Guertin packs down snow Sunday atop the two-storey-high bank he’s built in the driveway of his home in the Ottawa suburb of Orleans. <CITE class=source>(Roy MacGregor/The Globe and Mail)</CITE>

[​IMG]
    Just maybe Luc Guertin of Orleans has figured out how to love this winter when the rest of us are cursing it - particularly after this weekend of the endless snowfall for most of the country.
    Guertin's driveway snowbank stood higher than two very tall men Friday morning before the latest blast hit in the Wicked Winter of 2008. By yesterday afternoon, the growing bank had passed the second storey of his home in this Ottawa suburb and was threatening the chimney.
    Guertin is certain he now holds the world's record because, well, who else would be "crazy" enough to spend an entire winter hauling the snow up from his drive to pack it into a monolith? It has become the National Capital Region's oddest tourist attraction - and many hope its most fleeting.
    The 44-year-old Ottawa native began it, he says, simply because Environment Canada was predicting a winter to end all winters and, besides, as a carpenter, his natural inclination is to build things. There is the perfect backyard rink. And there is the robot costume - but more on that later.
    He began in November with a normal shovel, lifting the snow and packing it down, then carefully squaring it off, just as he has done for years in the backyard to create snow banks around his rink every bit as upright and resilient as arena boards.
    He then switched to a shovel with a longer handle, and then longer still. He built a special adapter for his snowblower so that, on a calm day, it would spray straight up like a fountain and curl just so that the snow would land on the brow of the growing hill and he could then pat it down with the longer shovel.
    Around December, he had to bring in a two-step stool, then a four-step one, then a stepladder. In February, he had to borrow a full extension ladder and, today, even that is not quite high enough as he heads up and then has to crawl to get out onto the top for the packing down.
    There was a time around Christmas when he thought he would create a snow version of the Gaspé's popular Percé Rock, but the bank grew so high and heavy that he began to worry that a hole through it might be seen as a safety concern.
    Already this past weekend the fire department and the local bylaw officer have come to cruise by Guertin's Toulouse Crescent home, their official vehicles carefully picking their way through the amateur photographers and video recorders who have come to see for themselves.
    Guertin is now hoping for more snow, at least one more big wallop that will provide him without enough cold raw material to complete the turret he is now thinking of constructing at the end closest to the road.
    He imagines himself and his three boys - Sam, 15, William, 13, and Adrien, 12 - standing there and able to survey a world that seems, these days, to have been all but crushed by the falling white.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080310.wmacgregor10/BNStory/Front/
  14. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    there are some ride reports that deserve a bump...
  15. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Hey Ron! How you doing? I hope all is well in ONT and that you are not staying out of trouble too much. Just in case i have not told you the 2 books are coming out in February and the first 25 copies off the press are mine.:D
    I will be sending you 2 of them signed with a little something just for you my friend.:freaky

I am sure your KLR and Burgman are all hunkered down right now. here i a still riding and so far we had a great season!

I have been stupidly busy with my Strata duplex construction as well as writing the 2 books and also working on the tour company that is coming on line in the spring. They say a busy mind is a healthy mind. Well Dammit! mine will never die:huh

anyways! give a big hug to your better half and also to Mom ok?
    Keep in touch my friend. As soon as I slow down I will try to be in contact more.

Take care.:freaky
  16. Coolhand

Coolhand Puck slapping maplesucker

Oddometer:
    Hey paul, its gettin cold out our way. how about one more scoot to the rock lol.
  17. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul!

Things aren't going too well here, laid off permanently as of January 3rd.

On the bright side, there's a shiny Suzuki Bandit added to the stable,
    which I hope to get out for a ride with this spring.

I was watching a show called "Wild Chef" on the food network last night, I swear the guy on there could be your brother!!
  18. Oznay

Oznay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Paul,glad to hear the books will soon be out,am sure looking forwars to getting them. Will say thanks again in here,for coming to my rescue after I completed the 3Flags ride,and fixed me up with an oil plug. Here's one of my fav pics from my trip.
    I was also honoured that you told me to sit on Frosty,and you took a couple pics..

Attached Files:

19. Bdog

Bdog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Osnay are you going to post the pictures of you and Frosty?
    I have known and ridden with Paul for over two years and Ihave never had the privilage of sitting on frosty now thats an honour.
    bdog

PS I;m the guy that took the photo of you at TH.
  20. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian! Com'on! That is just a bike. You come to my house all the time. Just sit on the damn thing.:lol3 Frosty like all motorcyclists! You know that!:D

Hey Nose! How you doing? You riding these days?? Hope you are! I loved that picture of your GS in the snow with your GS trailer behind it! Now that is what I should have used for Labrador last winter.

Stay in touch my friend! Me casa es tu casa!
    You can come to my place anytime you know? I have opened my place here in BC to anyone who wants to drop by.

Gotta go now! Still finishing up the Trans Labrador book. the one about the first trip is done and being finalized right now. Man!!:huh This is a lot of work.

Talk to you soon!

Brian!