Trans-LongIsland Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by oggi, May 7, 2008.

1. oggi

oggi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have slowly been compiling routes to cross from midway on Long Island to the hamptons. From Manorville to Hampton bays was very simnple, and have been riding a 70 mile loop of atv trail/single track/jeep trail, very similar to the last 1/3rd of the TNJT. I want to keep it low-key so please dont expect this to become an open route sharing forum. The goal is much like what Rob is doing with the TNJT, enjoy it together but not ruin it.

Need some suggestions for:

Yaphank to Manorville, I have ridden the powerline trail near the LIRR tracks, but seems there is better options on the southern side of 495

Ronkonkoma to Yaphank, I can see some trails from 495 when I am heading out east but always forget to map them, also near Motorola there is a powerline headed north, has anyone ever ridden that way

Smithtown to Ronkonkoma, there is a decent trial running from Northport to Smithtown, but no way to connect it west.
  2. moto mike

moto mike who needs a front wheel ?

Oddometer:
    I've laid out allot of the trails your talking about back when we had enduros and hair scrambles on long island. I moved off long island about 14 years ago so i cant help you. There are a few guys that can help you. Look for a guy Robbie Arnold. He is a welder in rocky point, should be in the book. He's got to be about 55 now but he know every trail on long island. Last i heard he still rides. There are others to. these are all old school guys. Look up Peter Brey he lives in manorville and also laid out allot of trail out that way and i know he still rides. If you cant find them i have others that might help you.
  3. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I might be able to dig something up for you. My sister lives in Manorville.
  4. oggi

oggi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    its all piecing together, from almost huntington to the south fork, there is a gap between nichols road and brookhaven labs. I rode the train taracks rocky embankment for like 8 miles and I dont ever want to do that again, so many reasons why
  5. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    One recommendation. Don't put the illegal stuff on the route but waypoint it with a Restricted (R) or (X) waypoint icon, name the waypoints as such Private1, Private2, etc or Gated1, Gated2, etc. That way you know where the trail is and it also informs other riders "ride at your own risk".
  6. Joebmetro

Joebmetro 18 Husky 701E Supporter

Oddometer:
    How's the route coming along?

I have a friend that knows a lot of trails in the area, he may be able to help.
  7. oggi

oggi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Trans LI Trail was compleated, there are a string of trails running from Northport all the way to Peconic/Shinnecock Bays. There is about 100 miles of great trails where deer have a habit of running out when you are doing 50mph on the sand tracks. Turkey are everywhere also. Thing is I ride there every weekend, occationally I hear some quad blasting away in the distance, but in the past year of riding every weekend I have never seen another soul on any ride. Once I saw a hunter in his truck, thats all. It helps that the lands are private and illegal to be on, so no unregistered rides hang out there.

Talking with others who have experience with making public group rides, there is no possible benifit to sharing undisclosed local trails, especially when it will just attract quad rides from queens and brookly for their weekend trail distruction.

I will post some pics later, locals will know where it is. key point is that there usually is some trail in your neighborhood, just get on your street titled bike and find them. Its great discovering new networks of traisl and just spending the day riding every section and getting home and seeing where it all fits in on mapsource.

Attached Files:

8. sweetlou

sweetlou small body, big balls

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM man

Lou
  9. Plastrick

Plastrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sent a PM as well
  10. Rippin724

Rippin724 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, love that you guys are scoping out trails. My cousin and I have found a few nice spots that are open and working on mapping out a way to hop from location to location. We are riding street legal DRZ400s. We are working the Nassau location just west of Suffolk. Working on moving in on Suffolk area, and would like to share locations.

Rippin724
  11. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any more info on these trails? I live in central Suffolk and I'm always looking for trails. I've seen people in "whispering pines" or "Suffolk meadows" which is in the northwest corner of the LIE and Will Floyd but its not legal :cry
  12. SilverTT

SilverTT n00b

Oddometer:
    Same here. Will be doing a lot of riding out east in west hampton, southampton, all the way to Montauk this summer and would really like to meet up with some guys who have done those routes and or just want to get out and ride. We have about 7 guys mostly with Husqvarna SM510s with dual sport tires and Bimmer F800s with knobbies.
  13. forrest11479

forrest11479 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    did anyone ever get the route?
  14. garbagekid0

garbagekid0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bump any info on this trail?
  15. sweetlou

sweetlou small body, big balls

Oddometer:
    No
  16. garbagekid0

garbagekid0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    alright, keepin it close i see. i live here too, just trying to scope out new places..
  17. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    ^same
  18. CatfishRacing

CatfishRacing Just a rider.

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread.
    I'm a little late to the party.
  19. rider257

rider257 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the good word on this trail? Can I pm someone for tracks ?
  20. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I dunno, I never really considered the LIE a "paved" road, at least not past exit 40..... :lol3