Trans-Mass Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Hulked Up, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Hulked Up

Hulked Up Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Vince. I may have been on Prock Hill Road when I did my exploring, but as you mentioned all the maps indicate it's a dead-end road. I don't know how to construct a route in Mapsource that has an off-road section. Maybe we can check it out on Saturday and fix the file.

Thanks for the local knowledge. :thumb
  2. Tsumerix

Tsumerix Riding as you Read

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the work.

This looks like the perfect start for my new 08' GS out of Boston.

I also grabbed those Rubel maps you refer too... Big thanks for that.
  3. Rovernutt

Rovernutt The best 1x2xfar?

Oddometer:
    I downloaded HulkedUp's original GPX, but there were a few areas that were sparse of waypoints.
    So I guessed on a few of the turns, drew it up on MapMyRide then exported the KML & put it on Google Maps so that anyone can edit it. Feel free to correct/modify/annotate the Gmap!

The track is attached...

Gary

Attached Files:

4. fast*st

fast*st Dirt rookie.

Oddometer:
    Jammin stuff there, still following along.

I'm going to go for a walk next week to rescout some of my old backwoods riding trails, I know one has a house in it now. My new backing comes from the federal 'rails to trails' program where pretty much every state has enacted a 'recreational use' clause for state and private property owners, limiting liability. Massachusetts, General Law c. 21 sec. 17C
    Might put folks more at ease about allowing passage.
  5. Hulked Up

Oddometer:
    Gary,

I'm not sure what is up with my original GPS file. Some of the sections are not listed as roads, which gave me issues in constructing the file. I looked over what you did and it looks spot-on. Thanks.

Keith
  6. gillbilly

gillbilly Z-Man

Oddometer:
    The .gpx attachment shows on my screen with an "X" in a red box over the file. Can I change a setting that allows me to download the file?

Thanks,
    Z-man
  7. MonsterJ

MonsterJ Motonerd

Oddometer:
    When I click the link everything works fine.... just click save.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as where to continue this route heading north? I'm trying to plan a 2-3 day route heading north and circling around then returning home to the Cape. I'm gonna try to avoid as much super slab as possible.
  8. RockyNH

RockyNH Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer:
    The TMT leads right into the VT Puppy Dog trail... That is a good route and you can take it up to almost the Canada border...

Pat in NH
  9. veesquared

veesquared Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ridden the Puppy Dog ride both South to north and North to South. The BMW MOV club honors this accomplishment with a " Got Done " pin with the MOV logo on it .

John Thurber from the MOV and a few other guys laid out the Southern section of this ride . I wrote John this a.m to see if he would be interested in adding some hero sections and possible re-route of the current ride.

Way back when , there were maps of trails and DR that were used to link all the New England States so facilitate the Ride -in for the annual meeting of the NETRA New England Trail Riders Association.

I plan to try this ride in the later part of Spring 2009 . Right after Mud season . I would be glad to lead a group to Allis State Park and do the Northeren section as well if there was interest. A few years ago the Puppy Dog ride. Definitely a mild ride, turned into something entirely different after three days of hard rain. Even full knobbies would have been a handful. One participant went down three times in the slop. I mention this because a ride that even a touring BMW could do in the dry was virtually an Enduro after the rain.

FYI I have been riding in the dirt for thirty five years. Current bikes 2001 BMW Dakar and a 2008 KTM 690 Enduro . I have a lot of experience leading small groups at your pace. If any of the posters here are interested in joining me send me a e-mail or reply here.
  10. MonsterJ

MonsterJ Motonerd

Oddometer:
    PM sent, Veesquared! :wink:
  11. kermita

kermita dirt newbie

Oddometer:
    Interested!

Also, does anyone have any GPS maps of dirt roads in central mass/quabin area?
  12. Jimmaaay

Jimmaaay Ride fast, take chances

Oddometer:
    I know this thread is kind of stale but I can't seem to find how to download the gpx files. I really want to do this in the next few weeks.

Can someone point me to the download?:freaky
  13. Hulked Up

Oddometer:
    For some reason I lost the original file upload when I edited the initial post. I've tried to reattach the gpx file but I get an error message. If someone has any ideas what I'm doing wrong or would like me to send them the gpx file so they can upload it themselves, please send me a PM. I'll email you the file.
  14. kermita

kermita dirt newbie

Oddometer:
    It's not just you Hulked UP....I just tried uploading the trans-mass gpx file and also received an error message. :dunno
  15. Hulked Up

Oddometer:
    Huh. Well, if anyone would like the gpx file, just send me an email.
  16. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    [Edited on Tues, 10 Nov 2009 to link to updated file.
    Edited on 8 Oct 2010 to update link to point to new file location address.]

Here is Hulked-Up's version2 of his Trans-Mass gpx file:

TMTv2.gpx

[EDIT changed link to point to new file location!]

You need to DOWNLOAD THE LINKED FILE :deal

Just clicking on it might work! :1drink

If you are using INTERNET EXPLORER V8 then you probably need to RIGHT-Click on the file and then LEFT-click on the "save-target-as" item in the menu that pops up.]

If you have any problems with the download PM me (its on my site)
  17. Brimard

Brimard Watch the Potholes

Oddometer:
    I've got a road bike but a Subaru for a car...hmmmm...

Great post!
  18. Spinalcracker

Spinalcracker former redriderofma

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to ride this this Thursday 4/16/09 if anybody is interested in riding.
  19. Hulked Up

Oddometer:
    Let us know the conditions...I was on the northern part (north of Greenfield) on Sunday and it was pretty muddy in spots. Still "mud season" around here.
  20. Spinalcracker

Spinalcracker former redriderofma

Oddometer:
    I'm bringing the camera so I'll post some picts. I'll be starting at 57 and and Beach Plain Road since I will be coming from Springfield.