Trans-Mass Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Hulked Up, Aug 10, 2008.

1. animalmx305

animalmx305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looked like the tree fell naturally but who knows
    Addapost likes this.
  2. BigOgre

BigOgre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was actually thinking of jumping on part of this tomorrow but decided to stay on the pavement instead. If anyone's on the 8:00 ferry say hello.
    animalmx305 likes this.
  3. animalmx305

animalmx305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You should have great weather....if I wasn't working I would go back up
  4. notgettingthis

notgettingthis n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm heading to the TMT south to north on Saturday June 29. First time on the TMT. Anyone interested in joining? Is this where we do this or do I start a new thread?
  5. bargeman

bargeman n00b

Oddometer:
    Just did the TMT Monday greenfield to Winsted and back Great ride was a father and sons trip we did it on our Drz 400 s what an absolutely great time. Our first adventure ride . I,m not a great rider, trail was very doable, there were sections where the boys could kick it up some for fun, to be able to just ride on and on with almost no cars what a joy. Next day we rode part of the puppy dog. They are ready to come back and ride the whole thing camping all the way, what more can a dad ask for, thank all of you who make the routes and host the site.
    By the way, my son was able to load an app on his phone to down load the maps, so the phone with a power brick made for a low cost gps, we rode by a few turns for lack of paying attention, the gps track is spot on.
    Happy trails
  6. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great time. Do you know what GPS Ap he used?
  7. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    That's very cool. First adventure ride. many more to come I hope. Great riding with you sons. I remember riding with my dad. Great memories. I miss riding in SW MA
    Dualsport Chic likes this.
  8. bargeman

bargeman n00b

Oddometer:
    the App was GPS tracks Pro, cost 20 dollars, there were times when we went out of cell coverage the screen was black with a blue line that we followed, took alittle getting used to but it never lead us wrong. I think with alittle more use that problem could be overcome. all and all it worked great.
  9. bargeman

bargeman n00b

Oddometer:
    yes great trip life time memories, we stopped at the bike shop on the way home and looked at dream bikes for when we go all in on the dream ride the TAT, rode my pedal bike across the country in my younger days, so i'm pretty sure i can make it with a motor on board.
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  10. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not familiar with that particular App but generally if you pay for a nav app you should be able to download maps to the phone's memory for use out of cell service or for use on a dedicated gps phone that isn't even attached to a calling plan. Check into the settings and controls on the app. But, as you pont out, even without a map under the track (colored line) you still have the track and your position and you can still follow the line because the phone still works as a gps. Nice job.
  11. redrider7202

redrider7202 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any updates on current conditions? Also what's the ride time for the whole route? Thinking about trying to meet up with my dad to ride at least part of it together but we are coming from opposite ends of the state.
  12. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I haven't recently been end-to-end on the TMT, but have been on almost all parts of it several times this summer. The conditions are great: it is a very easy ride on mostly paved or hard-packed dirt roads. There are only a few more technical sections and even those are, imo, easy unless it has been wet. I reckon the TMT is about 75 miles long and I have done the entire ride in about 4 hours and i am an old and slow rider (so I stop to pee, eat, buy gas, BS, etc.). If you are fast you could probably do it in a couple of hours (but you'd piss off a lot of people speeding by their houses on those small dirt back roads.)
    Dualsport Chic likes this.
  13. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The TMT is just about 96 miles end to end and to flei's point - mostly a pleasant and non technical ride. Unless we get severe rains, it should be fine to ride by any level of rider. 4 hours is a good measure of time to take it all in.
  14. bargeman

bargeman n00b

Oddometer:
    we started in green field and road to Winsted ct and back Monday, route was great just wet enough not to be a dust bowl and a few puddles that you could go around or though as we did. I am by no means a good rider and it was very doable. Watch the loss gravel on the down hill turns ( i'm just not used to it, we live on a sand bar after all) . we found the ride was 4.5 hours down and 3.5 back ( horse to the barn mentality). I like to see the farms so the portion from route 9 north was very scenic, the last miles crossing the deerfield river ( we did that 4 times) was great. That said the long dirt road runs on the lower half were there own kind of peaceful freedom, just riding along. enjoy
    Dualsport Chic and Rusty Rocket like this.
  15. animalmx305

animalmx305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me and three other buddies heading up to do the two routes Saturday 8am ferry Winstead to Greenfield Saturday and beginning of puppy dog and the western mass trail back to Connecticut on Sunday
  16. bargeman

bargeman n00b

Oddometer:
    Did the TMT and lower puppy great trails, would enjoy your report on the western ma trail, hopefully a smooth boat ride with Dorian going to the eastered, fair winds
  17. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Western Mass Trail? Not familiar with it, got a link?
  18. Joebmetro

Joebmetro 18 Husky 701E Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing
  19. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    i did the ct-tmt-lower puppy last weekend
    was awesome
    another western trail sounds great
    post up some gpx tracks please
  20. Addapost