Trans-Mass Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Hulked Up, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Get yourself one of these:

https://www.jimapco.com/shop/berkshire-county/

I used to lay out the Berkshire Big Adventure before moving south. This map was my bible. There are a lot of roads on here that are not well known by even locals.
    Also the Rubel Bicycle Map:

http://bikemaps.com/regmaps.htm

with these 2 maps you will have every legal road available to you. Many of the roads are more like trails, but you don't need an ORV sticker.

Have at it, and keep us posted
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  2. Joebmetro

Joebmetro 18 Husky 701E Supporter

Oddometer:
    We've most likely met, i've done the big bike ride 5-6 times starting when Vince was still riding it
  3. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    Most likely. I never missed one till this year. I even made it back from Tenn for 2018 ride. I used to go out with Vince to pre-ride the routes in the spring looking for downed trees, closed roads or missing bridges.
    I took over the routes and mapping when Vince got sick. One way to learn stuff is to go out and try to make a loop for others.
  4. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    a pic of me reading the riot act (rider's meeting)
    [​IMG]
    Joebmetro and Brutalguyracing like this.
  5. animalmx305

animalmx305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is Western part....I downloaded it from adventure Rider I think people called it the transmass alternate route

Attached Files:

6. Hich76

Hich76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. animalmx305

animalmx305 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Oh I've already got that one. I just call it Trans-MA Trail Alt.
    animalmx305 likes this.
  9. KMM696

KMM696 Devout Agnostic

Oddometer:
    Just got back from running the western (alternate) from Rt 143 up to Greenfield then back to 143 on the Eastern (original) route. Dampish in spots from Saturdays rain. Took about 3:20, I wasn't exactly pushing hard. Saw a few other bikes out there: a white F800GS in Ashfield, pair of red thumpers and what I thought was a KLR.

Wish I could've run the southern half too, but I have a rehearsal in Chicopee to get to. Next time. My old magnetic tank bag ended up in my lap in a few spots, going to have to do something there.

Beautiful riding day. Getting more comfortable with the big blue whale off pavement, except for steep downhill corners. Need more seat time, I suspect.
  10. Hich76

Hich76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Headin up to do both the TMT and the westside(making a loop) this Sunday thru Tuesday. Staying at the Blackberry River Inn. Only 4.5 miles to Wheeler Rd. All dirt except Rt. 44. Will check out Lone Oak Campground too, just west of the Inn. Riding Yamaha 250 WRR.
    Blackberry River Inn to TMT 2019-09-27 .jpg
  11. DrPayne

DrPayne Not a doctor

Oddometer:
    Went up Sunday to do the whole thing, north to south. A little chilly in the morning, but it was a really nice ride! I was being followed by my girlfriend who is a little timid about off-roading, and she loved it. Lots of scenic farms, some shady woods, and plenty of pavement to catch one's breath on. I also found the GPS track to be faultless, viewed through my new phone mount...
    DSC_0605.JPG

Conditions were great, nice and dry...until just south of MA-9 where it dips down to a narrow dirt road following a little river. There we found the one mud puddle which I was not ready for. My bike landed on top of my right foot which, it turns out, is probably the best extremity to damage and still have a chance to drive home to coastal CT. Hopefully I'll heal fast enough to get another crack at the trail before snow starts falling, but at least we got a really nice half day with cool air, warm sunshine, and the smell of freshly fallen leaves. Aside from that little surprise, I think it's a great ride for beginners or those looking for just a gentle ride through plenty of small towns to take a break in, where they don't care if you're Cummington or Goshen...:rofl
    DSC_0598.JPG
    Hich76, KMM696 and sanders446 like this.
  12. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Sounds like River Rd. in Cummington claimed another victim. It can be slippery as hell. DAMHIK. There is a very simply work-around if folks want to avoid it when it seems too wet. Just go a bit further West on Rt. 9 and turn left onto Worthington Rd..
  13. ctoldie

ctoldie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But then you will miss a fun section on the ride. Not that difficult even when wet.
  14. DrPayne

DrPayne Not a doctor

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it was honestly the most fun part of the ride until that muddy spot took me by surprise. I'm pretty sure I did everything wrong when I hit that mud pit, and I wouldn't hesitate to take it on again. I bet it's often wet there though because while it hadn't rained in at least a couple days, it is a pretty shady spot and with the cooler weather it wasn't being encouraged to dry very fast. It was just the right moisture content, super slick like grease! It was the only moisture we saw, and the rest of the trail to the north was bone dry.
  15. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    IMO tho it can be “technical”, there are much more scenic roads on the TMT. How technical/difficult it is depends on the conditions and your tires. I’ve ridden it maybe a dozen times. Only once, in Spring, it was very wet, mossy and slick and my “big bike” with 70/30 tires squirted right out from under me; no damage done and I just rode on. Just saying there is a way around if one feels more cautious than adventurous.
    DrPayne likes this.
  16. 1 Wheel Drive

1 Wheel Drive Flatus Antiquous Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just noticed. flei, when did you move from NH to taxachusetts?
  17. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    You must be mistaking me for another inmate; I’ve never lived in NH; been in Western MA since 1978.
  18. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks like the sign on Shaw rd in Goshen. I used to live there in the 70’s and again in 84-86. I love that area!
  19. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn’t know you lived out there. You lucky dude you.
  20. KMM696

KMM696 Devout Agnostic

Oddometer:
    If it's the section of River road I'm thinking of, it's a thick layer of leaf mulch over some old asphalt paving that keeps the water up on top to trap the unsuspecting. I have some distinct memories of trying to extract a Volvo 240 with crappy tires from there looking for a good spot for some underage beer consumption. My Tenere did some sliding around last time too.

Still live about 5 miles away, too. :D