1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Trans-Mass Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Hulked Up, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did curtan rd last week
    It was a challenge
  2. SS RICH

SS RICH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks fantastic Bill. Nice and peaceful

Enjoy yourself.
  3. DrHeinrich

DrHeinrich um.... huh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice ride today - skirting the rain at the start, very little traffic. Just did "the southern loop" up to Peru and back down.

IMG_20200816_113859_1~3.jpg
  4. open1mind

open1mind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_3705.jpeg

So thank you to the good folks that put the TMT together. I had a nice south to north trip on Saturday. Good fun
  5. guywithchickens

guywithchickens Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the alternate TMT from N to S yesterday. Thanks to Hich76 for the GPX (link).

Capture.PNG

I had the whole route to myself. Dry and no issues, but there are tiny washouts here and there from recent heavy rains. One section (Pine Hill Rd out of Conway?) had big "Road Closed" signs, but there wasn't a gate, so I pretended I didn't see them. East St. in Plainfield was a fun two-track.

IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg

When I stopped for the above picture, I failed to put my side stand all the way down. We took a little dirt nap.

IMG_2308.jpg
    Hobbomock, BigOgre, Hich76 and 2 others like this.
  6. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Many of the"Road Closed" signs are for liability reasons IMO. So if a vehicle is stuck and/ or damaged, you can go after the town for damages. But you can still use the road(at your own risk)
    flei likes this.
  7. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Pine Hill Rd. and others like it are "officially" closed because the town does not want to maintain them any longer. Locals use them though, and I've seen the farmer at the end of Pine Hill using his tractor to maintain it.

I often take public roads in MA with "CLOSED" signs and never have had an issue with any authorities. If there are barriers that are set up so that they allow motorcycles to reasonably pass through, I figure I'm good to go. I won't drive around gates, or use roads clearly posted that they are off-limits to motor vehicles. State Parks and National Forests have their own set of rules about road closures and are more likely to police closed roads.

Remember to ride respectfully, as closed roads are at times used by walkers, bikers, horses, etc. who are NOT expecting to see motorcycles, and people who live on these roads are also not used to seeing vehicles; please do not piss these people off by riding like a squid.
  8. Hich76

Hich76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did a TMT/NEBDR COMBO Moto ride from Summit Hill Campground. Just the Combo Loop is 72 Miles.
    TMTNEBDR COMBO 2020-08-29 131722.jpg
    20200819_170235.jpg 20200820_124204.jpg 20200820_132754.jpg 20200820_132847.jpg 20200821_112137.jpg 20200821_130245.jpg 20200821_140520.jpg

Attached Files:

9. kysteez

kysteez n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone ridden the TMT recently? Going to head up from Otis today with the gf if anyone is around.
  10. guywithchickens

Oddometer:
    I did a few weeks ago. We have had very little rain, so should be dry (and dusty).
  11. kysteez

kysteez n00b

Oddometer:
    Rode the TMT 2 up on the multi, everything was in great shape IMG_5661.jpg
    Rusty Rocket likes this.
  12. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazing the amount of money being spent on power line upgrade that is going on all over, I don't know where that photo is taken but here in sothwest corner of NH Most all the power lines are like that roads for crane trucks to get in and some of them require serious $$$$ to make them so.
  13. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    That wood gets used more than once most cases. But still expensive
  14. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm not just talking about the wood because that is only placed in sensitive areas, I'm talking about the mega tons of gravel being brought in to turn serious 4x4 trails/roads into super highways. It amazing to see miles of extremly rugged road turned into a road capable of supporting massive cranes. Tens of millions being spent on upgrading the towers.
  15. guywithchickens

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I did both versions of the TMT yesterday. Beautiful ride, great fall colors, perfect weather. Trail is is good shape everywhere.

We found a fantastic sandwich place in South Deerfield near the northern terminus. Highly recommended: https://www.yelp.com/biz/bba-deli-market-south-deerfield

IMG_2466.jpg

Here are both GPX files (northbound & southbound). We started in Winsted, CT. These include route extension to the lunch spot.

Note that the extension to lunch goes right by a huge field of marijuana. I was looking at it as we rode by wondering what those strange plants were, then it dawned on me. First time I've ever seen that.

Attached Files:

Hobbomock likes this.
  16. guywithchickens

Oddometer:
    Not sure why the second GPX doesn't show. Here it is:

Attached Files:

Rusty Rocket likes this.
  17. couchtater

couchtater hunting wabbits

Oddometer:
    I'll be damned. This goes right by my house. I guess I should go ride the whole thing.
    Addapost likes this.
  18. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always wondered if the people live along these routes notice the increase of motorcycles going by.
  19. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    The ADV bikes aren't really noticeable (if they have legal mufflers and aren't riding like squids).

OTOH, cruisers with their Screaming Eagle pipes and loud stereos that I can hear coming from literally a mile away sure are! Luckily cruiser season is brief here.
  20. KMM696

KMM696 Devout Agnostic

Oddometer:
    I've noticed more ADV bikes and dualsports around the TMT and NEBDR, but I'm looking for them. I'm not sure a muggle would have picked up on the increase. I've only talked to one person living on the TMT who noticed the increase in bikes, and it was on a "Huh, more motorcycles... Wonder why? Anyway, time for a sandwich." level.