Trans Missouri Trail TMOT Central

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by Ed M, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Ed M

Ed M Collector of RFIDs

Oddometer:
    What started as a project to keep me busy while recovering from surgery from a fractured fibula / displaced foot/ cracked tibia has taken me way too long to complete. It has given me much respect for people like Big Dog, Sieg, CannonShot and so many others who are able to create interesting tracks.

First off I need to thank Sieg for helping me with the southern section of this trail from Willow Springs to just south of Herman, it made my life so much simpler. Next are the Adventure Palooza guys John and Dale who were able to ride some of the very early versions of the northern portion for me while I was still recovering from my injuries. Without all of their assistance I could not have completed this.

This version of the Trans Missouri Trail (TMOT) Central is a series of tracks running from the Northwest Corner of Missouri at the town of Eagleville to the south central Missouri town of Willow Springs. I chose the town of Eagleville as it intersects with the very southwest corner of the Trans Iowa Trail or TIT, Willow Springs was chosen as it intersects with Bash3r’s TMOT South, and Big Dog’s TMOT East, which going west connects to the Trans Arkansas Trail in Blue Eye MO. Going eastward will connect to the southern end of Sieg’s Trans Missouri River Ride, follow this ride north where it connects to the southeast corner of the TIT, follow this trail west to Eagleville and you have an extensive circular route that is mostly in Missouri. Also noted is that TMOT Central also comes very close to Cannonshot’s Ozark Adventure Trail.

Siegs Trans Missouri River Ride (TMORR): https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/siegs-trans-mo-river-ride-tmorr.1237485/

Bash3r and Big Dogs Trans Missouri Trail (TMOT): https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-trans-missouri-trail-the-tmot.649724/

kimzx1000r Trans Iowa Trail (TIT) (NOTE: 0nly southern portion of tracks are needed): https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/trans-iowa-trail-tit.680561/

Cannonshot's Ozark Adventure Tour (OZAT): https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ozark-adventure-tour-ozat-mo-ar.1223209/

Warnings, Cautions, Advisories, etc, etc. The northern portion includes a great deal of farmland, be cautious of farm vehicles, tall crops that can obscure visibility on corners, and there are a large amount of blind intersections on these gravel roads that are not marked with any stop, yield, or street signs – pay attention to your GPS and always with the thought there may be traffic about to cross in front of you that you won’t be able to see until the last possible moment. When I started riding these roads last year a high number of roads were mostly dirt with a little gravel on top, this has recently changed as a great deal of these roads are now covered with fresh gravel several inches thick, be prepared for this. Also I highly suggest you travel with paper maps, bridge replacement detours can happen at any time, in some places you may be able to cross the creek, but for the most part you may have to detour several miles. Another issue I came across last fall is that the northern section is mostly one big flood plain, gravel roads, paved county highways etc flood easily be prepared for major reroutes. If you plan on camping at any of the state parks on the way, reservations are the best way to go, on weekends they require a two night stay. I did not have any issues with fuel stops, I have mentioned places to fuel up in my track notes especially in the northern portion of the track notes as gas station and convenience stores seem to be a little harder to find up there. The farther south it seems that there are more gas stations in smaller towns but that may be due to the fact there are more tourists traveling through. If in doubt fuel up.

Track Notes:

Track 1 Eagleville MO to Pershing State Park is 111 miles long, passes near Crowder State Park, goes through the small town of Trenton MO (food, fuel, etc), through Meadville (food if the diner across US HWY 36 is open, and fuel) goes to Locust Creek Covered Bridge State Historic Site (one of four remaining covered bridges left in MO, unfortunately you can’t drive or ride across it), goes through the small town of Linneus (food, fuel), and goes through Laclede (boyhood home town of General John Pershing) and ends just east of Pershing State Park (camping, hiking trails, etc) I recommend fueling up at Meadville, Linneus, or Laclede as the next fuel stop is about 90 miles away unless you stop in Marceline.

Track 1.1 is a short cut from Locust Creek Covered Bridge to Pershing State Park that bypasses Linneus and Laclede but takes you on US HWY 36

Track 2 Pershing State Park to Union Covered Bridge State Historical Site: 105 miles in length, passes near the town of Marceline (one of Walt Disney’s boyhood hometowns, they have converted an old Santa Fe Train Depot there as a museum to him, also fuel and food), most of the small towns near this track do not carry fuel or have food available, I have added a shortcut to this track that goes to Kaseyville Convenience Store that was not open the last time I went by there (March 2018) and Thomas Hill Reservoir that has a basic campground, Madison has fuel and food at a Caseys gas station, the track ends at Union Covered Bridge State Historic Site which is currently undergoing renovations and like Locust Creek Covered Bridge cannot be driven or ridden across. I recommend fueling up in Madison as the next gas stop is about 75 miles away

Track 2.1 Kayseyville / Thomas Hill Reservoir shortcut. Possible food, fuel, at Kaseyville Convenience Store as mentioned above, there is a basic campground near the water. Last summer when I crossed the bridge over the reservoir I was slightly distracted by four women in bikinis waving to me as I rode by LOL.

Track 3 Union Covered Bridge to Danville: 87 miles in length, this track has a very unusual old steel bridge with an optional creek crossing, passes near the town of Montgomery City (fuel, food, I recommend the HWY 19 Café), passes through Danville (fuel, food) near Graham Cave State Park (camping and trails)

Track 4 Danville to Mount Sterling: 107 miles in length this track meanders a bit on gravel roads between the towns of Danville and Herman MO to include the infamous Massas Creek Road, the track crosses the Missouri River and through the German town of Herman which is famous for the number of wineries, plenty of food, fuel, hotel and camping options, the convenience store in Mount Sterling has fuel and good food.

Track 4.1 Herman shortcut is a more direct route from Danville to Herman.

Track 5 Mount Sterling to Brumley: 91 miles in length this track runs through St Elizabeth (fuel, food), to Brumley. If you have ridden the Missouri Swinging Bridges Ride you will recognize some of the roads in this and the next two tracks. This track also crosses an abandoned railway know as the Colorado Midland Railway, this railway now belongs to the State of Missouri and is currently in the process of being converted to a trail system. Similar to the Katy Trail, it is known as the Rock Island Trail, the very western section from Pleasant Hill MO to Windsor MO has been completed it connects to the Katy Trail system there. Going eastward will be more time consuming and expensive as some of the old bridges were taken down years ago. I mention this as this track comes very close to one portion of the trail that includes a railway tunnel that is over 1200 feet in length, unfortunately access is limited (private property surrounds the tunnel) but I hope someday they will provide public access to walk the tunnel without have to walk or ride from a trailhead miles away. This track also travels next to Lake of the Ozarks State Park (camping)

Track 5.1 Barren Fork Crossing is an interesting creek crossing.

Track 6 Brumley to Beulah: 86 miles in length this track features a couple of suspension bridges, a bat cave, crosses I-44 at the western edge of St Roberts (fuel, food, hotels, camping), and treks through the Mark Twain Nation Forest to the small town of Beulah.

Track 7 Beulah to Willow Springs 75 miles in length this track is the very southern portion of this trip and as mentioned above connects to Bash3r’s TMOT South, and Big Dog’s TMOT East. Food and fuel can be found in Licking, Houston, and Willow Springs.

Attached Files:

mo_rider, bryce1552 and sieg like this.
  2. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many thanks!
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  4. GotFog

GotFog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ed. Imagine what you could have done if you had broken both legs!
    Ed M and sieg like this.
  5. Ed M

Ed M Collector of RFIDs

Oddometer:
    Um, unfortunately, I fractured the left fibula in Sept 2016, no surgery was required, was back to working on aircraft in November. Feb 2017 was when I crashed and messed up my right leg and foot, took until July before the doc would let me go back to work. So in essence I did break both legs just 5 months apart.
  6. RAGBrian

RAGBrian jonesing for a ride

Oddometer:
    Copied and saved! Thanks for all the hard work while you were laid up.
  7. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I’ll be riding some of these tracks, along with many of the connections.
  8. bryce1552

bryce1552 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is great and exactly what I was looking for, any recommendations for some really rough riding to hone my skills around the Winfield/St.Charles/STL Metro area? I really appreciate this post!
  9. Ed M

Ed M Collector of RFIDs

Oddometer:
    You might want to ask on the Missouri Adventure Riders section, I haven't ridden anything around that area. I'm sure there are a few individuals that wouldn't mind sharing tracks.
  10. Creekside

Creekside Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job Ed!
    Ed M likes this.
  11. BGBDWOLF

BGBDWOLF n00b

Oddometer:
    I know I am late to this party, but I will be checking this out.
    Ed M likes this.
  12. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just curious. Has the track been marked? This arrow is on the trail. It runs by my farm. I was wondering if someone didn’t put out these arrows.
    IMG_0020.JPG