1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Trans New Jersey Adventure Tour : July 6th, 7th and 8th

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by rob23, Jun 6, 2007.

1. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

more info: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214206

ride report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244610

Starting on Friday July 6th we’ll be leaving from High Point State Park Monument on a GPS guided tour of the entire state of New Jersey. The ride will end at the Cape May Light House on Sunday July 8th. The route has been setup for big bikes (600cc+) and consists of twisties, rough pavement, smooth sweepers, hairpins turns, gravel roads, dirt roads and sand roads (sometimes sand will be deep). No trail is used throughout the course and all the roadways are legal for vehicular traffic.

I categorize this ride as an adventure tour and not a dual-sport. If you don’t like riding twisty roads or on the street this really isn’t the ride for you. The entire route will cover approximately 600 miles where gas stops will be available every 75 miles. Expect to ride 250+ miles a day.

Since this is not an AMA Sanctioned Event this year I’m keeping the group size to a minimum. Riders will leave in groups of four and will be assigned a key time as to when they’re group will begin. I am not charging for the route or for the ride. If you can not make these dates other pick-up rides may occur though out the year hosted by the other route builders. This is the first attempt to ride the entire course so there still may be some wrinkles in the route to iron out.

Sections 1 - 4 will be run on the first day with camping at Washington Crossing State Park. Sections 4 - 5 will be run on the second day with camping at Bass River State Park. The last day will consist of sections 6 and 7 where the ride will end in Cape May.

So, if you’re interested in riding on all three days and completing the entire route please PM me to sign up. Please include your email address, phone number, cell phone, emergency contact, bike type, years navigating via GPS, years riding dirt, years riding street and years riding sand. Also include any riders you wish to ride with. Please only PM me if you are certain you can do all three days. The course will be long and difficult for any beginners. The point is to ride the entire route so I will not be providing the route for day riders as of yet. The route will not be provided until a week before the ride because we are still working out some details.

Rider Requirements:
    • Experienced with riding on pavement, gravel, dirt and deep sand
    • GPS
    • The routes have been created with Garmin MapSource v6.12.3 City Navigator North America v8.
    • If you GPS is not Garmin compatible a GPX route will be provided but the rider must convert the route into a compatible format for his GPS unit
    • I will not have time for tech support or trouble shooting GPS issues
    • Riders are required to make their own camping/hotel accommodations
    • There will be no support vehicles, sweep riders or guides provided
    • Riders are responsible for guiding themselves and must be fully self sufficient for navigation, gas, break downs and possible injury
    • All roads are legal roads on public land where all traffic laws apply
    • Roads will not be closed down and therefore must be shared with others users like pedestrians, horse back riders, cars and trucks, ect.
    • Riders must be able to start the route at the assigned key time
    • Riders must pair up and use the buddy system at all times, no lone riders
    Campsites:
    --

July 6th

26 Minutes from Bull's Island
    --
    * Name: Mountain View Campground
    Number: (908) 996-2953
    Url: http://www.mountain-view-campground.com
    Directions: From I-78 exit 11, Pattenburg exit. Follow 614 through Pattenburg to Little York. (11 ft. 6 inch overpass - call for alternate directions).Turn right at crossroad in Little York. Go 1/4 mile, turn right onto Goritz Rd. Look for sign at office. 6 miles from I-78.
    Cost: $20

2 minutes away from Bull's Island
    --
    Columbia Valley Campground
    (973) 691-0596
    3 Ghost Pony Rd.
    Andover, NJ 07821
    $20

30 minutes North of Bull's Island
    --
    Name: Jugtown Mountain Campsites
    Number: (908) 735-5995
    Address: 1074 State Route 173, Asbury, New Jersey 08802
    Info: Open all year
    Directions: Going west on I-78 take exit 11, then Route 173 west for 1.5 miles to top of mountain. Going east on I-78 take exit 7, then Route 173 east for 3 miles to top of mountain.
    Cost:

* Bull's Island
    --
    2185 Daniel Bray Highway
    Stockton, NJ 08559
    (609) 397-2949

July 7th
    --
    * Wading Pines Campground
    85 Godfrey Bridge Rd Chatsworth, NJ 08019
    (888) 726-1313
    (central)

Baker's Acres
    230 Willets Avenue
    Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey 08087
    (609) 296-2664
    (east)

Sea Pirate Campground
    Route 9, P.O. Box 271 West Creek, NJ 08092
    609-296-7400
    (east)

Bass River State Forest
    762 Stage Rd
    Tuckerton, NJ 08087
    (609) 296-1114

Bass River requires a two night stay for advanced reservations. However, they told me you can show up the day of and get a one night. They have plenty of spots but may fill up. Wading Pines may be a better option.

Note * many campsites allow up to six people per site so each group could share a site and split the cost.
  2. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    Can we go with a buddy who has a GPS if we dont????

:scratch
  3. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    well, ok

One gps for every two riders.

That's it though. Half the challenge/fun of this ride is the navigational aspect. We tried to build it with route sheet aids but it became very difficult. So, gps is definately needed.
  4. bzack

bzack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ride Ride Ride, Need to get upto speed as far as riding in the sand is concerned. Wont be able to keep up. Am gonna keep practising and getting lost in the pines.
  5. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need sand practice as well and will try and get some in the upcoming weeks. Is there a deadline for signing up? I am not known for riding over my head (anymore?) since bones take longer to heal now. So I want to make sure I am good with the sand first.
  6. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    Since the ride is self guided you can go at your own pace but you should have good (very good) experience with riding in sand in order to be able to finish the route. This is not a race so I don't expect anyone to be riding over their head or at a very fast pace. Finishing each section before night fall is possible with an average speed under 40mph.

There is no deadline for signing up. Once the quota has been reached I'll be closing the registration. So, first come first served.

For anyone seeking sand practice I suggest riding in Wharton State Forest, east of Route 206 and Atsion Lake. There's plenty of wide open deep sand roads to learn on.
  7. ldeikis

ldeikis Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob--

I'm so happy you guys did this. I don't own a GPS yet and two of my good friends are moving out west that Sunday so I don't know that I'll make it... but you guys will be making this ride available as a GPS file once I have one, right? I'm really interested to see what you've put together.

Luke
  8. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    Hey Luke,

If you want to ride all three days I'll navigate for you within my subgroup of 4.
  9. Sandflea

Sandflea One Lump or Two?

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there's sand, some packed, some loose, some whoops, some real deep but you have to be willing to venture into the "hero" section. Just remember, the softer it is, the harder it is to ride it and it less it hurts when you fall. There's water too....but that will be a surprise....
  10. pinehollow

pinehollow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm very excited about going on this ride!
    I'm thinking I may have the wife drop me off on Friday morning.
    Riding the TE 450 that many miles in three consecutive days, I may not be able to sit for a while. As you know, she wasn't built for comfort, so I figure I'll save myself from riding up to the start.
    Maybe I'll order one of those blow up donut things to sit on at work monday morning...

What time should I plan on being up there on Friday morning?

Todd
  11. NJjeff

NJjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rob
    Once again thanks, this is a great idea for a ride.

Question.
    I have a Magellan GPS. Do you or anyone else know how to convert the Garmin files?
    If not could you send me a simple fake route (just a few turns and a waypoint) just to see if I can get it running.
  12. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    I don't know off hand you chould ask around here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

I'll send you a garmin and gpx file for you to mess with.

Jeff, if your coming send me your info including your email so I can email you the files.

Thanks,
  13. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    Yeah, get a ride up, once everyone signs up I'll give you a time to start.

It's safe to say we can all meet at Eliias Cole at 6:30am.

Put a 17t CS sprocket on in order to make the bike more street worthy. Get one of those buffalo skin seat covers; they look stupid but they work. Practice riding side-saddle. Carry a spare gas can or get a larger tank so you can at least ride for 75 miles. Try not to make us all feel stupid riding these big pigs! An xr400 will also be on the ride so you won't be alone.
  14. BobbyC

BobbyC n00b

Oddometer:
    I might be able to make a day or 2 of this.

Pinehollow - Get some padded shorts. I have a pair of SixSixOne and they're great when I ride my DRZ on DS rides.
  15. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
  16. pinehollow

pinehollow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I called Bulls Island Recreation Center and left a message to see if they had sites available.

Their website and message indicated they are running on reduced capacity of 21 sites and no showers available this season.

I am looking to book the closest available.

Columbia Valley # is disconnected. Out of Business? Operating under a new name? Anybody know?

Mountain View is alive and well and seemed to have plenty of sites available.

Jugtown: Sites available. 4 People (max) on a site =$34, 2=$24

Standing by to hear back from Bulls Island, or if anyone knows about Columbia Valley.
  17. NJjeff

NJjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rob
    I sent you a PM
  18. BobbyC

BobbyC n00b

Oddometer:
    No prob. I understand completely.
  19. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    There's plenty of open spots and a maybe even a backyard party on Saturday after the ride :evil . Don't let the threat of a little sand deter you..

We're still working out the camping situation and will let everyone know where they may make their arrangements.

[​IMG]
  20. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    Eugene and I rode parts of sections 5 and 6 on Sunday. The 450s did well and we didn't even run out of gas. However, I could have done better with a larger cs sprocket for the open stuff or my 650. Navigation was seemless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]