Trans New Jersey Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by rob23, Jul 12, 2007.

1. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:

Section 7 would be easy enough. Section 6 can be tricky mostly because of the mud holes, tighter two track roads and some gps navigational challenges. If you're good with a gps you can always bypass the tough sections. Section 5 would be a good introduction to sand; for me it's easy for a sand noob it may be hell on earth?

Regardless of which section you ride it's all fun!
  2. Nickjc

Nickjc Titanium Junkie

Oddometer:
    N41.15.23.97W74.29.15.28in the Hills of GlenwoodNJ
    there are dirt roads in NJ...northern NJ...damn I have lived in sussex co...about 25 min from high point and I thought it was all paved....most of the 'paved' dirt I see are the secondary roads in vt....huh who would have thought....:rofl
  3. Dirtmongrel

Dirtmongrel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a question about section 5.1. I believe designed by GerryNJ. I hope you know something that I don’t. There is a section of trail that goes thru the Lakehurst NAV (naval base). I ride in that section of Colliers Mills all the time and I don’t believe you can get thru that last 2 mile section before it merges onto RT539. When going down that trail there are huge signs that say “Military Base Do Not Enter” followed by arrest, prosecution, blah blah blah. Some sections surrounding the base are fenced off, I can’t recall if that one is though?
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    I only ask this question because I thought the TNJT was supposed to be fully dual sport legal. Do you ride that last stretch of trail? Or am I just being a pansy by not going past DO NOT TRESPASS signs? I understand that on Google maps satellite view there is a trail that runs straight thru, but I’ve never been able to go any further.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Do you live close to there? That’s my midweek stomping grounds, maybe we should get together for some rides. I don’t have GPS so most of my adventures entail getting lost or stuck for a good length of time, but the fun is o-plenty. There are some much nicer/narly trails within that little state park then you can see on the map. Sand and woops experience is a must if you get off the beaten path. I really need to find a riding partner, riding by yourself can get dangerous.
  4. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    You are correct GerryNJ designed that route.

The entire route is legal. However, roads and signs change all the time. We bypass the military area. If you follow the intended route you shouldn't see any signs like you described. I've ridden this section several times without an issue. However, you are in the Fort Dix area and could easily get on the wrong trail. I also noticed some new dirt roads were recently bulldozed in that area.

If your in the area come join us at the Clarksburg Inn at 8pm on 12/3 to find out where the good trails are..
    :freaky
  5. rgon

rgon explore cordilleras

Oddometer:
    hello! count me in. i'm preping my bike,drz400, for the '08 summer time to make it road and trails worthy. three days (fri-sun) ride looks good to me.
  6. Tammy

Tammy Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer:
    Rob,
    If I start up top "north" and ride down "south" how far can I get on a DL650.. I've done all of old mine rd and any dirt roads around that part of the Del Gap on the DL but not any deep sand.. How far down is the deep sand??
  7. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode the TNJ today in reverse - South to North - from S3004 to S 1078. Then looped back to my house in Whitehouse Station.

The gravel / dirt roads in the Peapack-Gladstone area were the most fun, but the entire route was a blast. Some icy patches today.

I hope to do the entire route in a weekend in the spring / summer.

Thanks to all for putting this route together.
  8. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    South of 195 is where the Sand Starts.
  9. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    COOL!!! Any pics?
  10. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry. No pics. I ruined my camera with dust on the TAT this year.

Just got a new camera rig. Hope to try it out soon.
  11. RiotPat

RiotPat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn, how'd I miss this for so long?
    Nice job Rob. :clap

I'm gonna be all over this. I live maybe 40 minutes from the start (North). The first 45+ degree weekend I get and I'm gone.
  12. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be sure to post when you plan to ride in Feb / Mar. I may join you.
  13. jdaniele

jdaniele Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed the report it looks like you all had a great time. I have been longing to get off the street for a while now this is a ride I could see myself doing. A question for ROB23 I see you were on a f650gs how was the bike. I have my eye on a used 03 Dakar, I saw the new KLR at the bike show it was nice but the BMW just is just calling my name. I also want to do some long hauls and camping this summer. Can you tell me how you like the F bike and how it was on this particular ride.

Regards JD
  14. Adam E

Adam E halfway there Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. toofast4uu

toofast4uu adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heads up...I routinely ride the routes from 195 to 539/70 Wawa...

Over the last month, the military has put up a fence at the end of Colliers Mill WMA (where colliers mill meets the military property)...The fence breaks up the route, but all you need to do is detour out to 539, and re-enter the route at the next dirt road after the visible fence ends. Sounds confusing, but it's really not..

Word of caution. If you try to go around the fence, you'll make it about a quarter mile up the trail, spend the next hour getting your bike out of a swamp...Don't ask me how I know...:D
  16. njpaddler

njpaddler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Feb./Mar. I'll do some weekend rides, too. I'm near Mt. Laurel, so I head into the Pines regularly on Sunday mornings, & now that I've got a DL650 those sand roads are calling me.
  17. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    OUT FUCK'N STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap

I'm there,i'm there,i'm there!
    With or without the friends and family.I'm set'n up the DR now!
    Out standing!
    Did i say i was happy about this trail?
    Thank you very much to all the guys that put the time and effort in to map'n it all out and posting it for others.I'd like to meet up with you guys and buy you a beer.:lol3
  18. rob23

rob23 on the pipe

Oddometer:
    YOUR WELCOME, I love beer..

I just spent a lot of time combing over the trail and adding in MORE DIRT espeically in the northern half of the state. This year I'll be starting from 287 and Skyline drive and hitting up Split Rock before going north to High Point. I also added some nice vantage points like Sunrise Mountain.

This year we'll be zig zagging through all the major forest in the pines. A vast upgrade from last year's Section 5 route.

I'm also crossing over into Mauricetown and adding in some nice stuff from that side down in Hammer Country.

I'm planning on hosting a ride on 06/20-22nd (longest period of daylight of the year).

This year's route should be a full 1k and may take a full four days of ridding to complete it in comfort.

I will be pre-ridding the route soon so email me if your interested in laying down some tracks..
  19. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice can't wait to see the new route! Have to ride it this year.
  20. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    I will email you.Me and 3or4 of my fellow ds riders are putting together a plan now.I wish i could ride along in June,but i'm head'n out for Nova Soctia the morning of the 20th.
    Don't know if it'll be summer or fall yet,one good friend has to figure out leave.You never know he might be dual sport'n in Afanistan.[he has before]