Trans-Ohio Trail planning thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by dox, Dec 7, 2011.

1. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    Ideas, planning and reconnaissance for a potential Trans-Ohio Trail.

And... Go.
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:

"Trans" routes are getting to be passe. Maybe think about a great Ohio adventure loop instead? Something that concentrates on the best riding instead of achieving the trans? :D
  3. dox

Oddometer:
    Swingset already has those covered, and has done an excellent job.

If you want loops, take a look at his Big Bike Adventure Loops.
  4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  5. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    I'm down with the TOT...guess I'm gonna have to get a GPS for my XR...or at least another mount for my Zumo
  6. vivid dadas

vivid dadas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    Can most of the present Buckeye Trail be ridden on a motorbike?
  8. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Seems like someone started a thread based on one of my hair brained ideas last winter and it went down like the Titanic!

From what I've been able to import, the preferred roads, improved and unimproved, give Ohio a 5 o'clock shadow like a mall bopping abercrombi yuppy.

My original thought was to give someone who was doing the Trans WV trail to East Liverpool an alternate route back home, especially if a north south route from SW Ohio is laid out back to Bluefield, WV or continue SW into Kentucky or Tennessee.

Another option, a large smilie face
  9. mgorman

Oddometer:

Here in NEO most of it has been removed from private property, it follows either roads, rail beds or towpaths or is in the park systems

look for a blue rectangle in portrait orientation on trees, posts, etc.
  10. dox

Oddometer:
    The smilie face sounds like fun. :D

My thought was always to make a Trans Ohio Trail through southern Ohio, linking pig-friendly gravel and twisty two-lane going from somewhere Southwest (Georgetown) to somewhere Southeast (Marietta-ish).

It wouldn't be hard to link the eastern side to East Liverpool, I suppose... but I don't know much of anything north of Clarington on that side of the river.
  11. vivid dadas

Oddometer:
    I certainly haven't been on all of it, but I've been on a lot of it. From what I've been on, it would be very conservative to say that 80% is on public roads. It's probably actually much higher. I'm "responsible" for maintaining the short 3 mile off road section in Salt Fork. I know the trail pretty well from Bowerston to Chesterhill. There are a couple of short off road sections up around Clendining and Tappan lakes, another 1 mile long off road section at Piedmont, another short off road section just north of Caldwell, and two more sections over in AEP land. I worked for a week on an off road section down in Shawnee State Forest, where we built a stone retaining wall on an off road section that will last a thousand years.

Ive also spent a week working on an off road section of what was once towpath around Defiance/Napoleon. I'm sure you are not supposed to now ride motorcycles on that, I may be able to find some pictures.
  12. dox

Oddometer:
    Mike - If you don't have the Garmin 24k Ohio Topos, I can help you out there.
  13. EJV

EJV Jeep.

Oddometer:
    Too bad we don't live in Indiana, then it would be The Trans Indiana Trail. :rofl

East Liverpool sounds like a good start point. It seems I am always out there.

EJ
  14. vivid dadas

Oddometer:
    I found some pics. These were stamped 2006. I don't have any pics of the wall we built down in Shawnee, but here are some pics from a week of trail building up between Defiance and Napoleon. This was a walk up to the old towpath on the Miami and Erie Canal, we were moving the Buckeye Trail from the road up to the old abandoned towpath.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This work was mostly all done, "by hand" with hand tools. We had a little chainsaw work here and there. The old BT guys have some pretty high standards relative to trail grade and width, everything has to be "grubbed out." This is Jim Sprague, he's an old BT guy, some kind of retired college professor, in his late 70's and very tough.
    [​IMG]

The guy on the left is "Herb." Until very recently he spent 1/2 the year out in Wyoming on a ranch and hiking the backcountry. He is a real hardballer from the old school.
    [​IMG]

Here's the trail crew, this was early spring, everyone was tent camping. They dug this pit and were cooking something, I don't remember what, a critter like a deer or elk.
    [​IMG]
  15. mgorman

Oddometer:

WOW!!! WNF quad trails aren't that wide!! Did you make it that wide to get trucks up there?
  16. mgorman

Oddometer:

You'll have to enlighten me, none of my garmins accept topo quads, they were made for BMW road couches, however I do have map source.
  17. MrFurious

MrFurious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can tell you right now what's left of most of the tow path along the Miami-Erie Canal is off limits to motorized vehicles of any type. In the last few years the various regional canal preservation groups have done a LOT to make that the case.
  18. Buckeye56

Buckeye56 Batoutahelius

Oddometer:
    Where does one find these routes? When I searched the forums I didn't get any results.

TIA.
  19. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

best bet would probably be to send him a pm and ask for them
  20. mgorman

Oddometer:
    Looks like my project has a hiccup in it. The fields for surface type aren't matching the data sheet. Roads that I know are dirt are showing up as chip and seal